4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
OK folks, school me please in the way of the coconut. I've been seeing quite a few people on here giving coconut oil instead of salmon and others. What milligram are you giving your BD? I found some 1000 mg virgin coconut pills. Is that to much? Does it help with dry skin and shiny coat?

side story-- I stopped giving Dooley salmon oil couple weeks ago to see if that would help with his watery eyes. It has helped a ton so far but now his skin is drying out and starting to flake. So I want to get him back on something that will help with this. He is also shedding much much more than normal the last couple days.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 512

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Coconut Oil Q's

Hi Paul, I'm not familiar with the coconut oil pills, so don't know how many milligrams to give, most members use the Coconut Oil in a plastic tub from the Health store or from Costco. Costco has a big tub of it, and I think it's about $9.99. Most use a Tbsp. or 2 on top of the kibble. It will definitely help with Dooleys dry skin and shedding. Coconut oil is an excellent source of Omega Fatty Acids. Many EB's are allergic to both chicken and salmon, which if they are allergic to salmon, the salmon oil doesn't always agree with them. I took Blossom off salmon oil, and switched her to cod liver oil, and she does well on this, but once both are gone, I'm going to try the coconut oil, so they can both be on the same kind.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

OK folks, school me please in the way of the coconut. I've been seeing quite a few people on here giving coconut oil instead of salmon and others. What milligram are you giving your BD? I found some 1000 mg virgin coconut pills. Is that to much? Does it help with dry skin and shiny coat?

side story-- I stopped giving Dooley salmon oil couple weeks ago to see if that would help with his watery eyes. It has helped a ton so far but now his skin is drying out and starting to flake. So I want to get him back on something that will help with this. He is also shedding much much more than normal the last couple days.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't even know that there was CO in pill form! I cook with CO for me and my bullies. You can also just add a teaspoonful or two into Dooley's food. Another thing you can do is take some in your hand and rub it all over his coat. I also use it as a moisturizer for myself :)

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs

Thanks for the replies. I will try the powder form and see how this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah

Dec 16, 2012
Las Vegas
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer, Hannah and Mia

I use coconut oil on my bullies. I give them 1 T in their food. I also use it for dry noses, in their folds and also rub it on dry patches on the skin. Works great!

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston

Coconut oils is like crack to my dog lol He eats some every night before bed and I put it on his nose as well...I never measure how much. In the winter I use it on his paws.
I also give him salmon oil on his food every night and in the winter a little bit of olive oil on his food.
I buy it at the grocery store because it is half the price and all the same ingredients as the kinds they sell at the pet stores.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs

OK so I got some Coconut oil last night. Its liquid (dont know why I was thinking this was a powder) but put a table spoon on Dooleys food this morning and for the first time ever, he sat down and stared at the bowl for a second. I think he was a little confused. But he soon dove in with vengeance as usual and never checked up. So we will see how this goes.
Thank for every ones help and info.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Patton looooooooves his coconut oil. We put some on top of his breakfast and dinner and I also rub it on his skin as he is extremely itchy all the time and I let him lick it off my hands. He's obsessed.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi

Coconut oil works on Porkie's nose. I applied a little bit but she doesn't like it. She rubs her nose on her bed and blanket , like saying, " get this stuff off me"!

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs

I put some on Dooley's nose the other day and he loved it. Stood there licking his nose. Funny dog.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I see this is s q thread if I may ask a q without starting a new thread .

Is there a specific brand of coconut oil to give to EBD? If so , please share thank you in advance

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

We use the coconut oil in a tub from Costco, it looks like Crisco or Lard, and you spoon it out of the tub.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I also use a big tub from Costco but ours is liquid form- love this stuff!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Does it need to be organic ?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)

Does it need to be organic ?

Yes, be sure that the coconut oil you "feed" your dog is organic and unrefined/cold pressed. The refined stuff has most of the beneficial qualities removed so it's basically useless. On a separate note, coconut oil is solid but will liquefy if it becomes warmer than room temp.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online