Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

Well, I really don't want Monty to end up with bladder stones. He is a healthy boy, no allergies or anything like that thank goodness and of course I want to keep it that way. I have been checking the premium dog foods for a lower protein level and tomorrow I am going to get the strips to check his Ph levels in his urine to see if it is within range. Fingers crossed it is. When we first got him he was on Royal Canin Bulldog and I wanted to find another food for him. He has been on Victor healthy weight since then but maybe the protein level is too high in it. I have to watch his weight too so it also has to be a lower calorie food. Will check out Honest Kitchen.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Well, I really don't want Monty to end up with bladder stones. He is a healthy boy, no allergies or anything like that thank goodness and of course I want to keep it that way. I have been checking the premium dog foods for a lower protein level and tomorrow I am going to get the strips to check his Ph levels in his urine to see if it is within range. Fingers crossed it is. When we first got him he was on Royal Canin Bulldog and I wanted to find another food for him. He has been on Victor healthy weight since then but maybe the protein level is too high in it. I have to watch his weight too so it also has to be a lower calorie food. Will check out Honest Kitchen.

Honest kitchen is a great choice, they also have a base mix I think and you add fresh protein to it, I don't know much about maintaining ph levels but sounds like something you can control with that diet. Best of luck and I really pray it works for you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

We just adopted our bulldog last month. We are trying to find a food that works for her. Last night we picked up a bag of Fromm's but we did not get the grain-free. She has only been on it for two meals so far so we haven't seen any change but reading this it seems that most people recommend the grain-free. Has anyone had luck with the non grain-free? Hate to think that I just wasted a bunch of money on food that I shouldn't be feeding her.
    Thanks!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WhitneyBlanche View Post
    We just adopted our bulldog last month. We are trying to find a food that works for her. Last night we picked up a bag of Fromm's but we did not get the grain-free. She has only been on it for two meals so far so we haven't seen any change but reading this it seems that most people recommend the grain-free. Has anyone had luck with the non grain-free? Hate to think that I just wasted a bunch of money on food that I shouldn't be feeding her.
    Thanks!
    I'd say give her time to see how she does on it. Fromms is great food, I'd say a good percentage of bullies experience allergies from food which is why grain free is always the best option. However, test it out. If within 2-3 weeks you notice any redness, (especially her belly area & face) or itching, excessive licking, brown tear stains - then def switch over to grain free. If you notice no change, then keep her on it, all are different as to what they do well on, but only time will tell. It may take a full bag for her to fully show signs (if any) - good luck!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Bulldog Vet in Training 2bulldogsstuff's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Logan and Brett
    Likes (Received)

Breeder our Brett on Kirkland Nature Domain. He actually is doing of with it. But I just ordered TOTW High Prairie. I'll see how he reacts to it. Another choice is Fromm and Wellness Core.

Country
    Los Angeles
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dobby
    Likes (Received)

I have been feeding my Dobby with Orijen (50/50 Combination of Six Star and Regional Red), Nupro, and also Grizzly Salmon Oil. He has always been healthy and energetic!!!

Real Name
    Olivia
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Belle
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WhitneyBlanche View Post
    Thanks!
    I accidentally bought a formula of Fromm that wasn't grain free...pork and applesauce. I thought they were all grain free so I didn't even check. I fed it to our bulldog anyways but after two weeks we noticed some bad signs. She started itching and shedding like crazy. I also noticed a few spots where her hair was getting thin. Before this she was fine so we are assuming it's from the grain. I still have half a bag left but I'll be donating it to a local shelter and I bought a new grain free food tonight.
    "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.
    ― Charles de Gaulle

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaB View Post
    I accidentally bought a formula of Fromm that wasn't grain free...pork and applesauce. I thought they were all grain free so I didn't even check. I fed it to our bulldog anyways but after two weeks we noticed some bad signs. She started itching and shedding like crazy. I also noticed a few spots where her hair was getting thin. Before this she was fine so we are assuming it's from the grain. I still have half a bag left but I'll be donating it to a local shelter and I bought a new grain free food tonight.
    I put her on grain free last night! Thanks to English Bulldog News and Fromms we won a free bag of Fromms dog food so we're trying the grain free. We will keep her on it if we notice a positive change. We're hoping it will clear her tear stains up. We clean them every day and that helps a lot but they're still not as good as I'd like them to be. Fingers crossed!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rigginsluv11 View Post
    Breakfast: Fromm Pork & Peas
    Dinner: Fromm Pork & Peas , Coconut Oil, Fermented Fish Stock
    Treats: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Freeze Dried Fish, Plain Yogurt, Frosty Paws (Special Treat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @rigginssluv11 how much fermented fish stock are you adding to the meal?

Real Name
    Raghu Prasad
    Country
    India
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Bella who is 6 months now gets 2 feeds a day.
    Diet is raw;
    Chicken (all meaty parts with bone, necks, liver, heart, gizzard)
    Beef (boneless cubes, heart, liver, kidney)
    Eggs (raw and boiled)
    Veggies (boiled carrots/beans/broccoli, cucumber, leafy veggies)
    Fruits (banana, orange, watermelon, apple)
    Cottage cheese, buttermilk, milk (very rarely), rice and bread (when we run out of regular food)
    No known allergies

250 gms (about 1/2 lb) raw meaty bones with in the morning and evening
    One egg a day (morning or evening)
    Fruit/veggies/cottage-cheese in the afternoon
    Salmon oil or flaxseed oil as supplements (one tbsp day)

She is 17 Kg (about 38 lbs) height (15 inches), though her neck, head and chest are filling up
    Can be categorized as hyper active

Thanks,
    Raghu

Bully Bootie Duty boo boo butts mom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    boo boo butt
    Likes (Received)

My girl has been on basically all that has been mentioned except the royal canin kind. She has issues with all the higher end dog foods. I was completely bummed when even fromm didn't work for her in any of the flavors. I even went as far as getting her raw boost kibble and boy oh boy did that ever mess her up. While all of these wonderful dog foods are fabulous on her hair, skin ect the flip side of that would be that they mess with her being able to go poop and or constipating her. I get so excited when she is shedding less and no goop in her eyes and no itching but then her poop begins to be a little harder. I definitely don't like that. I have had her thouroughly checked out and had her poop sent out to make sure it to was okay but all comes back normal and she seems to always end up back on the prescription canned food from Iams for digestive which is what I do her transitions with when putting her on a dog food to make it easier on her digestive system. Works fabulous and she does love it but canned food is extremely expensive and she loves her food. I literally have to mix a bland diet food with it to be able to financially keep up with it. I just ordered to dry kibble and am waiting on it to arrive this week to see how she is going to do on this food in kibble form. I am going to continue mixing the bland diet in it because she does love the mixture. I have had to cut out the rice due to causing yeast growth and change over to a noodle but she still enjoys the boiled hamburger /canned dog food/noodle. No flair ups to date with this but never ordered dog food online so hoping soon it will get here so I can see how the kibble works of the prescription formula.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boss
    Likes (Received)

My dog has lots of allergies and consent drainage from his eyes and yest in the wrinkle above his nose .. he sheds a lot and I mean a lot ... His coat is thin and not so soft or shinny ... I need to get him on the right food I do believe.. need some help for my active buddy .. want him to feel Bette

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Remove Ads