I would love some advise on food

Sulley

Aug 25, 2011
Hi everyone! I have an almost one year old bulldog named Sulley. When we got him at 5 months we were feeding Purina Pro Plan. I started to notice his wrinkles getting bad, ear infections, paw biting, etc. I found this forum and slowly switched him to Nature's VarietyInstinct Chicken and he got even worse...soft serve stools, red face, red tummy, etc. So I slowly switched him to Nature's Logic Lamb, while his stools are better his face, tummy, paws, and ears are getting worse. I am now thinking it might be the chicken. What do you think? I cannot tell if it's the grain or the poultry. I was thinking of trying Go Natural Salmon next, but that has oatmeal. I want to stay away from poultry and potatoes for him. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
FIRST, :welcome: to EBN! Glad you came to us and joined. We will all be anxious to see pix of your baby bully. :)
Our Princess Gracie, we THINK is allergic to chicken. Unfortunately most all foods have some sort of chicken in them and if they don't they have grains. We finally found Fromm Beef Frittata which is Grain free AND chicken free. It worked wonders for Her Royal Highness ;). Now whether it works for you or not that is another question because they are all different and it may take trying different foods til you hit on the right one for your bully.
Anyway, there is an introduction area here at EBN where you can tell us more about Sulley and family AND post pix... hint hint! :laugh:

Soon2bBullyMom

Aug 21, 2011
Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
There are several grain-free chicken-free foods on the market, but your right most contain potato. Canidae has two foods that might work (PureLand and PureSea). Innova Evo also has a red-meat variety that might work. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain too.

Another option (and might be your best), is to switch to raw. This way you know exactly what he is eating and it makes it very easy to pinpoint allergies. Most people start with chicken, but you could use turkey instead.

Good luck!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
There are several grain-free chicken-free foods on the market, but your right most contain potato. Canidae has two foods that might work (PureLand and PureSea). Innova Evo also has a red-meat variety that might work. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain too.

Another option (and might be your best), is to switch to raw. This way you know exactly what he is eating and it makes it very easy to pinpoint allergies. Most people start with chicken, but you could use turkey instead.

Good luck!

As a raw feeder, I am going to second this. And the interesting thing is that if your dog is allergic to a certain protein in dog food, there is a VERY high probability that they will not be allergic to it raw. Plus the allergy testing for the proteins is not set up to test for allergies to raw. Gator CANNOT handle chicken in dog food...even duck gives him issues, but he eats raw chicken almost every day without a single problem.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was bad with open sores over a year ago, I did a food switch to Nature's Variety Instict Chicken...NO improvement, come to find out he does not tolerate chicken either!! I switched to Nature's Variety Instict Salmon and within 4 weeks, he was a new man!! No sores, no smell and no itching. You might want to watch chicken products. OH and WELCOME to the site!! I learned how to do a food change through this site as I was seeking the same information you are. You MUST get some pictures of Sulley posted as soon as possible!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Dogswell makes a grain free potato free product called nutrisca you may want to try it comes I'm 3 varieties chicken lamb and salmon. It uses peas. also I don't see anything wrong with go natural salmon and oatmeal. Oatmeal is a grain but I believe it has a low glycemic index and is not a common allergen for dogs. I'm going to put Sarah on it. I know its a daunting task to find a food for your dog good luck.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Dogswell makes a grain free potato free product called nutrisca you may want to try it comes I'm 3 varieties chicken lamb and salmon. It uses peas. also I don't see anything wrong with go natural salmon and oatmeal. Oatmeal is a grain but I believe it has a low glycemic index and is not a common allergen for dogs. I'm going to put Sarah on it. I know its a daunting task to find a food for your dog good luck.

I would be interested to hear how this goes! Please keep us posted on Sarah's progress.

OP
S

Sulley

Aug 25, 2011
I just ordered the go natural, so if that does not work I might try the nutrisca salmon. Did you try it?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes sarah is on nutrisca lamb now. ive had more sucess with that than with anything else ive fed her but i didnt leave her on it long enough last time to really see how she would do. (my bostons coats didnt do well on it) but initially she has done well. im going to leave her on it this time to really see how she will do. ive got the go salmon already so im planning on mixing them later on. good luck

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I've been in a simliar situation with my Samson and what has worked best for him is the Natures Variety Instinct salmon. Samson can't have chicken, turkey, grain and just recently had an issue with potatoes. Before he developed an issue with potatoes he did great on Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon. I hope you find whatever works best for Sulley soon! Finding the right food can be such a difficult task! I've tried alot of different foods but those 2 worked the best for Samson.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] i will keep you posted on how it goes. so far so good with the nutrisca. the natural balance lamb and rice seems to be a bust. she developed a rash on her belly and 2 of her cysts started getting red again. i was mixing them and geez i had to pick out all the nb as i didnt want to waste the food. so her rash is almost gone and her paws are drying up again so i will keep you posted on how she is doing.

OP
S

Sulley

Aug 25, 2011
I cannot wait to get the Go Natural Wild Salmon...poor Sulley has bad gas, ear issues, crazy paw licking, and his rust colored stains are getting worst. His new food should be here by early next week. This whole food problem is driving me crazy...I just want Sulley to feel good and be happy. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this food will work. If not I am thinking nutrisca or nvi salmon.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well have you given your bully antihistamines before like benadryl? that can help with the allergy symptoms even after you get the food. most of us give our bullys some type of antihistamine as they tend to have environmental allergies as well. i have sarah on zyrtec now. just a thought even though most of what your describing seems like food issues it may give some relief till food gets here. i hope new food gets here soon. hang in there.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online