Salmon Oil v Coconut Oil

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I scoop it out with my hand and the heat from my hands melts it. I will have to try it on yeast. Cool!

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
:poo:
@LoveMyBullyBoy ......I bought the Whole Foods market 365 brand. It is unrefined, virgin, expeller pressed. What do you all think? I also found a brand on organic pet goods website, brand Nutriva. I don't think it's actually for pets but I guess it was recommended as being ideal for pets.

If it's unrefined virgin expeller pressed it should be good. And it should have a nice coconut smell to it. I've never used Nutiva, but my cousin's wife, who is following in my Hippie Mom footsteps, ordered it on sale to try & really likes it.

@cowsmom you should definitely try it on Sarah's back. It is somewhat greasy so don't overdo it or you'll turn her into a dirt magnet (don't ask me how I know that :blink:).

Yeah it does have a nice smell to it. This weekend I'm going to lather myself up with it after a good shower and treat my hair with it. Going to make sure and put a slip proof mat in my tub because they say to put it in your hair and leave it in for an hour or three. They recommend wearing a plastic shower cap so it can really be absorbed. I'll let you all know how the coconut oil works on me. Hee hee, I might give some to Meilyr and Friskie over the weekend. Want to be here to see how they react towards it. Don't want them to get the runs. Yikes:poo:

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
Used the coconut oil on my hair and it feels great. I just put it up and did a half pony tail. My hair felt great minus any product. Just put a bit of hairspray for the fly aways.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk......Laura

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
They are both oil but not of the same source.

"Definitely try it. Go slow.

Fat is really important for healthy skin and itchy skin isn't healthy skin! "

"They are two completely different fats. Feed salmon oil for the Omega 3s as you are doing. If your dog doesn't tolerate fat well sometimes coconut oil can be tolerated as it is a medium chain of fatty acids."

"coconut oil doesn't have the same benefits as the omegas in salmon. Is she only allergic to salmon or other fish?? I would try cod liver oil instead as it will have the same benefits"

and still other responses:
"Numerous benefits of coconut oil for pets have been reported and the growing evidence is impressive.

According to Dr. Bruce Fife, certified nutritionist and neturopathic doctor, coconut oil elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects from illness and speeds healing. In dogs,

In dogs, the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dog's skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.

What exactly is in coconuts that make it so good for your pet?

Coconut is comprised primarily of a medium chain fatty acid called Lauric acid and is considered responsible for many of its health benefits. The only other abundant source of Lauric acid found in nature is in human breast milk. When Lauric acid is synthesized by the human or animal body, it produces the same substance, monoglyceride monolaurin that keeps infants from getting viral, bacterial, or protozoal infections. Lauric acid, synthesized into monolaurin is used to fight and destroy viruses and various pathogenic bacteria, protecting your pets against infection and boosting his immune system. Coconut oil also contains capric and caprylic acid, which have similar properties and are best known for their antifungal effects. Like lauric acid, capric acid can also help balance insulin levels.

Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. The optimum dose for dogs is about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines, as some dogs need less and others more.

But don't start with these amounts. Instead, introduce coconut oil a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common in humans who consume too much too fast, and similar symptoms can occur in dogs.

Even in healthy dogs, large amounts of coconut oil can cause diarrhea or greasy stools while the body adjusts. Start with small amounts, such as ½ teaspoon per day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Gradually increase the amount every few days. If your dog seems tired or uncomfortable or has diarrhea, reduce the amount temporarily.

Coconut oil isn't the only coconut product that is good for dogs. Fresh or dried coconut is an excellent source of dietary fiber, and dogs enjoy and benefit from the same coconut flakes, coconut flour, coconut cream, coconut milk, shredded coconut, and coconut spreads used by their human companions. Just be sure the products are unsweetened and free from chemical preservatives.

Numerous benefits of coconut oil for pets have been reported and the growing evidence is impressive. Accroding to Dr. Bruce Fife, certified nutritionist and neturopathic doctor, coconut oil elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects from illness and speeds healing.

In dogs, the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dog's skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.

Fed regularly to pets, coconut oil may have multiple benefits:

Skin Conditions:

* Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin.
* Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
* Makes coats become sleek and glossy and deodorizes doggy odor
* Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
* Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
* Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings

Digestion

* Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
* Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
* Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
* Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing

As always, before giving any new treat or supplement, talk to your holistic veternarian and incorporating coconut oil and coconut chips in your pets diet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.