Not open for further replies.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
please do not forget the vitamins---- (childrens liquid vitamins will do nicely,) 1/2 teaspoon per 50 lb dog per day, also calcium. 2 eggs shells ground up will do nicely. please ask your vets for exact amounts, depending on your dog.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Hi there- I just reread your note- and bumps- are allergies. are they Between the toes? you can get neam powder @ the vets, and shake a little in between the toes after you dry them when she comes out of the bath. but it is due to allergies.most likely. washing feet when coming in really helps also , why not put some baby socks on her and Velcro them on , to put a barrier between her feet and the ground. works well.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
if she is getting bad again, then she is allergic to something, it is usually food,(and don't give her shots any more often than 4 to 6 months,(they are good for only 6 weeks--BUT--- these shots stop working at all if given very much)ask for a script for Genesis topical spray, it is a very mild steroid like the shot- but much milder) and she wont build up a resistance to the shots,(life is miserable after that, itching 24/7) you just give a few light sprays when ever she starts to itch, just for that day, and you can get several days in between for several months if-- she is eating the Fromm food, which is what I have started feeding the last year since I found out that EVERYTHING THEY NEED IS IN THAT FOOD- it is more costly to buy , but cheaper because you dont feed as much, 1/2 cup twice a day, or at the most ,2/3 cup twice a day. stay away from the salmon(because of Bulldogs tend to get stones) and never any brand that may use organs in the food.

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
It took us about a year to figure out what Bruno could handle. He would throw up all the time. Turns out he is allergic to everything except fish. So right now, we have him on Fromm Salmon a la Veg and he has been much healthier. Ironically, Bunker is allergic to fish (of course!), so we have him on the Fromm Puppy food for now. I am thinking we will try the Fromm Beef Frittata with him. You could keep trying different proteins to figure out if it is that. It takes a lot of time, but in the end, once it is figured out, it is totally worth it! Good luck!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
so how long has he been on fromm food? and if he is on puppy food -which flavor-MEAT-?if he is allergic to fish(and you know this how)? how many of the Fromm different meats have you tried?
the reason I ask this is -- you can feed a bulldog fish from fromm foods, and the same ingredients but with another brand of food--and they will throw up the other food!!! it is not only whats in it but how it is made.!! so my advice to owners with dogs that are reactive to many foods is to try each type of meat of the Fromm foods for 2 months each type meat, until you have tried all of them.with no reaction form any of them.OF course if the dog is throwing up the food within 24 hrs or less stop!! with that food and call them allergic to the type meat or protein. but it takes a few weeks up to two months to really try something so that you know that the food/medicine what ever is working/causing any reaction for sure.
one thing may be that he is allergic to a different type of fish!not just salmon. if he is ok on salmon. he may not be OK on the white fish, which is by the way better for dog s who may be prone to stones. than salmon which is better /higher in minerals than other fish. the rule of thumb for reactions/intolerance /allergic to meats/proteins is the more common the meat the more likely chance they have been fed it often and continuously for so long that they have built up an intolerance to a given meat/protein. the most common at this time is beef and lamb, because dogs have been fed these two for so long with no variation till they have become reactive to it. young pups are a surprise every time we feed them something new so I suggest a great food that is guaranteed so that you can take back the bag, (no matter how little is left and exchange it ) and try a different meat type. good luck and keep in touch. my email is [email protected]

SamsonSezz

Nov 2, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson & Mason
the shots are extremely hard on them. if you can stretch it out to every 6 months with a topical spray called GENNISIS then you will greatly lengthen the life of your dog. and yes test thyroid every year.

I'm new to this forum but, am learning so much. Thank you for all your input.
Just last yr we lost one of our boys (Chief) to stones. I'm blessed to still have his brother Samson...
and we also have another 10mth old- Mason.

As all of you, i too have issue with Allergies and trying to find the right food for my boys.
I've tried Natural Balance Grain Free, California Natural, Wellness, and currently in transition to Taste of the Wild from Orijen.

I've tried the shots and pills. I'm a nursing student and know that just as our bodies react to meds, so do our precious animals.
Any and all advise is appreciated on what to try for my boys and thier allergies. I will continue reading and learn : )

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
the main reason dogs get stones is they are not drinking enough water, and Bulldogs are famous for laying around and sleeping and not drinking enough. if they ran and worked hard they might but they dont
so by adding a little (2 to 3 TBS) of chicken broth to the water dish it makes them like it better and the salt keeps them thirsty.
once a dog has had crystals or stones(and you have paid for the surgery)you increase the water and monitor the bladder /kidneys
as a rule salmon is great for dogs. the omega 3 and 6 is what they need for joints and arthritis and such . but for dogs that have had stones, food other than salmon is recommended, like the whitefish,chicken,and never any organ meats. and believe me the food you are feeding will have organ meat as some protein. unless the bag says ---muscle meat ---it will have by product meat-- and theat can mean brains,hooves, chicken feathers,beaks,stomach contents,intestines. all of the left over things from human cuts.----unless it says --muscle meat -- it isn't!!!!!!
that is one of the reasons I recommend Fromm foods. they get daily shipments of muscle meats for their foods.that means the roasts, steaks ,chuck sirloin. and the have a nutritionist on duty all and every day to answer questions of the public.I have been in touch with him twice today already about mineral content be cause my dog is having issues. you see in marketing the words WILD/WOLF.NATURAL/NUTRO/ORGANIC/HEALTHY those kinds of words mean something hinting at goodness!!!! like benifull!!! all that nice beef stew and veggies floating around .should be a good stew you would think., NOT------no meat what so ever , just stomach contents,(what the cow had eatin when killed) 3 kinds of salt (separately labeled so no one suspects just how much is in it ) and a lot of corn, or beet pulp, (cheap fillers)
unless you wish to have a dog that is in the vets time after time doing tests. just ask a rescue bulldog person what foods they have seen the dogs coming in eating.
many foods do not cause problems right away, the go un noticed except to the internal organs for years , till they keep causing other issues like ear infections skin issues, and many vet visits till people give up and surrender them cause they can t afford to take them to vets anymore. and that is usually about 4 to 6 yrs old,but I have had several dog s at ten that folks have surrendered.I have no idea how someone can have a dog for 10 yrs and give it away.ugh!
SO IN THE BEGINNING --go strait to the great food___that BULLDOGS CAN EAT--- not any other breed__it might be fine for a labor Shepard--but not bulldogs. bath them once a week with a baby shampoo(PH balance is fine)use the vinegar water mix 2 x a week in ears,on paws,private parts,in wrinkles on face. and you will stay out of the vets office.

SamsonSezz

Nov 2, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson & Mason
HA :bully: I've looked for it (FROMM) locally too...no luck! Currently, I'm transitioning to Taste of the Wild from Orijen. We'll see how that works out. I'll keep ya'll posted

SamsonSezz

Nov 2, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson & Mason
The Chicken Broth is a fantastic suggestion.
What is the vinegar/water mix? I definitely need to do this, Samson gets yeast in his ropes right above the nose and in the ears....

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
My older bully, Bruno (1 year, 4 months) has been on Fromm Salmon a la Veg for about 5-6 months. He seems to be doing really well...we feed him 2/3-3/4 cup 3 times a day. My younger bully, Bunker (4 months) is on the Fromm Puppy Gold formula (2/3-3/4 cup 3 times a day). I say he is allergic to salmon, because we tried to feed him the same food as Bruno, but he got really bad diarrhea. We put him on a bland diet for a few weeks until the diarrhea cleared up, and tried it again (to make sure it was, in fact, the food causing the diarrhea), and he immediately got diarrhea again. He has not had diarrhea since putting him on the Fromm Puppy Gold. So, we are going to have to make some decisions soon about what Fromm food to try next with him when we get him off the puppy food...we will ONLY buy Fromm food. When do you recommend we make the switch from Fromm Puppy to Fromm All Life Stages? We also give each dog about 1 TBSP. of 100% canned pumpkin with their 3rd meal. And we use cucumbers and Fromm treats for snacks.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
The Chicken Broth is a fantastic suggestion.
What is the vinegar/water mix? I definitely need to do this, Samson gets yeast in his ropes right above the nose and in the ears....

THE mix is 50/50 2 x a week, wrinkles,paws, private parts, and ears of course, I use a baby's ear syringe with the long tip, so that I get it right down deep, they will smell like a dill pickle, but never yeasty!! they will run at the smell of it too.!LOL!!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I did some digging and this is what I found, this company is new, they have only had 6 reviews, I wont us e anyone till they have had at least 10, But I will explain why I would not use this food, and why you wont want to either, some things do not appear quickly or obviously in /on a dog for up to 4 to 6 years, when they will effect internal organs, and become life long chronic issues!
-----------------
Ingredients: {{ Bison, venison broth, lamb broth, lamb liver, egg, }}}(peas, potato starch, ))sweet potatoes, ((potatoes,)) roasted venison, roasted bison, ocean fish, guar gum, natural flavor, tomatoes, sodium tripolyphosphate, canola oil,(( salt,)) potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, chicory root, iron proteinate (a source of chelated iron), zinc proteinate (a source of chelated zinc), yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, cobalt proteinate (a source of chelated cobalt), blueberries, raspberries, copper proteinate (a source of chelated copper), manganese proteinate (a source of chelated manganese), riboflavin supplement, ((sodium))) selenite, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin D3 supplement.
---also this food is full of man made vitamins--NOT natural vitamins** from foods. and why do they use plain white potatoes 2 x , and why use salt in 2 places(so you wont notice how much salt ))

Red Flag Ingredients: No
US Only Ingredients: Yes
Natural Preservatives: Yes
Shelf Life: 12 months
4.3 dry rating
Crude Protein: 32% Crude Fat: 18% Crude Fiber: 3% Moisture: 10%
Per Taste of the Wild -(((( 60% of the above protein percentage is from meat sources.))) OFTEN THE PROTEIN SOURCES CAN ACTUALLY COME FROM OLD BOOTS -seriously-once it was a cow hide !!! and fiber can be sawdust!!(if only 60 % comes from meat, what is the other 40 % from ??

Plus: The Taste of the Wild Pet Food Representative told me the ingredients are human quality/grade. The mineral listings do read to be chelated or proteinated (for better mineral absorption). This food does appear to contain friendly bacteria (benefits the intestinal system and in turn the immune system of the pet);*****however the probiotics are not listed in Guaranteed Analysis.*** This pet food contains several quality animal protein sources (bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg, venison).

Minus: Contains Sodium Selenite - potential risk form of selenium. (((Contains Canola Oil; controversial oil not tested for safety with animals ---and it is GENETICALLY MODIFIED--ONE OF 5 THINGS THAT ARE ON THE MARKET-- SOY,SUGAR-(FROM BEETS),CORN,CANOLA OIL,-& i CANT REMEMBER THE OTHER ONE,))
(over heating and cooking , hydrolyzes the food and then it is easier to digest BUT lessens the equality of the food /cooks out the good stuff!! and it is hazardous once it becomes hydrolyzed!!! and they are secretive about ,how hot or how long they cook.
--------------------------------------------
The Fromm Representative stated 'meat meal' ingredients (chicken meal, duck meal,...) ((((do not contain by-products, only muscle meat;)))) this means the roasts ,staeks,chops that you and I buy, and they put it in writing!!! pretty good guarantee!! fish meal preserved with citric acid (natural preservative). Manufacturing plants have APHIS EU certification. Dry foods are cooked at 255 F for 50 seconds. For more information on Fromm Family Pet Foods visit http://ww
-- and this is the difference in Fromm, they have had 20 reviews, and a 5 dry rating out of 5 Plus--: The Fromm Family Representative told me ingredients are human grade/human quality. The mineral listings do read to be chelated or proteinated (for better mineral absorption). This food contains friendly bacteria (benefits the intestinal system and in turn the immune system of the pet);(((( included in Guaranteed Analysis (company guarantees viable bacteria). IN WRITING!! Contains Flaxseed, Alfalfa - health promoting ingredients.

Minus: Contains Sodium Selenite - potential risk form of selenium.
ngredients: Beef, Peas, Whole Dried Eggs, Potatoes, Pea Protein, Pork Meat Meal, Beef Liver, Sweet Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Cheese, Safflower Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Vegetable Broth, Whole Eggs, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Pork Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.
THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF THE BEEF ONE
BUT FROMM is only one out of 2 companies in the US and Canada who will guarantee in WRITING that they pre and pro biotics are in the food and how much the minimum is, and they are pleased to tell you how hot the food is cooked ,and how long-
You can look at the two foods and pay attention to the parts that I have put into parenthesizes. and get a much better idea of what you are buying. No other pet foods say muscle meat--- FROMM is proud of the quality. and they have nutritionist on duty all day, and you can talk to him directly, I do so often.! good luck, understanding pet food labels is just like going to the car lot, and trusting the salesman.
thank god I took marketing in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.