Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 172

Thread: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

  1. #49
    Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Brandi
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    44
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor, Matilda
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    92

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    I feed Taste of the Wild. Matilda loves it and her coat is so shiny. I got a foster Frenchie, Fiona and have her on Taste of the Wild now too. She came to me with no hair on her back and sore spots. I'm happy to say whatever allergies she was having are now under control, her hair is growing back!

  2. #50
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    162
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    Started transitioning to V-Dog last night for my guys, fingers crossed
    Good luck! We transitioned Buttercup to V-dog after a severe allergic reaction and she has been eating it exclusively for about 5 days. No more pink face, increased nasal congestion, and bloodshot eyes after eating. Oddly enough she is also shedding less and smells good even without a bath. She also is not licking between her toes.

    She is yeast-prone so before this we needed to give her a medicated bath every 4-5 days (I know, no one here does that!) or at least wash her paws & face with medicated shampoo to keep the smell and itchies at bay. Her last bath was 8 days ago but she smells good and has soft fur. Her paws were pretty yeasty/stinky a few days ago, but this smell has spontaneously improved. I still thoroughly wipe & dry her nose ropes & facial folds every day.

    I also mix 1.25 tsp apple cider vinegar into each 1/2 cup of her kibble but otherwise she is getting only V-dog and the occasional nibble of 100% peanut butter. She really loves the food and eagerly asks for more, whereas I often had to persuade her to eat her old food. As a bonus, it costs less than the Wellness Salmon Potato we used before. I really hope she will continue to do well on this food as am really not sure what we would try next.

    I am cautiously excited about this food but will update as time passes to share Buttercup's continued response to the food.

  3. #51
    Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fred
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    We've had Fred for a week now, he came with a very poor quality supermarket dry food and as soon as we got him home we started him on James Wellbeloved:

    James Wellbeloved Adult Turkey and Rice Kibble 7.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

    The difference in him in a week is unbelievable, he has more energy, he's not so manic and he no longer has a strong body odour.

    I'm not sure if this food is available in the states but it is highly recommended over here in the UK.

  4. #52
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Good luck! We transitioned Buttercup to V-dog after a severe allergic reaction and she has been eating it exclusively for about 5 days. No more pink face, increased nasal congestion, and bloodshot eyes after eating. Oddly enough she is also shedding less and smells good even without a bath. She also is not licking between her toes.

    She is yeast-prone so before this we needed to give her a medicated bath every 4-5 days (I know, no one here does that!) or at least wash her paws & face with medicated shampoo to keep the smell and itchies at bay. Her last bath was 8 days ago but she smells good and has soft fur. Her paws were pretty yeasty/stinky a few days ago, but this smell has spontaneously improved. I still thoroughly wipe & dry her nose ropes & facial folds every day.

    I also mix 1.25 tsp apple cider vinegar into each 1/2 cup of her kibble but otherwise she is getting only V-dog and the occasional nibble of 100% peanut butter. She really loves the food and eagerly asks for more, whereas I often had to persuade her to eat her old food. As a bonus, it costs less than the Wellness Salmon Potato we used before. I really hope she will continue to do well on this food as am really not sure what we would try next.

    I am cautiously excited about this food but will update as time passes to share Buttercup's continued response to the food.
    My two pups are having the exact same reaction as Buttercup had to her food, right after eating extreme bloodshot eyes and extremely pink faces as well as very watery eyes.
    So hoping that V-Dog solves all these problems as it's no fun trying food after food all with poor results.

    I assume when you say 100% peanut butter you're making your own as do we and the dogs love it.
    In the few days that my guys have been on V-Dog I have seen remarkable improvements already which is just amazing to me to have it react that quick.

    Will be keeping an eye out for your updates as i'm just as curious about this as you are.
    Best of luck to you and Buttercup!

  5. #53
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    162
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    My two pups are having the exact same reaction as Buttercup had to her food, right after eating extreme bloodshot eyes and extremely pink faces as well as very watery eyes.
    So hoping that V-Dog solves all these problems as it's no fun trying food after food all with poor results.

    I assume when you say 100% peanut butter you're making your own as do we and the dogs love it.
    In the few days that my guys have been on V-Dog I have seen remarkable improvements already which is just amazing to me to have it react that quick.

    Will be keeping an eye out for your updates as i'm just as curious about this as you are.
    Best of luck to you and Buttercup!
    I'm so glad we've both noticed a difference and cautiously hope for further improvement since we just switched her food a few days ago. The vet told me it would take 3 months to know whether there is a difference so this was a surprise. The hydrolyzed protein foods have a lot of ingredients I don't love so I hope all three of our pups continue to do well on V-Dog!

    We use an organic peanut butter because it's the only one I could find without added sugar and oil. Unfortunately it does have a small amount of salt, so we may go the route of grinding our own from unsalted peanuts as we do have a blender capable of making PB.

    I look forward to hearing your V-Dog and allergy updates, too!

  6. #54
    Pooper scooper MagsMom's Avatar
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie; Tyson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Anyone use either Zignature Limited ingredient or Natures VAriety Ltd ingredient? What have your results been please.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  7. #55
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    488
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    I only feed my Bulldog FROMM DOG FOOD. Maximus gets Pork & Peas, and Lamb & Lentils.

  8. #56
    Kennel Cleaner raghu's Avatar
    Real Name
    Raghu Prasad
    Country
    India
    Location
    India
    Posts
    96
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    118

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    This post is long and may be more relevant to EB owners in India (applicable to other breeds too).
    I own a 3 month old English Bulldog and a 5 year old Boxer.

    We don't have a great choice of commercial dog food in India. All brands carry only dry dog food.
    Some of the readily available brands are Pedigree, Royal Canin (RC), Drools, Eukanuba, Farmina, Hill's Science Plan.
    Except HSP, I have sampled all other brands. I don't recommend Pedigree, Drools, Eukanuba. RC is barely OK. Farmina is quite good.
    Good dry dog food is expensive. Example, a 2.5kg bag of Farmina costs about $25

    My EB puppy came on a Royal Canin diet. She was 6 weeks old when I acquired her.
    Yes, too early to leave the litter, but in India breeders are anxious to get rid of the litter early.

    Here is the diet plan and feed times:
    Meat weight is prior to cooking
    Week 7, 8, 9
    7:00 am - 150 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
    1:00 pm - 100 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
    6:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food
    11:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food

    Month 3
    7:00 am - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
    OR
    200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
    1:00 pm - 1 boiled egg + 50gm cottage cheese + (banana or orange or apple or cucumber or steamed carrot or steamed green beans)
    6:00 pm - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
    OR
    200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
    11:00 pm - 75/80 gm of Farmina dry dog food (chicken, pomegranate and ancient grain formula)
    cold buttermilk (fat removed; do not want to deal with lactose issues)

    Have also given small qty of boiled beef heart/kidney/liver and boiled chicken liver/heart/gizzard.
    When boiling the meat, I skim the fat and give a bit of broth after it cools.
    Roasting is done in an oven in aluminum foil for about 10/15 mins at 150 deg Celsius (this preverves the dripping)
    Sometimes she is allowed to suck/chew on raw chicken bone marrow.
    Hold the bone in hand to make sure she does not get greedy and bite of a big piece (choking hazard)
    Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 1 tsp quantity

    No major tummy issues seen. Took a couple of days to get used to crushed eggshells and organ meat.
    Will continue the same diet in month four as well. Probably up the meat by 50/75 gm and dry food by 10/15 gm.

    Now my adult Boxer's diet is far simpler and easier.
    7:00 am - 500 gm of raw chicken (chicken breast with bone, wings, leg quarters, liver, heart, gizzard, NO fat/skin)
    OR
    500 gm of raw or roasted beef (lean meat, heart, kidney, liver, NO visible fat)
    7:00 pm - same as above
    Raw eggs 3/4 per week, boiled eggs 3/4 per week
    Leftovers (sometimes it substitutes a meal):
    White rice with unsweetened yogurt
    Cooked pasta with diluted milk
    White Bread (end slices and edges)
    Banana, apple, oranges
    He does not care for veggies
    Buttermilk, chicken and beef broth
    Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 2 tsp quantity

    He went through a whole lot of skin allergy issues when he was on dry dog food.
    The last year (since the switch to raw) he has been at his healthiest and lively.
    He hardly has doggie breath or odor. Coat is healthy, shiny with no itching/scratching.
    The boxer get about 3% of his body weight of raw meat and bones + organs per day.

    Hopefully, I can switch my EB puppy to this diet by the time she is 8-10 months old. Thats about the time when all the permanant teeth are out.
    And their digestive system can take raw/roasted meat and bones.

  9. #57
    Dog Park Attendant Rigginsluv11's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    466
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Riggins
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Breakfast: Fromm Pork & Peas
    Dinner: Fromm Pork & Peas , Coconut Oil, Fermented Fish Stock
    Treats: Apples, Bananas, Watermelon, Freeze Dried Fish, Plain Yogurt, Frosty Paws (Special Treat)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #58
    Dog Groomer Sharon Mitchel's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington, United States
    Posts
    521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    I put Charley on Acana lamp and apple rotated with duck and pear about a year ago. It solved his loose bowels issue, but now he gets hypersalivation which is becoming more frequent. I wonder if it is food related. I also give him 1 tbs coconut oil daily, and a spoon of yogurt with each meal. I recently started him on nuVet plus supplement. I don't see any change from that.

    Oh yes..., apple, pear or banana slice for treats.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #59
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Quote Originally Posted by MagsMom View Post
    Anyone use either Zignature Limited ingredient or Natures VAriety Ltd ingredient? What have your results been please.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not using the Limited Ingredient Formula but I am using the Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula for my nine week old. I have tried a lot of different dog foods and I am very impressed with the results of this brand so far.

  12. #60
    Pooper scooper MagsMom's Avatar
    Country
    Usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie; Tyson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: FAQ: What do you feed your bulldog?

    Thanks and good luck with the pup


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •