What do you feed your Bulldog ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frances

Feb 5, 2010
MIAMI, FLLORIDA
Bulldog(s) Names
EMMA
I ask this because my Emma has allergies which we are trying to keep under control. Her eyes get pretty bad and so does her
face, the rest of her skin is not a problem. The vet has been giving her some pills for her allergy but as soon as she stops taking them, she starts up with her allergies. She has been eating lamb & rice from Nutro but still she gets bad so today
the vet had me change her food to Natural Balance - Allergy Formula lets see how that goes. The vet says if that doesn't help he will be running more test to try to pin point what she's allergic to. As much as she like rolling in the grass, I can't let her because that for sure flares her up. I feel so bad for her but unless I am walking her she satys in doors all day even though we have a huge yard for her to run. Emma does enjoy her beauty sleep so it's not to bad for her since my bed is her favorite sleep place. Well, if anyone has any suggestions that could help, let me know.

Attachments

• sleepy.jpg
    sleepy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
I would try changing dog foods, but I would also go to a good bulldog vet who is familiar with allergies. I paid $300-$400 for a full allergy work up, found out what my Sara was allergic to so I could help her. Worth the cost, once you diagnose the problems you can then give her allergy shots that are equal to exactly what she is allergic to, I remember it was everyday, then everyother day, then 3 days, then 4, then once a week, ect ect..... Finally after quite some time it was once a month and then I stopped eventually.

Also make sure they test her thyroid and sometimes getting them fixed helps tremendously.

Attachments

• Dempsey McCann.JPG
    Dempsey McCann.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 173
  • Dempsey McCann 2.jpg
    Dempsey McCann 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Dempsey & BooBoo2.jpg
    Dempsey & BooBoo2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 157
  • Dempsey - Bad to the Bone.jpg
    Dempsey - Bad to the Bone.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Dempsey McCann 6.jpg
    Dempsey McCann 6.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 193
  • pup1.jpg
    pup1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 156
OP
F

Frances

Feb 5, 2010
MIAMI, FLLORIDA
Bulldog(s) Names
EMMA
Thanks I am going to check with the vet today. Emma does well with the pills but once she stops taking them she gets bad again.

zandersmom99

Feb 14, 2010
Key Largo, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry Wrinkler, Boss Hawgg, Magnolia
Bulldogs, as with most purebreeds are allergic to corn, wheat and soy. Unfortunately most dog foods are full of at least one of these items. The best dog food I have found for Bulldogs is Solid Gold, particularly their Hundenflocken Pellets. It does not have any of the above listed ingredients and it is highly digestable, so they produce less poop. I also reccommend a broad spectrum enzyme for digestion. Bulldogs have a crazy GI tract, and it doesn't take much to get their stomaches in mess. Digestive enzymes will help tremendously with digestion, shedding, ear infections and skin issues. I use Human enzymes for my Bulldogs because they are much more cost effective and they are perfectly fine for dogs, but there are many digestive enzymes specifically designed for dogs which work well but are a little more costly. Solid gold puts a digestive enzyme out, and there is a product out called Missing Link. Digestive enzymes are a must for Bulldogs, but very few Vets know anything about them. Before you start shooting your dog up with medicines that only treat symptoms, try getting to the underlying problems that often go undiagnosed by Vets. Large Animal Vets know how important digestive enzymes are, but regular Vets are just starting to catch on.

bob-the-beefcake

Feb 13, 2010
Hi, my bully does not have allergies but we feed him AvoDerm and his skin and coat are great. In fact everytime we go see our vet, who is a true bulldog vet, he always comments on Bob's coat and skin.

tazzy

Feb 1, 2010
Hi Frances, I feed my bulldog a specially formulated food for bulldogs, from Royal Canin, I get it at Petco or Petsupermarket, it is about $50.00 for a 40 lg bag. It was developed for the bulldog digestion system. There is a story in the Royal Canin website about it. It is in a red bag, Bulldog24. Hope you find something that works. The Smart Balance is OK, but caused Taz to have loose bowels, and he gained a lot of weight on it. He also had bowel problems with the Solid Gold. This stuff works great for him.

Bulldog Pride

Mar 16, 2010
Upstate NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I feed Otis Blue Buffalo, Chicken & Brown Rice Puppy. He loves it. Our vet recommended it. Great ingredients.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 146

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I ask this because my Emma has allergies which we are trying to keep under control. Her eyes get pretty bad and so does her
face, the rest of her skin is not a problem. The vet has been giving her some pills for her allergy but as soon as she stops taking them, she starts up with her allergies. She has been eating lamb & rice from Nutro but still she gets bad so today
the vet had me change her food to Natural Balance - Allergy Formula lets see how that goes. The vet says if that doesn't help he will be running more test to try to pin point what she's allergic to. As much as she like rolling in the gr***, I can't let her because that for sure flares her up. I feel so bad for her but unless I am walking her she satys in doors all day even though we have a huge yard for her to run. Emma does enjoy her beauty sleep so it's not to bad for her since my bed is her favorite sleep place. Well, if anyone has any suggestions that could help, let me know.

please allow me to help-- go back to the vet and buy- {hills sience diet ZD Ultra} I do not like the food as a whole.its crap, but this formula will allow food to pass through her and not bother the allergies. and can be fed for a lifetime if need be. But it will settle her down in just a few weeks.5 to 6 -you wont recognize her skin.
But in the mean time.anytime she is outside, please put a shirt on her about a size 6 or 7 size girls shirt from the second hand store. the longer the sleeves the better. get a cuffed one if possible. and when she comes in . RIGHT AWAY wash her with a warm wash cloth and rinse her in the shower with the spray. paws,face, until you know what is triggering it. please take the time to do this.
the reason the vets recommend these foods is that they get kick backs on the food. and this food is one that was on the recall list.
get the ZD Ultra and get her a cortizone shot. at the same time. do not feed her anything --ANYTHING else for 6 to 8 weeks. no treats, nothing.
you will not recognize her I promise.
the shot will calm her system down to zero and allow her to start fresh.
the vet was probably giving her antibiotics or a temeral P. usually they don't stop temeral P though . so I am guessing antibiotics.
is this all year long or just seasonal ? how old is she and how long has this been going on.?
pine needles are bad for dogs, most flowers too. ceder bark dust. and choc bark is very deadly. I hope this has helped. you can email me directly at [email protected] Linda

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I must say that the royal Canine was designed for the bulldog mouth . unfortunately, it is not a good food for bulldogs. it does have soy in it as I recall, and rule of thumb -- if the food is sold in petsmart or petco, it is because they can make a profit on it. the holistic pet stores sell the quality foods that cost more, and do not make as much profit. I know this because I am a business and am very aware of the ingredients in dog food. I deal with the manufacturers weekly, I used to be a distributor for royal canine and wellness, until they started cutting corners. all of the foods mentioned get their meat from rendering plants. an it isn't pretty . there is no human grade muscle meat in any of those brands. just because it may say human grade doesn't
mean you and I would eat it. there are a lot of parts of the cow,chicken that ethnic groups eat. but are not served in restaurants as a rule. and if you read the bags , it will say contents. meaning the guts and such, feet, beaks , need I say more.? and the cows that are dead and sent to the plants, road kill, pets that are euthanize'd are also often part of the rendering plant meat. this is what is allowed for our pets. and by 4 to 6 they show up if not before, Bulldogs can only do well on the top 3 or 4 brands. If you wish them to stay out of the vets office. having been in the bulldog rescue for the last 10 yrs. I see the results of most foods bought in petco/petsmart.

Loo-e

Mar 27, 2010
sahuarita, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Low Low
I have a 3 month old bully and I am new to this breed of dog. I have him on Taste of The Wild dog food. But I am confused since I asked my vet if that food was good for him and he told me its good but all you really need is regular Puppy Chow. All the extra vitimines in those higher priced dog foods the dogs just urinates them. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 3,362

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
OMG don't listen to your vet! Bulldogs are different, they are prone to allergies. Remember you are what you eat.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
the shots are extremely hard on them. if you can stretch it out to every 6 months with a topical spray called GENNISIS then you will greatly lengthen the life of your dog. and yes test thyroid every year.

Attachments

• brulil7.jpg
    brulil7.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 144
  • brulil11.jpg
    brulil11.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 149

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes please GET A GOOD VET. one who has recommendations from other bulldog owners. more importantly---{ from bulldog rescue folks like me who see the result from bad food and lack of care, we know what they need to stay healthy} bulldogs are a world of difference than other breeds. and most vets think that a pit bull is a bulldog.---so get names and get a hold of the folks to see just how knowledgeable the vet is. everything from the heart ,to x-rays are opposite. and you must feed the top three foods on the market if you wish to not have chronic, and life long health issues with a bulldog. and to stay out of the vets office. top 3 , are Fromm, Natures Logic, natures variety , merrick. { no soy, no corn,} {those 4 wont have anything bad in them. ever!!!}

Attachments

• zoey 017.jpg
    zoey 017.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 142

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
OMG-- get a good bulldog vet. they most certainly do not pee out the good stuff. like I said in my last reply, you get what you feed.and if you clean faces and bottoms daily , you do not get yeast , mix 50/50 % vinegar/water and twice a week, wash ears, feet, faces,and tail areas. you will never get a yeast infection again. get fromm, food, or Natures Logic, Natures variety , and Merrick. in that order. they will never be bad for your dog.I have been rescuing bulldogs for 10 yrs now and anything I can help you with . just let me know. there are a few bulldogs that have done OK with other foods, but the vast majority, do not. over a long period of time. switch flavors but within the same brand.

Attachments

• winston.jpg
    winston.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 148
  • winston.jpg
    winston.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 144
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 163
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg