What do you feed your Bulldog ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I use eagle pack hollistic chicken for my bully and it works for us great. We had gone through quite a few of the other good brands and for some reason they didnt agree with him allergy-wise. It is funny how they are so sensitive to different things and then my pug could eat anything and have no reaction whatsoever. I do want to add that the eagle pack gives my boy a nice firm stool which is something else we have had a big problem with also.

Loo-e

Mar 27, 2010
sahuarita, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Low Low
Thank you for the info Linda. I had another question, is it really necessary to give supplements at a young age? I see the NuVet supplement mentioned alot. What is your take on that? Can it harm their liver? Sorry I know its a little off topic. Thx

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 7,831
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 530
Mar 28, 2010
I live in North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Jackson,Spike,Bella and Mack
I have a few questions about dog food. I am feeding one of mine California natural Herring, and the others are on Wellness Simple solutions. The one that is on C N is on this because it makes him produce more stool, which helps to relieve his anal glands, which become infected. The others are doing ok on the wellness. What brands do you feed yours? I also try and stay away from corn, wheat,soy. Also I have found that mine are very sensitive to lamb, my daughter doesn't understand this she says how can they all be allergic to the same protein?

tillies my girl

Apr 6, 2010
tampa fl.
Bulldog(s) Names
tillie
OK, heres what we do for our girl , she has grain allergies so we feed a natural balance fish and sweet potatoe brand its more costly but its part of the responsibilites of owning a bullie , they are so very different than other breeds , you cant be a typical pet owner with this breed but the rewards are great , i love my girl so much , and shes my manly escape from my wifes yorkie lol. so definately be pickie bout the diet of youre bullie

Attachments

• chanel and brutus.jpg
    chanel and brutus.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 83

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
it sound like you've already gotten a lot of helpful advice.

i'd just like to echo those that say to change vets. your current vet clearly doesn't understand the special needs of english bulldogs and having a vet you can trust to put your eb's health first is vital.

i also wanted to echo that while royal canine may work ok for some eb's, i personally think it's crap. like your eb, my female eb had (and still has) severe allergies. royal canine did nothing but make those worse. there a lot better dog foods out there for eb's. as linda said, pretty much most of the ones that can be bought in petco or petsmart aren't the best. they might be ok for some eb's and might be fine for other breeds, but an eb with clear signs of allergies really needs a GREAT diet. if you have a hollistic pet store, i'd go there. the extra money you spend in dog food will save you money down the road in vet bills and will give your dog a better quality of life.

i've used grain free canidae (which is what adopt-a-bull rescue in florida uses for their eb's), but i've since switched to canine caviar, which is more costly, but is very, very easy for them to digest.

my eb has gone through the allergy testing and is currently on the injections. she's not doing well with them right now, but over time, i'm hopeful she will improve and live a better quality life. if you go that route, i'd do so with a vet that knows more about eb's.

good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_Bub and Darla.jpg
    IMG_Bub and Darla.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 62
  • darla and me 14w.jpg
    darla and me 14w.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Darla 16w.JPG
    Darla 16w.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG darla.jpg
    IMG darla.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 62

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
please-----please get away from the nutro and lamb- it is not a new meat /protien any more. and not only is it important what is in your dogs food-- but how it is made often in cases.
you must give 6 weeks try with a good food. these are tried and true with bulldogs and those of us who rescue them for more than 10 yrs. stop any thing but food for 6 weeks. bath weekly in a mild baby shampoo,{oatmeal or non fragrance is best if possible- the PH balance is just fine.NO ADULT shampoo tho } feed one of these foods.----and an unusuall meat, like venison- fish- duck- {you can try buffalo later} it is like beef, if they are alergic to beef- they may be to buffalo too.} I like salmon to do foe allergies. and no rice, or wheat. corn , these 4 foods do not have those in them anyway.
FROMM, **** NATURES LOGIC**** NATURES VARIETY****MERRICK**** IN THAT ORDER, of quality
no other foods on the market NONE---- will be guaranteed to be good for bulldogs. their needs are SO different in 99% of the cases. so if you dont want to play around go to the good stuff-- give it 6 weeks and you wont know your dog. no other foods for that time. nothing,--- the average vet does not know bulldogs. owners from years of experience do . the vets will keep you coming back for $$$$ and they do not as a rule know about nutrition or dogs, but do get kickbacks from food companies.
anything you wish to know about foods, email me. I am on the list for all pet food items recalled, and ingredients, and where they come from. I also deal with manufactures on a semi weekly basis. I but wholesale as a business . and you may email me direct at [email protected]

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I plead with you to get onto recommended dog food that bullys will tolerate for life. bullies will often do well- to the naked eye for months and sometimes years. but inside things are happening. they start to get itchy paws,or ear , issues, yeast infections, are a result of allergies, not addressed. not to mention patches of skin becoming bare. often these symptoms do not start to show for a long time. but when they do --- they are going to be chronic for life. the damage is done to the system. if you knew what I know about eagle pack dog food. what the meat is and where it comes from. you would not feed it to a living breathing thing. it costs as much as a good bulldog food too. you do not need more than a 1cup and a1/2 of good food a day , broken into 2 meals, it costs less in the long run. and if you feed a good food- there is less left in the yard. they utilize all they need. e-mail me privately. for a list and break down of your food of choice, [email protected]

zoe'sdad

Apr 9, 2010
Zoe has been on California Natural sence she was a few months old.it's was i was told to feed her by the breeder

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
you know - the only dificult thing about breeders is that they do not keep the breeding bitches for more than 6 yrs. to see what the end results are. if they have a dog over 6 who has done well on that -they have a rarity. honest. It is a good brand for some dogs if you do not care what quality of meat goes into your dogs food. and it may say human grad meat, but what ethnicity of human?? I do not eatthe kind of human grade meat that goes into 99% of what they call human grade meat. the only kind that counts is human grade MUSCLE MEAT that is the roasts,steaks,chops, that most of us buy . it is grade A ,- prime cut. there is a difference. I actually know a bulldog who has had nothing but atta boy in her 9 yrs of life,. she has not issues other than a horrible coat, stiff and ruff, to touch. but healthy. that is the only one I have seen . california natural is better than some. it is the middle of the group of what is available out there. But not for bulldogs for the long term.!!! you will get what you fed. and stay out of the vets office, if you follow these 3 things, #1-great food, #2-clean body,{at least every other week bath} and you do not need soap. {earthbath is a great non soap shampoo}bay soap is also fine PH balance OK , daily face and bottom wash. #3-- wash bedding in a non perfumed soap-- NEVER TIDE----
you will stay out of the vets office . unless they have an allergy to growing things, then by washing feet off when they come in,/ and using a coat when going outside during those times of year that cause issues. spring/fall. the breeder just hasn't checked out the ingredients and what country they come from, the chemicals in it, vitimans, and such. I cannot remember what was the issue why I passed on it on my research. but it did not impress me at all. for bulldogs needs. and I know no one who rescues this breed who feeds this either. we have all been rescuing for more than 10 yrs. and breeding in many cases also. not my self. because there are to many to rescue yet. and my breed rescue always take thier dogs back if they have issues. if your breeder is a quality breeder she/he will always take the dog back no questions and will pay for 1/2 any surgery need due to genetic based needs. ask them that and you will get an answer to weather they are a quality breeder or not. IE!!! will they pay 1/2 the 1500 dollars to have a pallet surgery ? or 1/2 the $6000.00 to have a hip or knee done. very few good breeders out there.!!!
I wish you the very best. you have the best breed in the world. and I hope you have them for at least 12 yrs. you can if you give them the very best. if not you will shorten their life by a couple yrs.

sharon white

Apr 14, 2010
Hi - I don't have a bulldog yet, but hope to adopt a rescue and or do foster care. Way back when i was in college I had a fox terrier that developed severe allergies to the point that his skin would actually peel off. The vet had him on prednizone and sulfur baths. After much trial and error I found that he was reacting to any processed or canned meat, even human food. I cooked chicken or horse meat and rice for him and added veggies. This solved the problem and he lived allergy free to the age of 16.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Hi Sharon,
good luck and try a rescue, they are needing a loving home, and by the time you adopt--the foster folks have gotten any issues, solved, and behavior/allergies figured out and gotten the dog on the road to a healthy life. at the rescues expense! rather than yours. and as a foster mom of 10 yrs now. the cost of VETS or flying dogs out of allergy prone states, not to mention months of behavior modification. what we do also is socialize all dogs. to make sure they are never in situations that would rattle them into a fight or flight situation that they weren't mentally able to deal with .
as for the food--- this is why I tell folks that -the human body can cope with all those preservatives a whole lot better with no outward sign of reaction to the chemicals in processing foods , than dogs can !!!
And if we all ate the way dogs should-------fresh meat{quality} if possible anymore!! fruit and veggies, and a bit of complex carbs. we would all be very healthy.
and yes it is not the human food that is bad, for dogs, it is the bad human food that is!!
beef has now got ammonia in all of it to keep it from smelling and turning bad sooner, chicken has got salmonella by the bunches, our fish are farmed and full of PCB. the pork is fed melamine to speed up growth , also I forgot - the chickens are fed arsenic to also stimulate growth , oh yes they did say they would promise to discontinue that , it is so bad that the only way to feed good meat and veggies is to grow it your self!!! sad!! so many of us in rescue are doing just that.
I am glad to hear that you took it into your hands to make the food yourself!! ALWAYS remember to add the vitamins and calcium to the food, I work very closely with my vet {who is a great one} he recommends a liquid children s vitamins{it digests much more readily than a pill, BY 50%} and a powdered bone meal , from the health food store, your vet can work with you on the amount. I was feeding my 50 lbrs 1/2 tsp vitamins a day, but do work with your vet .
and don't forget the 50/50 % water vinegar solution for ears and paws/bottoms to prevent yeast. 2x a week. good food,clean face/bottoms daily , weekly baths with an non soap bath .{earthbath is a great one} they also have orange peel to repel fleas, aloe vera , and oatmeal too, as well as great smells too. I mix several to achieve a great mix. you should stay out of the vets a lot. sometimes I don't go near one for a year or more. if any meds are balanced.

Drummond

Mar 10, 2010
NYC
Ten years ago when I lived in St. Pete, FL the man next door bred English Bulldogs. His dogs looked fantastic and were not soft but muscular and hard. Since I owned dogs at the time, I asked what he fed them. He told me he only feeds his bullies raw beef heart and boiled potatos with some supplements like cold liver oil, kelp, and bone meal. I never tried this diet on my dogs but I can tell you they looked and acted very good. One day, if I get a bulldog I will give it a try. I was that impressed.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
well so am I ---Keep in mind that was a few years back, we have learned a few more things. and sadly some of them aren't good.
if you trust your raw food source 100%, go ahead and feed raw.{they can get e-coli & salmonella as we can} if not ---- don't feed raw!!!!! ( BUT ----don't cook -high temp or a long time)--- WILD CAUGHT salmon oil, (no PCB"S) Grizzly is a good brand.shipped directly to you.-- and fruit and veggies, (except for onions-raisins/grapes) they are very good for them . AND DON'T FORGET the vitamins.-- children's liquid digest 2x as good as pills.(talk to your vet for portions)
he got this right- meat, carbs, use anything but white potatoes, wasted carb, use yams,sweet potatoes, with peels of coarse. way more fiber.!!!!rice only if tummy upset,for digestibility.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
well so am I ---Keep in mind that was a few years back, we have learned a few more things. and sadly some of them aren't good.
if you trust your raw food source 100%, go ahead and feed raw.{they can get e-coli & salmonella as we can} if not ---- don't feed raw!!!!! ( BUT ----don't cook -high temp or a long time)--- WILD CAUGHT salmon oil, (no PCB"S) Grizzly is a good brand.shipped directly to you.-- and fruit and veggies, (except for onions-raisins/grapes) they are very good for them . AND DON'T FORGET the vitamins.-- children's liquid digest 2x as good as pills.(talk to your vet for portions)
he got this right- meat, carbs, use anything but white potatoes, wasted carb, use yams,sweet potatoes, with peels of coarse. way more fiber.!!!!rice only if tummy upset,for digestibility.

Attachments

• 527544_408297955886314_1172664334_n.jpg
    527544_408297955886314_1172664334_n.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 51
  • babby.jpg
    babby.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 545503_408298212552955_1301867902_n.jpg
    545503_408298212552955_1301867902_n.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 55

Champ Waring

Mar 30, 2010
So many of the brands that vets recommend are really not quality foods. And remember, good food also means treats...I know so many that feed an excellent quality food then toss their bullie a milkbone! There's some awesome grain-free treats available now too. I always treat with real fruits and veggies when I can though.
We feed all our rescue dogs Canidae. They have a grain free formula, which is great. Taste of the Wild is also grain free and highly recommended. I have also heard some good things about Blue Buffalo but am not as familiar with it.
Raw diet is truly the best, but it is time consuming and more expensive. I'm in the process of switching Champ to raw diet. He's been on Canidae with real meats, veggies, and fruits as a supplement, but I really think raw is the way to go. I think I'm going to start with Sojo's. I've heard some good things about it, has anyone else? It's easy for "beginners" of the raw diet :) Here's the info on it:
SOJOS COMPLETE DOG FOOD MIX is a wholesome GRAIN-FREE pre-mix that you simply combine with water to create your own fresh, homemade pet food. Made with USDA freeze-dried raw Turkey and other all-natural ingredients:
Ingredients: Sweet Potatoes, USDA Turkey, Whole Eggs, Broccoli, Celery, Apples, Flax Meal, Pecans, Tricalcium Phosphate, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Basil, Dried Alfalfa, Ginger Root, Dried Kelp, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E, Vitamin D2 Supplement
1 lb. of SOJOS COMPLETE makes approximately 6.5 lbs. of fresh, raw dog food. Click here for more info.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 22.0% min., crude fat 8.0% min., crude fiber 5.1% max., moisture 12.3% max.
Calories: per cup = 480.8 Kcals

- :heart: -Champ's Mom

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372557174.577567.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372557174.577567.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.