Regular Feedings important

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I was reading in another forum where someone asked this question. Their answers were primarily that regular timely feedings were not much important. However, as we know, our English Bullies are a whole different animal (pun intended) .. So it may very well be an important ritual...

I feed Jack at 6:00 am and then again at 6:00 pm
Even on weekends... which kinda sucks cause that means on Saturday & Sunday mornings there he is waiting to go outside and eat...... so im FORCED to get out of bed:hangover:

to prepare his bowl....

I was wondering how others here deal with their pet's meal times ...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is on a strict routine whether I want him to be or not. He eats at 7 and 5 with a bedtime snack of yogurt, fruits or veggies. On the weekend I do tend to sleep in usually until around 8-ish, he is OK with that but come 5 he is sitting by his bowl. I have tried to make him wait since he ate later breakfast on the weekends but he will not have it. So dinner is always at 5.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dozer would get idiopathic head tremors when his blood sugar got low. This started when he was 9mnths old. I read a lot of bullies get these. We had to keep his blood sugar up so he had 3 exact meal times and a bed time snack.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i feed annie at different times i never stick to times but thats just me lol,karen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Very tight schedule for the same reason [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] stated... 6 AM and 6 PM with a bedtime snack/treat.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yeah I am not so strict on the schedule either. Mainly cuz I used to free feed so there was no schedule, just fill the bowl when empty. Now that Cutty likes to over eat his fromm we have to try and limit the food so in the morning and at night but no times specifically.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I prefer no schedule though I do follow one most days out of necessity. I don't feel they are important unless there is a medical reason for them. I prefer to mix it up a bit so that they don't feel ill when I have to be late. If they are used to a schedule, their digestive fluids start flowing on schedule in anticipation of the meal and if you don't feed them, they will likely yak up some nasty bile.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], trust me I prefer no schedule either!! Vegas has set his own and has me well trained. It is like he can tell time. At 5 p.m. he is sitting by his bowl drooling waiting on me. It has been so bad at times he will actually sit there and start crying while I am scooping out his measured food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yes Sarah is on a schedule but its not strict like 5 or 6 am and same pm. She's kinda a pig so she let's me know its time to eat. The bostons well they eat same time as her mostly but if they don't eat till later its no big deal for them

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian get fed in the morning anywhere from 6-7 am during the week and sometimes 8am on the weekends. Dinner can be anywhere between 5-6pm, but they don't get really bent out of shape if it's past that time by a little bit in the evening.

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Even my Pit Bull minded his schedule. He knew exactly at what time he is suppose to eat and if I was late - he let me know. I couldnt over sleep either. He was used to me being up at 7am and if I wasnt he would whine around 8am

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've always kept my dogs on a schedule, even on the weekends - mainly because that's when I get up and need to get ready for work and then when home and when I have to start doing house stuff. Luckily for me I'm an early bird. The current feeding schedule is 5:50 and 6. They're licking their bowls now. There are those times though that something happens had dinner is a bit later but not too often. I feel it's very important to not only feed near the same time everyday, but it's equally important to feed twice a day and not once - that's just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We keep a schedule also, usually 6 to 7 AM and around 5:30 to 6:30 PM, even on weekends. No sleeping in on weekends, Lucy see's to that. She will start her little chirp of a bark about 5:30 AM. She does not care it is a weekend. haha

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
No one tells you before you get a dog that sleeping is No longer an option lol. I often thought just 1 day 1 Saturday can I please please sleep til 6. Nope especially not with Dozer. He was used to being let out of his crate to go potty and then climb in bed with me at 5 am. There will be no sleeping in mama , we gotta watch the sun rise.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mine are on a flexible schedule; breakfast is around 7am, sometimes 8 if we've gone out for a walk first, then dinner anywhere betw. 5pm-7pm. Then they always get their dessert before bedtime.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.