feeding an adult dog puppy food

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It it safe to feed my bully puppy chow? I just got him sunday and his previous owner said he has been on puppy chow since a puppy, I am just wondering if there is any negatives to leaving him on it?

bulldogcrazytime

Apr 23, 2010
We don't even keep our puppies on puppy food for long. With bulldogs you want a slow steady growth so as to not put excess weight on the joints and bones while growing. If I was you I would begin to transition your bully over to a good quality low-protein adult food now, mixing with his current food until it is switched over to the new (3/4 old to 1/4 new for a couple days, 1/2 old and 1/2 new for a couple days, 1/4 old to 3/4 new for a few days and then finally 100% new food.) Good luck and take care!

Brandy

Aug 20, 2011
Sierra Vista, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Liberty Belle, Kash, and Layla
Puppy food is suppose to be formulated to promotegrowth. I’ve told everyone that hasgotten a puppy from me to take them off puppy food when they were 6 months oldbecause you don’t want the pup to grow faster than its bones and joints canform. Time for a food change

OP
M

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He is 2-1/2 and weighs about 55 lbs. So he isn't overweight, but I guess it's time to find him something new.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Are you talking about Purina Puppy Chow? That's crappy food. I won't even feed that to my puppy...

So yeah, definitely time for a change!

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@Muney This may be a silly question but the title of the thread is about feeding an adult dog with puppy food, and you mention that he is 2 1/2. Is that months or years??

I agree with what @anatess said if you mean you are feeding him puppy chow from Purina. That is a truly awful food for your bully. There are articles and advice on nutrition on this site so that you can see what dog food rating each food gets.

Personally, I like Fromm. It's more expensive but you give them a lot less so I think it's worth it. The Fromm 4* range is an all-stages food, so if you are unsure of whether to stay with puppy or go to an adult food then you would be covered by both.

Otherwise ...... :welcome: and just remember that

:pics:

OP
M

Muney

Sep 1, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yes he is 2-1/2 years old, previous owner said that he has been eating purina puppy chow his whole life and hasn't had not one problem or concern from any of his vet visits. He is built well, notFat, great coat, and has good bowel movements, so I'm really reluctantOn changing his food.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.