Fromm = worse allergies?

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
i switched Reilly to Fromm Beef Frittata a week ago. When I get home from work Reilly looked fine no redness or paw licking. As soon as I feed him the Fromm, his face becomes very red and he immediately start licking his paws (which are very red). He continues to be very red all night and in the morning his chin and face is very pink. I am at a wits end with this food thing! Has anyone else had this type of reaction? If so, what has helped your bully's food allergies? I want to get him off this food ASAP!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He may be allergic to beef. I understand your frustration!! It took me 6 mos to find the right ones. How long has he been on it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Edit that. I see a week. When did this reaction start?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I suggest you go ahead and bite the bullet and pay for allergy testing at the vet. It may give you false positives but it very rarely gives you false negatives. Then, at least, judging by the level that he is allergic to, you can tailor your food choices to it. Then it's not so much of a crap shoot.

Hope this helps.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
the reaction happened since i started the food. i really think he might be allergic to the beef or potatos...

He has been allergy tested but they cannot allergy test for food allergies. He is allergic to alot of things outside and the dog dermatologist thinks it might be food related too...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
the reaction happened since i started the food. i really think he might be allergic to the beef or potatos...

He has been allergy tested but they cannot allergy test for food allergies. He is allergic to alot of things outside and the dog dermatologist thinks it might be food related too...

Yikes! Okay...

Let's see if we can do this step-by-step. I find this article a great one. Maybe we can follow this routine (if you're not yet doing it) and try to do this scientifically.
Food Allergies & Food Intolerance in Dogs

The interesting thing is, the article lists beef as the most common offender of food allergies. Here's the rest:

Common food culprits
Several studies have shown that some ingredients are more likely to cause food allergies than others. In order of the most common offenders in dogs are beef, dairy products, chicken, lamb, fish, chicken eggs, corn, wheat, and soy. As you may have noticed, the most common offenders are the most common ingredients in dog foods. This correlation is not a coincidence. While some proteins might be slightly more antigenic than others, many proteins are similar in form and the incidence of allergic reactions are probably associated with the amount of exposure.

In the article, it has a method for food trial and elimination diet.
Food trials and elimination diets: A food trial consists of feeding an animal a novel food source of protein and carbohydrate for at least 12 weeks. A novel food source would be a protein and carbohydrate that the animal had never eaten before. Examples would include be rabbit and rice, or venison and potato. There are a number of such commercial diets available on the market. In addition, there are specialized diets that have the proteins and carbohydrates broken down into such small molecular sizes that they no longer would trigger an allergic response. These are termed 'limited antigen' or 'hydrolyzed protein' diets. Homemade diets are often used, as the ingredients can be carefully restricted. Regardless of the diet used, it must be the only thing the animal eats for 12 weeks. This means no treats, no flavored medications, no rawhide or pig's ears; absolutely nothing but the special food and water. In addition, the dog should not be allowed to roam, which may result in him having access to food or garbage.

Blue Buffalo has a Basics formula that may help with this. I'm not familiar with Fromm's formula, but there's probably a counterpart to the BB Basics.

Hope this helps!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow poor thing. Maybe give benedryl in the meantime. I know fromm can be returned for refund so maybe try that. Have you tried their other grain free? Cant think what its called but it is the fish one. Maybe switch out the bag for that one so you can change asap cuz they are interchangeable and wont cause tummy ache or anything. Then if that doesnt help you know it isnt the beef anyhow.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed FROMM also and Lucy turns red on Duck & Sweetpotato so we switched her to the Surf & Turf and she is fine on that. Buddy does not like the Surf & Turf so we buy him the Pork & Applesause.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
so last night I went to petstore and bought a bag of Blue Buffalo Longevity which is mostly fish. Wow once I switched his face completely cleared. It was definitively the beef for sure that was causing the redness!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh thats good that you figured that out. I worry about the switch making his :poo: runny tho. Maybe wanna add in some canned pumpkin (100% pure, not pumpkin pie mix) with his food to help keep him firm. Unless you already supplement with this. ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad he is doing better. it can be difficult to know what they are allergic to but im glad things are clearing up for you.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
yes I was afraid of switch to Blue Buffalo making his :poo: runny, but it didn't! I am keeping my fingers crossed this food helps his allergies! so far all the redness between his toes went away (knock on wood!)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The blue buffalo poos seem to related specifically to the puppy food.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
YEAY!!!!!!!!!!

My dogs are on Blue Wilderness Duck or Salmon flavors and they're ok with them. Bullie got a chinful of red bumps last week but it's gone now - gotta be seasonal allergies. Interestingly, her bumps cleared up at about the same time my son's seasonal allergies cleared up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online