Pig Ears, Is it a Do or a Don't!

Siobhan Johnson

Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

My husband and I visit his parents frequently. While we are doing that we usually stop at a butcher in those parts and buy all the dogs we know a smoked pig ear. Right now, my husband and I are in the market for our first english. When we get him, is it ok to feed the dog a smoked pig ear every so often?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not give them to a bulldog.... I do give them to Cane Corso's that I go see at a local rescue. They chew them up real good, but the time i tried with my bullies -- it was not a good outcome. Had to reach in their mouth and pull it out

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
They are a great snack for dogs with smaller mouths but with bullies anything that can get into and down their throat makes me anxious. Bulldogs just have such a big/wide mouth and throat it can be dangerous so I wouldnt. The deer antlers seem to be the big winner with bullies tho. :)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
No!!!!! one time when we first got lex he had gotten ahold of one of bos pig ears well it had gotten soft so he tried swallowing it!! Luckily we were watching him very closely w it and in a sec he had it down and was lodged in his throat and we had to pull it out!! So yes no pig ears or rawhide for bullies :)

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

My husband and I visit his parents frequently. While we are doing that we usually stop at a butcher in those parts and buy all the dogs we know a smoked pig ear. Right now, my husband and I are in the market for our first english. When we get him, is it ok to feed the dog a smoked pig ear every so often?

My opinion.....NO

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH does not chew. Her kibble is very small.

We have learned to not give her anything for treats that could be a choking risk. We tried greenies and she would choke on them, so we don't give her those any more. We even cut her sweet potato treats into swallowable sized pieces now.

.Also I read somewhere that rawhide and by association I would assume pigs ears because the texture seems similar can actually cause intestinal blockage in bullies.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Only Nylabones or Kongs for our bullies.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Big "NO" here. I know they love those pig ears and raw hides but I've had too many incidences where they get stuck and they throw them up or I have to pull them out. Not worth it!!! Deer Antlers are the way to go. They love them just as much and they just gradually wear down and have never broken or splintered. They almost feel like petrified rock but amazingly they are able to wear them down. At that point I get new ones.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i wouldnt as they slime up and to be honest bulldogs dont seem to have the sense to use their paws for tearing food,i raw feed mine and she still doesnt know how to use her paws when eating chicken with the skin on she just chomps for ages and regurgatates and slurps it back up!!!dumb dog,so pigs ears are a no no for me,you could try a pig trotter though they enjoy them ,though really gross to watch,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.