FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor is eating raw. During his first year, we tested several brands of kibble (Acana, Orijen, James Wellbeloved, Royal Canine Bulldog...) but nothing really worked for long. He seemed hungry all the time but as his stools were loose we couldn't up his portions. Transitioning to raw made a big change. After first testing a commercial brand of frozen raw with beef and some grains, we then switched to a grainfree commercial frozen raw. Currently he's on a combination of pork, chicken and lamb.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
My girls are 7.5 and 11.5 and I fed my oldest science diet chicken and rice for 4 years! Gasp....I know. I was a new dog mom and thought that what the vet recommended was gold. Around the time we got our second pup I started thinking about foods and researching a little. I made the switch to Merrick Turducken and then another formula with Buffalo. Once I made the switch off of poultry based foods I had an Aha moment - my oldest was allergic to chicken. It wasn't environmental allergies causing the countless ear infections, it was the chicken. I also noticed that my youngest started having runny soft serve poo and when I started researching foods I discovered Merrick had changed an ingredient. I was a bit annoyed that they didn't make the change obvious to consumers. Around that time Merrick was partnering w/Castor and Pollux and started to change all of their formulas so I made the switch to grain free Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast and rotated with Victor Grain Free Yukon River. Both of my girls became very lean on the grain free formulas and we had to feed them more. My youngest started to have normal poo so I am guessing she was sensitive to grain and not the oil that Merrick was using. We stopped using Earthborn b/c my oldest had environmental and food allergy testing done which showed she was allergic to lots of proteins she was eating - I don't hold much stock in those results but I have avoided those ingredients as a precaution. My oldest has been through a lot this past year with a horrible MRSP infection and an autoimmune skin disease. I am wondering if processed kibble could be causing her hypersensitivity reaction. We've almost ruled out the other causes for her disease so today I started her on a commercial raw formula by Answers. I'm crossing my fingers that this will help her. So until we know 1 is on Victor grain free kibble and the other on commercial raw. There is never a dull moment as bulldog parent.

jrm4810

Jun 16, 2013
Ocean County NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs has been fed Fromm's lamb and lentils. he started out on royal canin or bullies didnt do well at all lots of very runny poops, red about Fromms and switched. all the difference in the world. he also get 1 tsp of coconut oil daily along with a multi vitiamin, brewers yeast and melatonin. He has seasonal flank alopecia last winter and with the addition of the supplements his coat grew back so hoping it doesnt re occur this coming winter. my cat is also on fromms dry cat food and he loves it

- - - Updated - - -

Tubs has been fed Fromm's lamb and lentils. he started out on royal canin or bullies didnt do well at all lots of very runny poops, red about Fromms and switched. all the difference in the world. he also get 1 tsp of coconut oil daily along with a multi vitiamin, brewers yeast and melatonin. He has seasonal flank alopecia last winter and with the addition of the supplements his coat grew back so hoping it doesnt re occur this coming winter. my cat is also on fromms dry cat food and he loves it

JDLaing

Sep 25, 2014
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I feed Mack Royal Canin Bulldog Formula. He eats it up twice a day. The previous owner fed him something from a farm and ranch supply. In four weeks I cleared his skin up and his coat is perfect now. No flatulence either.......bonus!

Bulhei

Sep 23, 2014
Osaka
Country
japan
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank came to us on Eukanuba ( yuck) we changed over to Acana pacifica and everything was fine I found a site that ranked costco's grain free food just below Acana for less than half the price! Tank's wrinkles got sticky and started to shed again. I'm switching back I hope it works:fie:

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is currently eating and loving her "baby lamb food" (how random that it's shaped like lambs?!) Fromm Lamb & Lentils. She was eating Game Bird before that, and Surf and Turf and Beef Frittata before that as well. When we brought her home from the breeder we switched her from Eukanuba puppy to Fromm puppy food (by recommendations from this forum) and did great on it except she developed bad tear stains. Around 5-6 months old we decided to start her on the grain free all stages Fromm food to see if that would help... and within just a week or 2 her face was almost completely white! We started on Beef Frittata (again because of recommendations here) and then tried the other flavors eventually. She's done fantastic on each of them and I have no complaints :)

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We feed our dogs commercial raw. They get all eight varieties of Stella and Cheweys that we alternate and then do the same with all eight varieties of Primal raw food. We are varying the meat proteins to prevent food allergies.

julescoffman

Sep 26, 2014
florence sc
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasmine and Ruger
My jazzy eats duck and potato royal canin,only thing we found si far that she can eat without getting ear infections,her coat is silky,teeth have No plaque and she will be 9 Nov 7th,but we also bathe her in nothing but ivory dish soap! Help her skin and fur..had a vet tell me years ago to use it,it works great and she smells so good:)
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
I spoke too soon. Now that Winston is done his oral meds, we are now seeing paw licking, he is rolling around on his back to scratch, and his chin is getting pinker. Happily his fur is growing back in, but there are spots where dry skin is still coming off in thick pieces with a lot of his fur attached. He was checked for yeast again since his infections were so bad but he is ok on yeast, so it looks like food allergy to vet. His eyes are still too icky to monitor tear stains, so. ... I just got a bag of Fromm Beef Frittata.... wish us luck! I really hope this helps him out. He is doing so much better in these weeks we have had him. We are trying Trigger on the Fromm as well in hopes to feed them the same food, but we all know that's a long shot!! haha

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I spoke too soon :( Although June loves the lamb and lentils, it apparently didn't like her very much. She was licking her paws and ended up with the beginning of a inter digital cyst. I saw it Friday when I got home from work, and luckily she was just about finished with the small bag we got her. Glad I didn't get the big bag! So I got a big bag of the Surf and Turf at the pet store along with a bottle of Vetericyn which has been helping. Took her to the vet on Monday (she was due for her yearly check-up/shots) and also got some Duoxo pads. It's almost gone now thank goodness :)

H

HoldenIron

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Lamb and Oatmeal. 1 cup twice a day. He came home to us from the kennel eating Royal Canine Medium Puppy. I immediately changed it because of all the chicken product. I also choose the Blue Lamb and Oatmeal so he isn't getting any gluten or grains.

JDLaing

Sep 25, 2014
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Well I tried Fromms. Bad idea. The pellets were too small and the way Mack eats the pellets flew all over the place out of his lips when he chewed.

I will stick with Royal Canin Bulldog Formula.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.