Salmon Oil v Coconut Oil

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We've always had the Grizzly Salmon oil and just love it ... mainly because it claims to boost their immune system. (The first two years we had Maggie she had an auto-immune disease that totally locked her jaw!!! :cry:)

I need to order some more Grizzly salmon oil, but am hesitantly considering the coconut oil instead. I know that [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] totally raved about it when she tried it.

Have any of you made the switch from salmon to coconut oil, and if so how does it compare. Or does anybody have experiences of just trying the coconut oil???

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I actually wondered the same thing! I am glad you asked. I use salmon oil now but bought some coconut oil to help soothe Gypsy's skin when she was battling mange. I use the salmon oil primarily for the Omega 3's since we raw feed but was wondering what, exactly, the coconut oil does.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] said that it was wonderful for the coat - made it shiny and soft and no smell. Just wondered if there were other health benefits too.

I could be wrong but I think [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] was going to give the coconut oil a try after finding the salmon oil a bit too stinky???

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I just did some digging (love/hate relationship with google lol). And it looks like it is good for allergies as well. Plus, one article stated it showed some anti-fungal properties which can't be bad for a bulldog. lol. I also saw that it is not toxic at any level and that you should use extra virgin or virgin. I buy an organic one at whole foods.

If you do start to use it, it says to start with only a bit. About a tsp a day for a week and build up to almost a tbsp over several weeks. If you give too much too soon, it can cause diarrhea. I do know that if you use it topically, it works great for dry skin and soothes itching. That is from experience :)

Hmmm...might think about it here but not sure about adding it WITH the salmon oil (which we really need).

Can't wait to hear more responses :)

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I gave my bully organic, raw, cold pressed, extra virgin (the good stuff) coconut oil every day for a month & never saw any improvement. I started giving salmon oil (capsules) after reading such good things about it and in 2 weeks I can already tell a difference in my boys coat, especially the dry flakies!
I absolutely LOVE coconut oil (I buy it by the gallon!) but in my personal experience, I love it better for external application. I use it on mine & my kids skin every day, I use it as the base for my homemade deodorant, sunblock, diaper rash ointment, and have made toothpaste with it. But for me, it did nothing for my dogs skin/coat. :nope: I did try a mixture of coconut oil and 50/50 vegetable glycerine & water on my boys skin & fur, and it helped with the flakies, but was super greasy and was a dirt magnet. It cleared up my daughter's eczema, but wasn't the best idea on the fur baby.
But by all means, definitely give it a try! It won't hurt them, and I didn't even notice any difference in poop. I'd read it can cause loose stool, but it didn't for my bully or Shih Tzu. You can find small jars at Kroger to try, and if you don't like it for your dogs, use it as your after bath moisturizer!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Brandi! I was thinking to use it on myself. lol. I love the way it smells.

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
I spoke to a lady from a local pet treat shop and she raved about the coconut oil. It's said to have antifungal and antibacterial elements. She's in the process of moving to her new shop and didn't have any in the shop. She gave me the name of coconut oil she sells which is specific to dogs. She said depending on the coconut oil, the dog may not be able to digest. It seems the brand she provided was exclusively for pets. She used it on her dogs (not bullies) and it really helped their skin. I'm sure as anything it will vary from dog to dog.

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I think everybody should try it. For themselves and their dogs! I may give it another go and try it WITH the salmon oil capsules. Maybe I got impatient & gave up too soon. ? My dogs loved the taste & licked it right off the spoon. My Shih Tzu follows my kids around after bath time & licks their legs b/c I've greased them down with coconut oil! Some melt & pour over the food, but I gave it straight. I would only use organic raw virgin coconut oil. Unrefined, preferably cold expeller pressed. Anything else and it's pointless b/c all the good has been processed out of it. I may be wary of anything marketed as a "pet specific type". To me that just sounds like a bit of a money maker, yunno? Spectrum brand (I can find it at my local Kroger) is great, and I buy in bulk from globalgoods.com. Those are the brands I can personally vouch for. You generally don't want to buy any in the cooking isle (such as LouAnn brand) as it's been refined and is really only good for sauteeing. And if there's no smell or taste, you can just about bet it's been refined. The good stuff should have a coconut smell & taste.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We used it for HRH for a while but I don't remember why we stopped... lol other than I absolutely hate the smell and/or taste of coconut. ;) Gracie is now on fish oil @ 1200mg a day. Is that enough?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im really interested in this as some of you know sarah has a yeast problem on her back. black skin hair loss and itchies. i use the salmon oil and actually stopped giving her the glucosamine as the salmon oil seemed to do much better for her. actually her back is almost cleared up and for the first time in her life she may soon have a full head of hair on it. but im still interested in it esp if it really has anitfungal properties. could maybe put it on her back not have her ingest it. cant wait to read more about it.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have only used it as a topical for Abby's yeast times. Here in Florida I don't have a dry skin issue, most likely because of the humidity.

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
[MENTION=3227]LoveMyBullyBoy[/MENTION]......I bought the Whole Foods market 365 brand. It is unrefined, virgin, expeller pressed. What do you all think? I also found a brand on organic pet goods website, brand Nutriva. I don't think it's actually for pets but I guess it was recommended as being ideal for pets.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk......Laura

Last edited:

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I need to go look at the jar I have. I think I will skip feeding it but I will continue to use it topically on myself! lol. The salmon oil is doing wonderful things for my guys.

When you say you use it for yeast times, how do you do that [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]? Do you mean you put it right on the yeasty spots? Gypsy has what could be a bit of yeast down by her hoo ha but in the crevice where her leg meets her tummy. Not sure, but possible.

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
@LoveMyBullyBoy ......I bought the Whole Foods market 365 brand. It is unrefined, virgin, expeller pressed. What do you all think? I also found a brand on organic pet goods website, brand Nutriva. I don't think it's actually for pets but I guess it was recommended as being ideal for pets.

If it's unrefined virgin expeller pressed it should be good. And it should have a nice coconut smell to it. I've never used Nutiva, but my cousin's wife, who is following in my Hippie Mom footsteps, ordered it on sale to try & really likes it.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] you should definitely try it on Sarah's back. It is somewhat greasy so don't overdo it or you'll turn her into a dirt magnet (don't ask me how I know that :blink:).

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I need to go look at the jar I have. I think I will skip feeding it but I will continue to use it topically on myself! lol. The salmon oil is doing wonderful things for my guys.

When you say you use it for yeast times, how do you do that [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]? Do you mean you put it right on the yeasty spots? Gypsy has what could be a bit of yeast down by her hoo ha but in the crevice where her leg meets her tummy. Not sure, but possible.

Mine jar is solid mass and I heat it up in a double boiler and rub in on the yeast areas like lotion. It makes her smell real good and if she can lick the area, she is fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.