Chew Bones

Runlinds

May 16, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Churchill
Hi all! I did a search for bones and not much came up so am going to ask. I've heard mixed reviews on whether people think it is/isn't a good idea to give bones of various varieties to chew on. My mom bought Churchill some American Beef Hide rolls that are plain and Churchill is going to town on them! Is this OK? What should I be concerned about?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is some information that may be helpful for you. It's from a website called "love to know":

Regarding raw hide and beef hide,

Hazards and Benefits

Hazards: As with any toy you give your dog, raw hide and beef hide chews can present a choking hazard if they're not used under supervision. As your dog chews and slobbers on his treat, the hide becomes rehydrated, soft and gooey. When it reaches this point, your dog is able to tear away sections from the main bone. Most of the time your pet will simply wind up eating the hide and it will pass through his digestive system without a major event.

In some cases:
  • The hide can actually become lodged in a dog's teeth, requiring an owner's assistance to remove it.
  • Larger chunks may be too big to swallow, causing a dog to choke.
  • Intestinal blockage can also occur if the chunk of hide becomes lodged somewhere along the intestinal tract, and may require surgery to remove it.
While all of these scenarios are possible, they actually happen quite rarely. However, you should still take some precautions to ensure your dog's safety whenever you give him a raw hide chew.
Here are a few safety tips:
  • Make sure the chew is large enough that your dog can't fit it completely into his mouth.
  • Only give your dog a beef hide chew when you can be around to keep an eye on him.
  • Keep two chews on hand and trade them when one becomes too soft. The hide will harden as it dries, and you can give it to your dog again when the other chew becomes soft.
  • Replace your dog's chew when he has whittled it down far enough to fit in his mouth.
Benefits:
Raw hide chews do provide some dental benefits for your dog. As your pet chews, the hide scrapes away tartar and calculus from his teeth and gums where harmful bacteria like to hide. This will reduce your dog's chance of developing gum disease and tooth loss.Raw hides also give your pet a chance to exercise his natural chewing instincts on an appropriate item versus your table leg or favorite pair of loafers. Chewing can be a great stress reliever, so it's important to supply your dog with safe chew toys and bones.

Sounds like you need to proceed with great caution if you do decide to give your pup the beefhide. Personally, with other alternatives out there like Nylabones, i probably wouldn't.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea would be ok with them (always supervised closely) but Bo cannot be trusted for two seconds alone with a rawhide anything. He swallows things too readily -- So no one gets rawhide around here. Nylabones of every shape and size - but no rawhide anymore. Periodically, I get them those big "pretend" bones (I call them) in the treat aisle that have "bacon and cheese" or "peanut butter" goo inside them and the love those. No possible choking hazard and keeps these two busy busy busy for a good long time. But that's a very periodic treat. Who knows what's actually IN those things....

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I think the Nylabone is awesome...
I bought one about a month ago and Jack still chews on it daily....

I dont give him any treats.... 4 cups a day of Kibble is plenty calories for him.
I feel that giving a dog treats is mainly to satisfy our own parental (if you will) satisfaction...
The only so called treats I give him are 3 or 4 tablets of Brewer's Yeast, a tablet or 2 of YUMS antacid each nite. At least he thinks they're treats..!

I read good things about natural Deer or Elk antlers. I havent found any at Petsmart or Pet Supermarket...
I wonder if you can only find these online..??

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Raw hide is a no no.... too many risks. Antlers (cheaper online) are the best along with marrow bones from the butcher and Nylabones.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We would never give our bullies rawhides, the risk is too great, only Nylabones or Kongs for our bullies.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We used to give Bo (lab) pig ears and lex had gotten ahold of one when he was a puppy and it ended up half way down his throat! Luckily I was there and pulled it out!!! So we dot even buy pig ears or rawhide anymore. Bo used to throw up raw hide after he ate them :(

deegary

Jul 8, 2011
southport
Bulldog(s) Names
walter
I give walter marrow beef bones from the butchers always get the big ones, and i only let him have it a few days, otherwise he has Nylar bones that last for ever

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Rawhide is a no no here. They are not digested and can cause a blockage. I also do not give beef bones or any weight bearing bones of a large animal. They are teeth breakers. I used to give them marrow bones (beef) from the butcher and Gypsy broke a tooth on one. It was a baby tooth so no biggie but I would have been VERY upset had it been an adult tooth. After that incident, I did my research and unfortunately, it is fairly common. I would go with antlers or nylabones.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online