Cost of good ....no , GREAT nutrition

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I realize there are so many threads already regarding food ratings for our beloved companions...
I would LOVE to buy nothing but the very best.. However, there are times, more often than not, I just cannot afford the best.

Im sure others may find themselves in this same situation, and Im wondering what you do.? Do you buy a cheaper brand for a week and then go back to the "good stuff"... Or have you found a happy medium with a particular brand...

I find myself in this situation today.
I started my 8 month old with Merricks . After that bag was thru, I went with TOTW Sierra Mountain $28 for 15 lb bag ($1.87/ lb) but I found that my pup developed a slight allergic reaction to it, not too severe.. Only a few red bumps on his rump area...
So yesterday, I bought WELLNESS CORE Ocean Recipe. ($39 for a 12 lb bag (3.25 / lb) Hoping that the fish recipe will help....

The prices between these 3 mentioned are respectfully higher that the one before.

I wanted to try FROMM's Surf & Turf, because of the high praise on this board but have not been able to find it locally
I saw it on the internet for $72 for a 24 lbs bag. ( $3.00/ lb)
so it too is up there...

Ok, I feel a little cheap talking about this but it hurt my wallet when i paid $39 for only 12 lbs..

So, I guess my question is, what is your happy medium.?
Or do you just go all out each time..? :tongue:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can get Fromm much cheaper through petflow, and free shipping with our coupon code for orders over $49. Petflow is usually cheaper than many pet supermarkets on many items too. Check them out: petflow

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I hear ya. Right now I have $120 something dollars worth of food in my pantry because I'm in the process of switching very slowly. On the upside though, once you find what food you'll stick with you can get the bigger bag which ends up costing less in the long run. Plus when feeding a better quality you will feed less so it works out about the same. Hope I'm wording this right and not too confusing lol!!

H

heff101

You can get Fromm much cheaper through petflow, and free shipping with our coupon code for orders over $49. Petflow is usually cheaper than many pet supermarkets on many items too. Check them out: petflow

Not all members here are from the USA.
Petflow does not ship to Canada and Fromm is very hard to find here and when you do the price is very high.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! I think the large bag of Fromm is $59.. Thru petflow..no shipping and in my case..sales tax...that's the 26lb bag....I think what you may need is a high quality food..available locally..that isn't such a high price...I totally understand..have you checked the dog food ratings page..I would select a few ..as high a star as you can..price them and try them..if you are a coscto member..they have Natures Domain..gets pretty good ratings and is around $40 for really big bag! Comes grain free and in a couple varieties..lots of people have good luck with natural balance limited ingredients...there are many options for you!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Fromm, thru Petflow worked out for me to be $2.4995/lb. Not cheap but a whole lot less than what we pay for some koi food... lol You do what you can and provide the best care you can afford; same with our own food. Sure we would love to have filet mignon every night of the week and lobster on the side but instead we have ground beef, chicken, or pork chops. As long as your bully is doing ok on the less costly food, FINE!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I know my boys have had success with Blue Wilderness grain free when I couldn't get the fromm shipped in time. I have found Blue Wilderness at petsmart. I couldn't transition them slowly since my shipment was delayed so I just had to give it to them and they didn't suffer any consequences from the Blue Wilderness and then switching back to fromm.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Right now I have Samson on Natures Variety Instinct which for a 25 lbs cost $62 from petflow, it's more at the pet stores. Natures Variety was great on helping clear up his ear infections but I will say the best Samson ever looked was when he was on Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Salmon so I am considering putting him back on that. He was on that Natural Balance formula for a couple years and he did great on that. It's a pretty affordable food, petflow lists it as $50 for a 28 lbs but I remember getting it at my feed store for closer to $45. BUT you do have to feed more of the Natural Balance than the NVI or Fromm because it has less protein so maybe in the end it's about the same price LOL

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
At Petflow, when you check out you enter englishbulldog as the code and when it totals the order it deducts the shipping from the total.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaah bayybieeeeee ! (say in Austin Powers voice)

Thanks so much.! that's a pretty good
deal.... :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep... we spend quite a bit on food for our bullies. We have raw made for them ($3.00 lb) based on their allergy results. They have been on it for about three years and we all could not be happier.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
When I was on Fromm, I could get the largest bag at the feed store for $60. You can check the Fromm website for dealers, you would be surprised at how many their are. I didn't think anyone carried it and then when I checked the site I found it quite close.

I raw feed now and pay anywhere from 69cents a lb to $1.59 a lb for food. A little more work and a bit more planning but worth it to us.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree totally. What concerned me initially was that I was buying a new Brand of Dog food every week ......bag after bag .... from FROMM to TOTW to WELLNESS to INNOVA to PRECISE
to NATURE'S VARIETY....to try and determine and isolate the Allergen that was causing Maximus to look so bad. He looked horrible. His eyes were red and swollen, his Face was red and pink,
he got Dermatitis/Pyoderma and it just got worse with no relief and no signs of him improving. And it all cost me a fortune! I'm really wondering whether there really IS a good dog food out there on the market .....??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online