Is anyone still happily using Natural Balance??

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We are back at the vet for the second time this month with non pooping issues. Our vet thinks we should try a hypo allergenic grain free limited ingredient food other than the instinct which is when these issues started.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Are you feeding Natural Balance or Natures Variety Instinct? I am confused because you wrote Natural Balance in the title and something about "instinct" in your post.

OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Are you feeding Natural Balance or Natures Variety Instinct? I am confused because you wrote Natural Balance in the title and something about "instinct" in your post.

Sorry. Instinct is what were having issues with. I'm going to try the natural balance and was hoping for some good reports from others.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sorry. Instinct is what were having issues with. I'm going to try the natural balance and was hoping for some good reports from others.

Well Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon and Natures Variety Instinct are the only foods I have ever had any success with actually. Samson was on Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon for years and did wonderfully. Then he developed a ear infection following a surgery he had. Nothing the vet prescribed could clear that ear infection, it was a constant issue for 6 months. Then I read here on EBN that potatoes can aid in the growth of yeast (yeast being one of the causes of ear infections) and that getting him on a potato free diet could help clear up his ear infections. Natures Variety Instinct is the only food I know of that is potato free AND grain free (he needs grain free for his allergies). So I made the switch and within 2 weeks he was ear infection free and has been in the entire year since. He's been doing great on the Natures Variety Instinct ever since the switch. He could possibly still do great on the Natural Balance if I decided to switch back since he's been ear infection free for so long but I feel like I have a good thing going and am just afraid to switch back. Anyway just wanted to share my experiences with both foods, I think they are both great foods for dogs suffering from allergies.

Last edited:
OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
That makes me feel much better, thank you!!! I was concerned about the potato but for now I'm giving it a shot. It's one of the brands my vet mentioned too.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
That makes me feel much better, thank you!!! I was concerned about the potato but for now I'm giving it a shot. It's one of the brands my vet mentioned too.

I really like that it truly is a limited ingredient food, it cuts out alot of the crap that could potentially cause allergy issues. I highly recommend the salmon formula unless Ruckus has any issues with salmon or fish based foods. And I found adding salmon oil to any food is very beneficial as well.

OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I went and got the salmon!! The vet said either a salmon based or rabbit based. The rabbit food he was talking about was royal canin so I went with natural balance.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I went and got the salmon!! The vet said either a salmon based or rabbit based. The rabbit food he was talking about was royal canin so I went with natural balance.

Awesome! Keep us updated :) Hope all goes well. Glad you didn't go with royal canin, in my opinion is they charge a premium price for a less than average food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have very good friends that have used Natural Balance for years..and their Bully does great on it! Jake is on Fromm..beef fritatta..but he jut isn't doing great on it ..we have also tried the surf n turf with even worse results..so if I make a change..I'm going to try the Natural Balance. My vet also recommends it to all her new bully pup patients. Let us know!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I use Natural Balance LID Salmon. All four here are doing great on it.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
We have very good friends that have used Natural Balance for years..and their Bully does great on it! Jake is on Fromm..beef fritatta..but he jut isn't doing great on it ..we have also tried the surf n turf with even worse results..so if I make a change..I'm going to try the Natural Balance. My vet also recommends it to all her new bully pup patients. Let us know!

Samson didn't do well on Surf & Turf and the Beef Frittata either!

OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I'm getting excited with everyones input!! I feel like ruckus is a hot mess and it's all my fault. When we got him he was on nutro and looked great(he was 6months) knowing how crappy nutro is I switched him to Fromm. Each flavor seemed to cause different issues so I switched to instinct, first beef then salmon. He is so constipated I'm crying for him. The vet suggested natural balance, I don't doubt him, but had to check here lol!! I'm thinking of just switching right over since his poop will already be loose from the enemas today, and I don't want to block him up by transitioning slowly. Is this a bad idea??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm getting excited with everyones input!! I feel like ruckus is a hot mess and it's all my fault. When we got him he was on nutro and looked great(he was 6months) knowing how crappy nutro is I switched him to Fromm. Each flavor seemed to cause different issues so I switched to instinct, first beef then salmon. He is so constipated I'm crying for him. The vet suggested natural balance, I don't doubt him, but had to check here lol!! I'm thinking of just switching right over since his poop will already be loose from the enemas today, and I don't want to block him up by transitioning slowly. Is this a bad idea??

Because he is already having issues and a quick switch can cause issues on it's own I would suggest switching slowly. You don't want him to be in more discomfort than he already is.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My mom uses Natural Balance LID salmon and her bullies are doing great on it!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian are currently on Fromm (the beef frittata and the surf and turf), but because I just had to spend $128 at the vet today for meds for a double ear infection and infection in his folds, my vet suggested I try him on the NVI salmon flavor. So looks like I will be buying a bag of that to transition him over to. They almost have full bags left of both flavors and at $60 bucks a bag, I don't want to waste it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online