FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Well, I think I need to find a different food for Charley. The Acana duck or lamb plus a coconut oil supplement seems to be too rich. The Acana food is now grain free but the problem continues. Charley has had hyper-salivation issues this year which he didn't have on blue buffalo so I need to rule out food. Not sure what to try next, maybe Fromm since so many find success with it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My two pups are having the exact same reaction as Buttercup had to her food, right after eating extreme bloodshot eyes and extremely pink faces as well as very watery eyes.
So hoping that V-Dog solves all these problems as it's no fun trying food after food all with poor results.

I assume when you say 100% peanut butter you're making your own as do we and the dogs love it.
In the few days that my guys have been on V-Dog I have seen remarkable improvements already which is just amazing to me to have it react that quick.

Will be keeping an eye out for your updates as i'm just as curious about this as you are.
Best of luck to you and Buttercup!

[MENTION=10979]Bella and Dozers Dad[/MENTION]

Are you still feeding the V-dog? If so, curious to see how it's going since this post was back in Nov?

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
@Bella and Dozers Dad

Are you still feeding the V-dog? If so, curious to see how it's going since this post was back in Nov?

Hello TyTysmom

Yes they are both doing very well on V-Dog but I have since add a bunch of toppers to the V-Dog kibble and it's been work out great for us. On my dozer, his tear stains are completely gone, they do not get pink face any more and there eyes are not blood shot any more after eating there meals.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello TyTysmom

Yes they are both doing very well on V-Dog but I have since add a bunch of toppers to the V-Dog kibble and it's been work out great for us. On my dozer, his tear stains are completely gone, they do not get pink face any more and there eyes are not blood shot any more after eating there meals.

Thanks for the reply! This is one food I was researching. We are in the middle of trying different foods, and to date nothing has helped. We've done Natural Balance - Salmon/Sweet Potato. Most recently, Fromms Pork & Peas, and Lamb & Lentil. Both are still giving him red eyes, red face, even to the point where he scratches and it bleeds! I was looking into V-dog, The Honest Kitchen, and maybe trying one more Fromm flavor.... but there isn't too much feedback out there on the Vdog besides their website. I'd much rather here it from someone on here, etc. What kind of toppers are you added if I may ask? Did you see a huge difference? How quick? Tyson is white & I see it rather quickly, within a few days.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
For breakfast they get a cup of kibble, 1/3 cup of warm water, sliced banana one day and blueberries the next.

For lunch a cup of kibble, 1/3 cup of warm water, one leaf of kale sliced up,1/16 cup of Chia seeds,1/3 cup of Kefir, and I alternate bwteen one Sardine one day and the next they get 2.5 oz of Fermented fish stock which replaces the 1/3 cup of warm water on that day.

For dinner cup of kibble, 1/3 cup of warm water,1/8 cup of raw Pumpkin Seeds,about half a cup of choped up raw Broccoli, two table spoons of coconut oil.

Sardines have to be water packed....no oil or salt. Im about to order some Real kefir grains and make my own kefir. I am also about to order some Goji Berries which are very good for dogs as a topper or as a training treat.

HTH

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I was looking into V-dog, The Honest Kitchen, and maybe trying one more Fromm flavor.... but there isn't too much feedback out there on the Vdog besides their website. I'd much rather here it from someone on here, etc. What kind of toppers are you added if I may ask? Did you see a huge difference? How quick? Tyson is white & I see it rather quickly, within a few days.

We have been feeding V-dog to Buttercup for about 3 months and she just loves it. We love it, too, because she doesn't get the red itchy face and eyes after eating and her snoring has decreased a great deal since we switched from a limited ingredient salmon food. We first noticed a difference in just a few days. Buttercup has maintained her "ripped" muscle appearance. She sheds much less overall and her coat is shiny and no longer has bald spots.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
We have been feeding V-dog to Buttercup for about 3 months and she just loves it. We love it, too, because she doesn't get the red itchy face and eyes after eating and her snoring has decreased a great deal since we switched from a limited ingredient salmon food. We first noticed a difference in just a few days. Buttercup has maintained her "ripped" muscle appearance. She sheds much less overall and her coat is shiny and no longer has bald spots.

Glad to hear Buttercup is doing so well on her new food Minibull.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Glad to hear Buttercup is doing so well on her new food Minibull.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear Bella & Dozer are doing so well, too! We tried your method of making peanut butter and it worked beautifully. Everyone in the family loves it and I no longer have to spend a ton of money & shipping costs on totally natural PB! We might try your chia seed and raw pumpkin seed ideas as we have successfully used freshly ground flaxseed mixed with water to make a "gravy" on her food. We have yet to try the broccoli topper as lately there is no good-looking broccoli available in our area but maybe we could try a chopped kale leaf.

What is the benefit of fermented fish stock?

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Thanks! I'm glad to hear Bella & Dozer are doing so well, too! We tried your method of making peanut butter and it worked beautifully. Everyone in the family loves it and I no longer have to spend a ton of money & shipping costs on totally natural PB! We might try your chia seed and raw pumpkin seed ideas as we have successfully used freshly ground flaxseed mixed with water to make a "gravy" on her food. We have yet to try the broccoli topper as lately there is no good-looking broccoli available in our area but maybe we could try a chopped kale leaf.

What is the benefit of fermented fish stock?

Heres some reading on the benefits of fermented fish stock. > Fermented Fish Stock – Superfood? | Raw Dog Food | Healthy Dog Treats | Dog Training | Dog Daycare

I started reading up on Fermented Veggies for dogs and came across fermented fish stock and Im surprised that more folks are not using the stuff. I thought about fermenting some Sardines my self but the reading I've done says it is a fine line between fermented foods and rotted foods so I'll just keep buy Answers brand.

Real glad to hear you are making your own PB now.....I bet your dogs love it. And your idea of making a gravy using some flaxseed and water is awesome!

Take a look at this > 10 Human Superfoods Perfect for Sharing with Your Pet > 10 Human Superfoods Perfect for Sharing with Your Pet

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Heres some reading on the benefits of fermented fish stock. > Fermented Fish Stock – Superfood? | Raw Dog Food | Healthy Dog Treats | Dog Training | Dog Daycare

I started reading up on Fermented Veggies for dogs and came across fermented fish stock and Im surprised that more folks are not using the stuff. I thought about fermenting some Sardines my self but the reading I've done says it is a fine line between fermented foods and rotted foods so I'll just keep buy Answers brand.

Real glad to hear you are making your own PB now.....I bet your dogs love it. And your idea of making a gravy using some flaxseed and water is awesome!

Take a look at this > 10 Human Superfoods Perfect for Sharing with Your Pet > 10 Human Superfoods Perfect for Sharing with Your Pet

Thanks for the tips and for sharing that article and the fish stock link! We will definitely try the blueberries, kale, broccoli, chia, and sweet potato. I may try the fish stock but will likely have to pay for shipping with cooler b/c the company does not appear to sell in our area. How long does it keep after opening and does it last a while if you don't open it? I'd also like to try fermented veggies but wonder where to get them as I don't know how to do it myself.

These foods are all "anti-inflammatory" and in theory should further help to reduce allergic inflammation at its root cause. Buttercup's allergies are very well controlled right now (as long as I wage war on house dust and keep her from falling asleep with her nose buried in the carpet) but I'm slightly dreading the return of outdoor allergens after the winter thaw. Fingers crossed, but we'll try the dietary measures, too!

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
I feed mine on Millie's it's great food with toppers few times a week which he loves like sprinkle of tuna or vegetables scrambled egg also for a topper we had so much trouble on other food this Millie's has changed him so much he doent pass stinky wind now lol and it's helped his allergy it has been great change in his behavour too it's fab :yes:

Last edited:

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Thanks for the tips and for sharing that article and the fish stock link! We will definitely try the blueberries, kale, broccoli, chia, and sweet potato. I may try the fish stock but will likely have to pay for shipping with cooler b/c the company does not appear to sell in our area. How long does it keep after opening and does it last a while if you don't open it? I'd also like to try fermented veggies but wonder where to get them as I don't know how to do it myself.

These foods are all "anti-inflammatory" and in theory should further help to reduce allergic inflammation at its root cause. Buttercup's allergies are very well controlled right now (as long as I wage war on house dust and keep her from falling asleep with her nose buried in the carpet) but I'm slightly dreading the return of outdoor allergens after the winter thaw. Fingers crossed, but we'll try the dietary measures, too!

Here is a link to Answer's web site.....They do have store serach on there front page. > Answers Raw Pet Food Company

They ship the fermented fish stock frozen, and will last fourteen days after thawing keeping it in the refrigerator. There is tons of info on fermenting your own veggies though Google and u-tube.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online