FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Hollys currently eating Natures Logic Rabbit. On NL's website they claim they make their suppliers guarantee that their proteins do not come from China which I like. Holly is going great on this kibble, she sheds a little too much for my taste so we are still searching for that perfect kibble for her :). If anyone is thinking of trying Natures Logic, I would definitely recommend.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Currently Orijen and nature harvest wet -and having a year long battle when it comes to Lilly eating her food

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I think I have posted my story a couple times in different threads but I supposed I can add it here too:).

When we brought Goob home from the breeder, she sent us with a bag of Eukanuba Puppy Food. Since that was the food he came with, that is the food we kept him on for about 2 and a half years. However, when Goob was about 2 and a half, he started to refuse his food. I didn't think much of it. I began to hand feed him and add some cheese, chicken, or turkey bacon to his dish to try and encourage him to eat alone. As the months went by, he got to the point where I had to lift his lips up and stick the kibble in his mouth. He would SPIT IT OUT and I would repeat the process until he finally finished the bowl. Some days, I would just "tough love" him and put the bowl in his dish and leave for work. Without a doubt, the food was still there when I got home and he had diarrhea due to his empty stomach. It was then chicken and rice for dinner.

While I'm writing this, it seems so obvious that he didn't like his food but at the time, I had NO CLUE. About the time that I was losing my patience with his eating habits, I found this website. I read EVERY food related thread and did A LOT of research online. I decided that I didn't have anything to lose. Price wasn't an object. My husband and I don't have any kids and live a pretty simple life. Goob is our baby and he gets what he needs. He NEEDED a food that he would eat. So, I developed a plan.

We were going to do food experiments for the next several months. I went to Petco with a list of brands to try first. It was between AvoDerm, Natures Logic, Canidae and Merrick. After gleaning so much bulldog health info from this sight, I knew we were going to go grain free and no chicken (even though he had no allergies). I spent an hour reading the bags side by side and decided to go with Merrick Grain Free Texas Beef.

The transition began. I couldn't believe it but Goob was eating his food DRY WITH NO TREATS in it!!! He ate so fast and was licking the bowl clean!!! I couldn't believe it. I was in awe at the difference. Instead of running away from me when it was meal time, he was following me around, twirling, and drooling in anticipation of me putting his bowl down. I was sold. I couldn't believe how oblivious I was to the fact that he HATED his old food.

It has been about 4 months since we have been on Merrick and he still dances and jumps around at meal time. I add a small spoonful of Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt now as well. Even when the kibble is dry, he will inhale it.

It sounds funny to non-bulldog owners but I am so relieved that we found a healthy, safe, and tasty food for Goob. Whenever he didn't eat and I left him alone for work, I was so worried about him. I can't say that I've notice a difference in his coat, behavior, or yeast problems (he never had any) but this food has been a real blessing for us. All because of finding great info here!!!!!!!

2014-08-30 16.31.20.jpg

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Fromm for Orion
and
Dog Lover's Gold for Vegas. We tried to switch Vegas but he has a very very sensitive tummy. We were half way thru the switch the first time when he got really bad poopies and the second time he got a yeast icky on his nose.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
I'm trying to find the right food for my pups. They were on Wellness CORE Grain Free Puppy Formula when Dozer got a UTI and the Vet. said the protein was to high and was most likely the cause. We are going though all the four star flavors of Fromm right now. The P&P and Beef Frittata Veg did not work out as there face turns very pink and Dozer is getting blood shot eyes right after eating. L&L and Salmon Tunalini have been better but they still get the pink face. Will keep feeding Fromm for a few more weeks but if they keep getting the same reaction I will most likely try TOW next.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Daisy is on Earthborn Holistic grain free. We tried Nutro and Rachael ray grain free. and we also tried the Kirkland brand. The last three had Daisys belly breaking out and her tear stains were horrible. She does wonderful on Earthborn.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is currently on Advantax seafood along with home cooked lamb, vegs and pasta I am not 100% happy at all as I am still having issues but no yeast at least we have tried so many different kibbles this year its ridiculous just wished we could get Fromm here in Australia

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Currently we are feeding Harlea The Honest Kitchen Preference Base mix with vegetable proteins added and she is doing fantastic even though she has only been on it a few weeks.

Before THS we were feeding Fromms and she did good on Pork and Peas but was sensitive to Game Bird and Salmon and outright allergic to the Lamb and Lentil.

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
I notice a LOT of people here feed Fromm, and very few people feed chicken.

Do bullys tend to be allergic to chicken? I believe my Tia is, she is eating Acana Pacifica right now. I wish we had Fromm here, the only place that sells it in my province is 3.5 hours away.

I am not sure how she is doing on the Acana Pacifica however, because she keeps sneaking upstairs and eating the cat food, so she is a big itchy, pink mess.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I notice a LOT of people here feed Fromm, and very few people feed chicken.

Do bullys tend to be allergic to chicken? I believe my Tia is, she is eating Acana Pacifica right now. I wish we had Fromm here, the only place that sells it in my province is 3.5 hours away.

I am not sure how she is doing on the Acana Pacifica however, because she keeps sneaking upstairs and eating the cat food, so she is a big itchy, pink mess.

I think with Bulldogs that is one of the most common allergies, chicken.

mandals0810

Aug 27, 2014
Mississippi
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Sassy is 4 months old, when I got her from the breeder, they fed her a cheap dog food from Tractor Supply. I researched, and decided to try her on Blue Buffalo puppy food, BIG mistake, she had massive diarrhea from Blue Buffalo. I then scoured the internet and found the EBN website. SOOO many people here feed FROMM, so I decided to try it. Currently I feed Sassy the Classic Fromm adult food. But am thinking of switching to something different in the Fromm family, because I have noticed her scratching a lot, and the shedding is awful. I also currently give her salmon oil as a supplement. I can't tell a difference in her shedding and coat and she's been on the salmon oil for approx 2 weeks. I also believe I'm going to try her on the NuVet vitamins also.

Any advice is welcomed! I have never owned an EB, so this is a brand new experience to me!

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Our boys eat Nature's salmon, pumpkin and sweet Potatoe (grain free). Trigger has a shiny, silky, barely shedding coat. No tear stains, or itching etc. Winston has only been with us a couple of weeks , but his fur is softer, his red chin is now a nice normal skin tone (could be meds he is on too, but so far so good)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.