Am I feeding my puppy enough?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman is 12 weeks old yesterday and weighs around 14 pounds 5 ounces. He's only put on about 6 ounces since we've had him the past two weeks or so.

He is fed three times a day - a half cup of hard food with a scoop of soft food - but I am starting to wonder if I am feeding him enough?

His activity has increased significantly in the past couple days so I want to be sure he's getting all he needs to get big and strong without overfeeding.

I can't remember ever worrying my first two were enough so this is pretty new for me.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Does he also get treats and snacks?

How much food you give will vary depending upon the brand, the fat and protein content, ect.

There are many variables.

If the food is high in protien/fat (30% in that area), then that is probably enough. If you are feeding a high protein, I would suggest you stop during the growth stage, (which I think is from 13 weeks to one year). Too much protein is hard on the growth of bulldogs. Stick with a food that is around 26% protien and high in fat content.

Lisa does the feeding so I am not sure how much we give.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would not think 1.5 c per day is enough for a growing puppy. I would feed a minimum of 2 c per day (with toppers). As he grows up it to 3 c a day. Mine are on 3 c a day, veggies n treats, & salmon oil. I cannot seem to put weight on them:). And they always want more!! LOL they are 5 months old now.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone!

I have only given him pieces of kibble as treats but perhaps I can start with some carrots to see if he develops a taste for them early. I will try to target around 2-2.5 cups per day but I am feeding him Royal Canin Bulldog, which has that big wave shaped kibble that is impossible to measure correctly because there is so much space between pieces.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah I think that is why their serving suggestions are so high on the bag.

HighDesertBulldogs

Mar 23, 2010
Northern California near the Oregon border
Bulldog(s) Names
Nitro, Sierra & Reina
I have two pups that are going on 12 wks. and I just increased their food up from 1 cup for each pup per feeding to 1 & 1/2 cups each per feeding. They gobbled it down! I feed three times a day. I judge their intake needs on how they eat. If they gobble it up right away and continue to lick the bowl like they want more then I know to increase their food. If they walk away leaving food behind in the bowl often then I know I need to decrease the amount of food a little. I have them on 2/3 adult food and 1/3 puppy food as I am slowly taking them off the higher protein puppy food. I wet their food and add 1/2 tsp. of whole fat plain yogurt per pup into their food. It's very good for them and they love it! :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Excellent advice HighDesertBulldogs, thank you. I agree with stated above 100% ^^^^

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I started feeding him one cup with a scoop of wet puppy food crowned by a bit of plain yogurt. I have seen a difference in energy level AND excitement at meal time already. Of course I had to give Linus a little yogurt too since he felt left out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.