Does anyone feed Nature's Variety INSTINCT ??

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
This food was recommended to me for Maximus, so I have tried it, and he appears to really like this food. I am using the Limited Ingredient formula Lamb Meal to see if this has any effect
on his allergies/skin conditions. Is anyone else using or has used this Food for their Bully ?

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I just switched Chunk to it ... We are about a month in (though I took 3 weeks to do the switch so I guess it's more like a week in). I haven't seen any major changes yet ... But really I won't be able to tell for another month or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been on it for about a year and a half, he does wonderful on it. It took him about 6 weeks when I did the food change to see a difference and SMELL the difference, he stunk sooo bad before the food change. He eats the Salmon, I tried the Chicken and it was like taking two steps forward and one step back on the chicken. We stick to strictly Salmon.

Tracey

Sep 25, 2010
Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
MooShi and Owen
We feed MooShi NVI ,she is doing very well on it. What we like is that it is made to be rotational, so that they do not get bored with same flavor all the time. She seems to like the salmon and turkey & duck the best.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i tried sarah on it for her yeast and tried two different ones the salmon and rabbit and she didnt do well on either but didnt try the limited ingredient ones as i think they had just come out when i took her off of it. but many here feed with success. i have thought of trying sarah on the lamb limited but she seems to be doing good on the nutrisca and go natural salmon and oatmeal mixture so im going to leave well enough alone for now. let us know if maximus gets better. so hoping this food is the ticket for you.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just bought a few of the canned foods and my boys love it so far. They are actually on Blue Wilderness but there were cans of the Nature's Variety on sale and the interesting thing was, they have a rabbit meat flavor. I put a scoopful on their dry food. I've heard a lot of good things about NVI and would consider them if BW doesn't work out.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I feed NVI to both my bullies and they do very well on it. I echo [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] when I say it drastically reduced the "doggy" smell and also improve the condition of both my dogs' coats, ears, eyes, and overall health. I tried all varieties and they did best on the Beef and Lamb but Truman has since had an episode of superficial pyoderma and is my "itchy" man so if he doesn't improve on Zyrtec, I might try the limited ingredient diet.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Natures Variety Instinct, the salmon formula, has by far worked the best for my Samson. He's always done the best with grain free and salmon based foods, I had him on Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon for a couple years. He did well on it for the majority of that time until he got his first ear infection last year, it kept coming back and over the course of 6 months nothing the vet ever prescribed was able to clear it up. BUT after I switched Samson to the NVI salmon the ear infection was gone within 2 weeks and now almost a year later he has never had one again. Since it's potato free it's great for bullys dealing with yeast issues.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks to everyone for your input ---- Maximus is on the LID Lamb Meal variety and he likes it, (and my PUG likes it to, and she is strictly an INNOVA girl). So I'm hoping he starts to look better ---- I don't know whether it's Allergies or the food, but right now Max has a red face, swollen eyes, his nose is running and he sneezes ......I've tried both ZYRTEC and BENADRYL and neither one of them are effective at all .
Does anyone have a recommendation for another Allergy medication I can try ????

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am glad you are trying a new food. I hope it works for him! It does take time though so patience :). For the environmental stuff, I think I saw on another thread that you might only be giving half of what you can with the benedryl. You may also want to consider an allergy test. With what you spend on meds it would probably save you money.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The problem is that Maximus prefers his TOTW over the NV Instinct. TOTW is a good food, but it does have potatoes and sweet potatoes, and I have read alot of articles stating potatoes can be a problem for dogs with Allergies, so I had hoped he would favor the NV Instinct more (I have the LID Lamb Meal variety). And now I have read that LAMB can be a problem with dogs who have Allergies, too.

Should I switch to NV Duck, Turkey, or what ??? HELP !

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't feed the NVI..but I have read lamb can be like chicken..as far as allergies..and I would stay away from turkey if he has adverse reactions to chicken. How about beef? It's pretty much where I'm stuck right now with Fromm and I think he could do better. I'm giving it more time but I am thinking about going back to natural balance and going with venison or bison..limited ingredient. It does have potaoes..but so far Jake doesn't have yeast issues. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] really..really likes the nutrisca brand...and she's an expert with food things...that would be my other choice..I hate..hate changing foods...so I'm sticking with Fromm for a bit longer...sigh..I will tag a couple people who feed NVI instinct..they can weigh in! [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..and [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION]! Help this guy!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Have nothing but good things to say about it.. when we switched Duke, his coat improved a ton and no more yeast build up in the ears.. ( it took a good 6 weeks ) but within a week we noticed he felt better.. much more energetic and bowels were perfect. We feed the duck formula canned and mix with the beef. the duck has peas and carrots in it and he loves it.. the woman at the pet store suggested mixing.. it worked we never looked back. We feed 1/2 can wet mixed with 1/2 cup dry in am and the other half can and 1/2 cup pm.

we too were feeding DVP duck and potato and Duke would get ear infections once a month.. I would try it?? Good Luck

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.