does food have to be grain free?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering what the thoughts were on if your dog has to be on a grain free diet? i know it is recommended but what if you have found a food that is very good food such as go natural chicken fruit and vegetable and your pets seem to be doing good on it. You like this company and have a cat on it and another dog on the salmon and oatmeal who is doing well also. The grain free versions of this brand all contain chicken turkey and duck which you believe your pet has an allergy to turkey and maybe duck so these are not an option. an email to company requesting different versions other than fowl were promptly replied to with a no we will not be making that as we have a salmon and oatmeal verion. So is grain free so important that you have to switch food companies to get it. Is a grain food okay as long as its a good one? I really would rather feed grain free but dont want to switch foods yet again. How important is it? I was wondering what my fellow bullies thought.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You don't HAVE to use grain free.... if you dog is ok with a food that has grain that's fine. It's just that a lot of dogs are allergic to something and grain is a big culprit of allergies so that is why people say to try grain free. But NO, you don't have to use grain free food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as BruceP states... does not have to be, but if you suspect allergies... have a allergy blood screen doen and you'll know for usre if you need to consider it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Great question [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..I think a lot of new bully owners especially wonder about this! If Sarah is doing well..then that's great..you have more options! And her doing well IS the most important thing!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
As with everyone, you don't have to go grain-free. Some people believe that dogs don't digest grain and that's one of the reasons they tend to avoid it. But if Sarah's doing well, then stay by all means.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I'd say stay with it if she isn't allergic. especially since the grain is oatmeal, which I read is a good grain but is more expensive so most dog foods do not use it.

H

heff101

We have discovered Heff does the best on royal canine bulldog formula which is NOT grain free.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.