FAQ: Bulldog Tail Pockets: What is your secret?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Douxo pads. Depending on what's gong on- once to a few times a week. Blue's is deep and he's prone to yeast there.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
For my boy who has a deep pocket and likes to lock that sucker down I use Witch Hazel and sometimes a baby nose sucker filled with Gold Bond powder to squeeze up in there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I have been using the witch hazel and cotton balls to clean Fatsos tail pocket and at first he would run from me when I open the bottle because he doesn't like us doing anything to him but after a couple times he loves it..

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have this problem either. Dozer and Blossom don't have a tail pocket. Their tails are flat.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Due to a lack of experience and a lack of EBN.....in 2008 we had Vegas's tail pocket closed up. That's how it was explained to us. They would simply close it up. When I picked him up....he no longer had a tail. It wasn't much of a tail to begin with...very tight and inverted. This, in hindsight, was the best option for him. Not a simple surgery and I would ONLY recommend looking into something like this if it was your last choice.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I typically clean out all the hair that accumulates first, then use a cotton pad or thin cloth with witch hazel to clean. I dry using a thin cloth, then squeeze a tiny bit of gold bond medicated powder. This is about once a week. If I notice that it is more gunky than usual, I will use the douxo pads we keep on hand.

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Hi
Just wandering if the witch hazel is 100% pure or watered down some way
Thanks Mishell

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Hi just wandering what type of witch hazel you use is it 100% pure ?? I'm in Australia and it seems we don't have as many products available to us as you guys have , so will source as close as possible to,what you recommend
Thanks Michelle

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13998]Mishell[/MENTION] The label on my witch hazel says Witch Hazel 86 percent, Alcohol 14 percent by volume. I never even checked it before!

Miniequine

Jun 4, 2018
Altoona, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy and Bella
I have a question that may be related to this thread:
Our bullies do 'twirling' on their butts every so often. Would this 'habit' have anything to do with the tail pocket becoming irritated?
Thanks,
Miniequine,(Rosemary)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Can be tail pocket, can be anal glands which need expression, can be itch because of parasites or diarrhoea.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a question that may be related to this thread:
Our bullies do 'twirling' on their butts every so often. Would this 'habit' have anything to do with the tail pocket becoming irritated?
Thanks,
Miniequine,(Rosemary)

Could be a few things... as Natallia mentioned -- tail pocket needs to be cleaned, anal glands may need to be expressed or parasite.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.