raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bumping a relatively older thread.
Let me first introduce myself before telling a story.
My name is Raghu. I live in India currently. I lived in the US for 9 year between 1994-2003.
I have a 6 year Boxer and a 1 year old Bulldog.
My qualification for writing this story, I hail from South India the land of coconuts.
Now for the story telling.

In our mythology, the coconut palm or tree is called "Kalpa-Vriksha". It loose translates to wish fulfilling tree or tree of eternal life.
Why is this? Every part of the coconut tree has or has had a use for mankind.
The fruit:
Tender coconut water is very good in cooling the human body just like eating raw cucumber
Coconut fruit or the meaty portion of it is used extensively in cooking. Many in India are vegetarian and coconut is a source of healthy fat
Dried coconut meat is also used in cooking; but the main use is in extracting oil
The leaves:
We used to make thatched roofing out of it until modern materials came about. Even now it is used on top of cement roofs to buffer heat from the sun
The stem:
We still make brooms from the dried stems. Long lasting and environment friendly as compared to plastic brooms
The Nut and Husk:
The Nut shell is an excellent source of heat when burned. It was used in fireplaces for cooking and heating water. Now it is slowly giving way to modern appliances.
The husk is used in making coir. The stuff you see in mattresses; it is a breathable yet firm material unlike poly-fill or synthetics
The Trunk:
Used as firewood or fancy furniture; the tree is never harvested; it is always allowed to die a natural death (40-60 years)
Shade:
Every house used to have 1 or 2 trees for shade and all of the above; my parents' house still has 2 of them.

Coconut Oil usage
There are 2 varieties; edible/cooking and hair oil
Internal consumption
Coconut oil is rich in Omega-6 fatty acids; though no Omega-3 fatty acids are present; there are other fatty acid chains that are beneficial to human and canine.
A tsp of edible coconut oil ingested a day is generally considered beneficial to both humans and dogs. It is claimed to aid in reducing arthritic pain but no sufficient studies have proven this. Older EBs have such pains; so no harm in experimenting. Edible flaxseed oil is a good substitute.
For dogs you can alternate fish oil and coconut oil.
External applications:
We in India, use this for our hair and body. It hydrates the hair and skin and keeps it shiny and soft.

Apply generous amounts of oil on human hair and body or on your dogs body.
Soak for 30-60 mins. In fact for humans we let it soak overnight (protect your pillows and sheets though).
Humans have to have a hot shower followed by mild shampoo/soap. Normally, conditioner is not required.
Scalp is moisturized and hair gets a shine.
For dogs use warm water to rinse and shampoo off. Again the skin is moisturized and coat is shiny.
Repeat every 3-4 weeks.
Soaking in oil helps kill ticks and their eggs as these pests breathe via exoskeleton. Oil suffocates them to death.

Coconut oil is also great in topical application like insect bites. Just rub a wee bit on a bite or rash and it reduces itchiness and flakiness.

Where can you get coconut oil?
In the US/UK/Canada any Indian grocery store will have it. Stores like Costco also carry it. Choose the correct variety cooking or hair oil.

As any practical person would do, experiment with small amounts with your dog at first. If there are no side effects, go for the above regimen.
Hope this info helps.

Cheers,
Raghu

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
Re: Coconut Oil Q's

I use coconut oil on my bullies. I give them 1 T in their food. I also use it for dry noses, in their folds and also rub it on dry patches on the skin. Works great!

Do you use regular coconut oil from the grocery store? or is there a specific kind from the pet store?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I am a firm believer in CO. Didn't know they have powder. Maybe cause I didn't look as I rather have it the natural way.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Any grocery store but make sure its organic. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You forgot one Raghu..... Dentist!!! A dentist told me once that if you gargle/swishing CO 5mins if you can in you mouth like a teaspoon, your teeth will get really white, kills gingivitis and no more cavities either!!! Ask Hawaiian's or in India the do this n works. Dentist wont lke you anymore lolll

Oh and yes my teeth are much whiter and dont need to spend on whiteners.

Kyrie06

Sep 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank & Nala
Has anyone used coconut oil for their Bullys eye folds? Tank has a yeast infection in his left eye fold. I've been cleaning and wiping dry 2x/day but I read CO will help since it's a anti fungal?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Has anyone used coconut oil for their Bullys eye folds? Tank has a yeast infection in his left eye fold. I've been cleaning and wiping dry 2x/day but I read CO will help since it's a anti fungal?
For wrinkles and around the eyes we use witch hazel or chlorohexidene.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I gave Elmo 1Tablespoon of coconut oil twice a day mixed with his yogurt and cottage cheese, he loves this, then I feed him his breakfast and dinner after he eats his oil, yogurt and cottage cheese.

HuntersBullies

Apr 10, 2016
North Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
I started giving Gypsy some coconut oil with her breakfast and dinner a couple of days ago. She loves it! The only problem is now she expects it with every meal. She will only eat a little bit of food without it.

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Reggie gets coconut oil too, every night. I don't measure how much, i just warm it in my hands and rub it all over him - especially his nose. Then he gets to lick some off my hands. He goes nuts for it :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online