FAQ: Bulldog Tail Pockets: What is your secret?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Please post your tail pocket cleaning routine here!

I use witch hazel to clean it out, then I dry it out with a paper towel. I then follow up with Malecetic Otic if it is already clean and looking good. Just a squirt of it on a baby wipe. I only clean them once every few days to even a week.

If it's bad, I use cotton ball soaked in Malacetic Otic "ULTRA". I will clean it daily until it's good again, but it usually is better within a few days.

I only have one bully with a deep tail pocket and the older she gets the deeper it gets.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Re: Bulldog Tail Pockets: What is your secret?

For Tate, my only "routine" is to take a soft tissue and "really get in there" to get all the gunk and debris out; i do this about twice a day and he seems like he's in some "nirvana" when i do this to him--he loves it! For Finn, b/c he's had a recurrent tail infection, I use a duoxo + climbazole mousse that I got from the Vet the other day. I just apply some on my fingers and rub into his tail pocket once a day and let it air dry.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

We use duoxo pads once a week to clean it out. Buster's pocket isnt very deep at all just collects a bunch of hair.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Witch Hazel on a cotton pad

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem

We use duoxo pads once a week to clean it out. Buster's pocket isnt very deep at all just collects a bunch of hair.

Ditto...exactly what Phil said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL

Witch hazel, rubber gloves, and paper towels!! and Vegas feel's VERY violated after~!!!!!

Brucey

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roger

For Tate, my only "routine" is to take a soft tissue and "really get in there" to get all the gunk and debris out; i do this about twice a day and he seems like he's in some "nirvana" when i do this to him--he loves it! For Finn, b/c he's had a recurrent tail infection, I use a duoxo + climbazole mousse that I got from the Vet the other day. I just apply some on my fingers and rub into his tail pocket once a day and let it air dry.

Roger does the same, when I am cleaning it with a baby wipe he makes very quiet snorting and his tongue keeps going in and out.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley

thank heavens i dont have that problem!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby

Well now, both Amber and Ruby have tight cork screw tails with deep tail pockets. I have several items for this process: diapers, foot powder, a baby suction nose bulb, water pik, Malecetic Otic, witch hazel, peroxide, and japanese cream. I don't use all of this all the time but the tail pockets get cleaned twice a week: once a week, usually on Saturday, I fill up the water pik and take them outside and we clean the tail pocket out with the water pik. They both love it, I think the shot of warm water up there is invigorating to them because they get really spunky afterwards. Then I take the malecetic otic and put that on a diaper and run that under the tail and into the tail pocket to get anything left out plus dry it out as good as possible. Once I have that done I take the baby suction nose bulb which is filled with lotrimin foot powder and I stick that into the tail pocket and powder it down really good. Neither Amber or Ruby has any problems with their tail pockets but we stay on them; if I see any irritation then I use the japanese cream which is an anti-fugal cream that works like magic. We keep that around the house for the whole family to use.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2

I buy baby wipes, rinse them all with water and then lay them out in bundles to dry over a day or two. Then I place them in the wipes container and wet them down with either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol (current batch) and grab one and clean them up every day. Regular baby wipes don't provide the drying action their little bully tushies need but these do and it is never an ordeal to clean them since I always have them handy.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

Harlea doesn't have a gay tail per se but hers is straight and flat, so she doesn't have much of a tail pocket to begin with but we clean what she does have during her nightly wipe down with baby wipes and once a week with a Duoxo pad. She loves it.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie

Witch hazel on cotton square or presoaked witch hazel wipes. Brie doesn't have much of a pocket so I clean it 1-2 times a week unless more is needed. I do have the medicated pads for cleaning folds etc which I will use every so often w her tail.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I use the witch hazel on a paper towel once a week... Winston's pocket isn't that deep, but I do get a lot of hair out of there!!! :eek:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Hi Lisa, sorry I don't have any experience with cleaning tail pockets because Dozer and Blossom don't have a tail pocket. I did find this article on EBN that you wrote on tail pockets.

What is a Tail Pocket?

by desertskybulldogs
Rate this article
Published on 11-01-2013 08:11 PM Number of Views: 969 4 Comments

A tail pocket is a little hidden cave under a bulldog's tail.
Many new bulldog owners are not even aware that it exists, unless it becomes a problem.

Do all bulldogs have tail pockets?

No. Many bulldogs do not have tail pockets at all, but it is more common to have one than uncommon. To find out, you will need to feel at the base of the tail and see if there is any space there that does not see the light of day. If you bulldog has no tail pocket, all you will feel is the base of the tail. Bulldogs with gay tails are usually the lucky ones who have no tail pockets at all. A gay tail is a tail that sticks straight up and rarely lays flat.

Tail Pocket Care

It is important to keep the tail pocket clean and dry. If anything gets inside a tail pocket, especially a deep one, it is the perfect place to get infested with yeast or bacteria. It is a dark, moist place and can literally become a problem over night.

If you clean it and there is any color coming out, something is growing in there. Greyish green, Dark Brown/Reddish, and orange yellow are not good, and can be hard to treat.

The most important thing while cleaning a tail pocket is to keep it DRY. Using a cleanser with a drying agent in it is best, and you should never clean a tail pocket with just baby wipes or a wet cloth. This will give the yeast/bacteria more moisture to thrive.

Click here to read how other members clean and maintain their bulldogs' tail pockets.

No Tail Pocket?

Check for a tail pocket every few months. A puppy may not have a tail pocket the first 6 months but could get one later as they start to fill out and their bones become wider and thicker. Some bulldogs don't get a tail pocket until they are mature adults.

Here is another article written by JeannieCO on cleaning and grooming your bulldog, check it out

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Tail Pockets and Vulva

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda

Colloidal silver and gold bond powder ,once weekly clean

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.