FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I am planning on feeding our bully (when we get her in December) primarily raw meats, raw organ meats, raw non-sharp bones.

Kucha

Feb 10, 2013
Country
Tokyo Japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Kucha
Orijen adult with one-two tablespoon yoghurt on it.

radiogirl107

Jun 4, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor, Matilda
I feed Taste of the Wild. Matilda loves it and her coat is so shiny. I got a foster Frenchie, Fiona and have her on Taste of the Wild now too. She came to me with no hair on her back and sore spots. I'm happy to say whatever allergies she was having are now under control, her hair is growing back!

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Started transitioning to V-Dog last night for my guys, fingers crossed

Good luck! We transitioned Buttercup to V-dog after a severe allergic reaction and she has been eating it exclusively for about 5 days. No more pink face, increased nasal congestion, and bloodshot eyes after eating. Oddly enough she is also shedding less and smells good even without a bath. She also is not licking between her toes.

She is yeast-prone so before this we needed to give her a medicated bath every 4-5 days (I know, no one here does that!) or at least wash her paws & face with medicated shampoo to keep the smell and itchies at bay. Her last bath was 8 days ago but she smells good and has soft fur. Her paws were pretty yeasty/stinky a few days ago, but this smell has spontaneously improved. I still thoroughly wipe & dry her nose ropes & facial folds every day.

I also mix 1.25 tsp apple cider vinegar into each 1/2 cup of her kibble but otherwise she is getting only V-dog and the occasional nibble of 100% peanut butter. She really loves the food and eagerly asks for more, whereas I often had to persuade her to eat her old food. As a bonus, it costs less than the Wellness Salmon Potato we used before. I really hope she will continue to do well on this food as am really not sure what we would try next.

I am cautiously excited about this food but will update as time passes to share Buttercup's continued response to the food.

LP LP LP

Oct 31, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Fred
We've had Fred for a week now, he came with a very poor quality supermarket dry food and as soon as we got him home we started him on James Wellbeloved:

James Wellbeloved Adult Turkey and Rice Kibble 7.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

The difference in him in a week is unbelievable, he has more energy, he's not so manic and he no longer has a strong body odour.

I'm not sure if this food is available in the states but it is highly recommended over here in the UK.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Good luck! We transitioned Buttercup to V-dog after a severe allergic reaction and she has been eating it exclusively for about 5 days. No more pink face, increased nasal congestion, and bloodshot eyes after eating. Oddly enough she is also shedding less and smells good even without a bath. She also is not licking between her toes.

She is yeast-prone so before this we needed to give her a medicated bath every 4-5 days (I know, no one here does that!) or at least wash her paws & face with medicated shampoo to keep the smell and itchies at bay. Her last bath was 8 days ago but she smells good and has soft fur. Her paws were pretty yeasty/stinky a few days ago, but this smell has spontaneously improved. I still thoroughly wipe & dry her nose ropes & facial folds every day.

I also mix 1.25 tsp apple cider vinegar into each 1/2 cup of her kibble but otherwise she is getting only V-dog and the occasional nibble of 100% peanut butter. She really loves the food and eagerly asks for more, whereas I often had to persuade her to eat her old food. As a bonus, it costs less than the Wellness Salmon Potato we used before. I really hope she will continue to do well on this food as am really not sure what we would try next.

I am cautiously excited about this food but will update as time passes to share Buttercup's continued response to the food.

My two pups are having the exact same reaction as Buttercup had to her food, right after eating extreme bloodshot eyes and extremely pink faces as well as very watery eyes.
So hoping that V-Dog solves all these problems as it's no fun trying food after food all with poor results.

I assume when you say 100% peanut butter you're making your own as do we and the dogs love it.
In the few days that my guys have been on V-Dog I have seen remarkable improvements already which is just amazing to me to have it react that quick.

Will be keeping an eye out for your updates as i'm just as curious about this as you are.
Best of luck to you and Buttercup!

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
My two pups are having the exact same reaction as Buttercup had to her food, right after eating extreme bloodshot eyes and extremely pink faces as well as very watery eyes.
So hoping that V-Dog solves all these problems as it's no fun trying food after food all with poor results.

I assume when you say 100% peanut butter you're making your own as do we and the dogs love it.
In the few days that my guys have been on V-Dog I have seen remarkable improvements already which is just amazing to me to have it react that quick.

Will be keeping an eye out for your updates as i'm just as curious about this as you are.
Best of luck to you and Buttercup!

I'm so glad we've both noticed a difference and cautiously hope for further improvement since we just switched her food a few days ago. The vet told me it would take 3 months to know whether there is a difference so this was a surprise. The hydrolyzed protein foods have a lot of ingredients I don't love so I hope all three of our pups continue to do well on V-Dog!

We use an organic peanut butter because it's the only one I could find without added sugar and oil. Unfortunately it does have a small amount of salt, so we may go the route of grinding our own from unsalted peanuts as we do have a blender capable of making PB.

I look forward to hearing your V-Dog and allergy updates, too!

MagsMom

Apr 19, 2014
Virginia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie; Tyson
Anyone use either Zignature Limited ingredient or Natures VAriety Ltd ingredient? What have your results been please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
This post is long and may be more relevant to EB owners in India (applicable to other breeds too).
I own a 3 month old English Bulldog and a 5 year old Boxer.

We don't have a great choice of commercial dog food in India. All brands carry only dry dog food.
Some of the readily available brands are Pedigree, Royal Canin (RC), Drools, Eukanuba, Farmina, Hill's Science Plan.
Except HSP, I have sampled all other brands. I don't recommend Pedigree, Drools, Eukanuba. RC is barely OK. Farmina is quite good.
Good dry dog food is expensive. Example, a 2.5kg bag of Farmina costs about $25

My EB puppy came on a Royal Canin diet. She was 6 weeks old when I acquired her.
Yes, too early to leave the litter, but in India breeders are anxious to get rid of the litter early.

Here is the diet plan and feed times:
Meat weight is prior to cooking
Week 7, 8, 9
7:00 am - 150 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
1:00 pm - 100 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
6:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food
11:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food

Month 3
7:00 am - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
OR
200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
1:00 pm - 1 boiled egg + 50gm cottage cheese + (banana or orange or apple or cucumber or steamed carrot or steamed green beans)
6:00 pm - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
OR
200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
11:00 pm - 75/80 gm of Farmina dry dog food (chicken, pomegranate and ancient grain formula)
cold buttermilk (fat removed; do not want to deal with lactose issues)

Have also given small qty of boiled beef heart/kidney/liver and boiled chicken liver/heart/gizzard.
When boiling the meat, I skim the fat and give a bit of broth after it cools.
Roasting is done in an oven in aluminum foil for about 10/15 mins at 150 deg Celsius (this preverves the dripping)
Sometimes she is allowed to suck/chew on raw chicken bone marrow.
Hold the bone in hand to make sure she does not get greedy and bite of a big piece (choking hazard)
Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 1 tsp quantity

No major tummy issues seen. Took a couple of days to get used to crushed eggshells and organ meat.
Will continue the same diet in month four as well. Probably up the meat by 50/75 gm and dry food by 10/15 gm.

Now my adult Boxer's diet is far simpler and easier.
7:00 am - 500 gm of raw chicken (chicken breast with bone, wings, leg quarters, liver, heart, gizzard, NO fat/skin)
OR
500 gm of raw or roasted beef (lean meat, heart, kidney, liver, NO visible fat)
7:00 pm - same as above
Raw eggs 3/4 per week, boiled eggs 3/4 per week
Leftovers (sometimes it substitutes a meal):
White rice with unsweetened yogurt
Cooked pasta with diluted milk
White Bread (end slices and edges)
Banana, apple, oranges
He does not care for veggies
Buttermilk, chicken and beef broth
Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 2 tsp quantity

He went through a whole lot of skin allergy issues when he was on dry dog food.
The last year (since the switch to raw) he has been at his healthiest and lively.
He hardly has doggie breath or odor. Coat is healthy, shiny with no itching/scratching.
The boxer get about 3% of his body weight of raw meat and bones + organs per day.

Hopefully, I can switch my EB puppy to this diet by the time she is 8-10 months old. Thats about the time when all the permanant teeth are out.
And their digestive system can take raw/roasted meat and bones.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Breakfast: Fromm Pork & Peas
Dinner: Fromm Pork & Peas , Coconut Oil, Fermented Fish Stock
Treats: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Freeze Dried Fish, Plain Yogurt, Frosty Paws (Special Treat)

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I put Charley on Acana lamp and apple rotated with duck and pear about a year ago. It solved his loose bowels issue, but now he gets hypersalivation which is becoming more frequent. I wonder if it is food related. I also give him 1 tbs coconut oil daily, and a spoon of yogurt with each meal. I recently started him on nuVet plus supplement. I don't see any change from that.

Oh yes..., apple, pear or banana slice for treats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Anyone use either Zignature Limited ingredient or Natures VAriety Ltd ingredient? What have your results been please.

I am not using the Limited Ingredient Formula but I am using the Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula for my nine week old. I have tried a lot of different dog foods and I am very impressed with the results of this brand so far.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online