What do you feed your bully??

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Love this question cause it seems that they have food allergies/issues....well we Olaf was eating nutro (breeder feeds her dogs) and was doing okay (noticed lots of tears and Very irritated nose fold) but that he just didn't like it anymore...so switched to bule buffalo and noticed a HUGE skin improvement...no issues and then he stopped liking it and breeder was not happy about the switch so we are back to nutro and tear stains and nasty nose fold again...just wondering what everyone's experiences have been? and what your bully likes? :confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Now this is a good discussion. We feed our dogs Iams with prebiotics, mainly because it is easily accessible. Since we have 4 kids, any less places to stop is always a good thing. People may think Iams is just junk, but I disagree. My dogs "droppings" are nice and solid/smooth, never runny stuff.

We also supplement with NuVet Plus, (see links page here on the forum). This product cannot be bought at the stores, but ever since I started giving it to my dogs I have noticed a large improvement in their overall "glow", less shedding, less tearing. They even smell better for a longer period of time. It gives the dog what is NOT in dog food, and they say there is not a single brand of dog food that can give your dog optimum health and nutrition they need.

Also, a bit of yogurt for a treat. I am going to discuss yogurt in a different thread because I have some useful information about it as well.

Seems like olaf is allergic to an ingredient in Nutro. You should check online and compare the two foods, see what exactly is the difference in ingredients.

Don't forget when switching dog foods you should do it over a period of a week, slowly bringing in the new food. This could also be causing him to get irritated.

If you also want to give him the buffalo brand, but he is not crazy about it, you can always add a couple of Tbsps of ALL NATURAL beef or chicken stock. (make sure there is no onions, the all natural works best becuase there is none in it).

Remember that each dog is different, has different food likings, (I love veggies, my kids don't of course...) lol

You cannot always do exactly what the "Jones's" tell you to do. You will have to experiment and do what is going to work for you and Olaf. :)

Nutromax is pretty good stuff, but when I fed that to my dogs their poo was awful.... :(

But it could just be that my dogs did not work well with one of the ingredients, like I said before.

Last edited:

bulldog diva

Jan 31, 2010
phoenix AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutakiss King
i feed my baby innova i mix dry with a half a can of the adult beef and barley and my baby does really really well on it i also give him vitamin E i just open to capsels on his foog once a day and it has really cut down on the dander and sheading i love it and he does too ! ! ! when iam a little low on money i will give him pedigree with a half a can of their canned food with the vitamin E and he pretty good with it but i still recomend invona if you can afford it but pedigree is a good cheaper way to go and the vitamin E is like 8bucks for 150 capsels the inova dry food cost 41.99 for 30lb bag the canned is 34.99 for a case of 12, 13oz cans,,, pedigree is 21.99(price is at sams club) for a 55lb and the canned is 8.04 for a case of 12, 13oz cans both are good just depends how much you can spend good luck

Attachments

• max 011.jpg
    max 011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 165
OP
bbstubbles

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
So I totally agree with what you said...And funny cause we have done all of that...I have done plenty of research when switching...always have done it slowly and yes I do believe there is something in the nutro that does not agree with him...it is nutromax btw its funny tho cause we have even tried the nutro natural still same problem...so its not corn...so I am not totally sure. I know the food seems to brings out the coat with that said it makes his fold disgusting and he is more on the stinky side lol. Hes nice and shiny and his poo is a fine in texture too. I think he would just like to be a vegitarian tho in all honesty! Yogurt is good and we have also given him pumpkin puree as well =^) Oh ya and we add kelp to his food along with (cant think of the name) another powder for the tears which does help. I also feel everyone will have different opions on what works for their dog and what doesn't. Not only that but what is affordable esp right now with the economy for some. Blue was very expensive and max is about half the price.

D

DesertRoseBulldogs

Try natural balance lamb and rice or sweet potato and venison or costco has a very good quality dog food.... kirkland lamb and rice and $24.00 for a 40lb bag!! NEVER EVER FEED YOUR PET PEDIGREE PLLLLZZZZ- AND ALWAYS PROVIDE YOUR PET WITH NU VET, it's a supplement ordered through us breeder's and it will add year's to the life of your 4 legged child!! and lastly, adding a T of a quality pure olive oil is great, esp during winter months!! good luck!!

OP
bbstubbles

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Ahhh I have heard sooo many good things about nb! I think it is a popular bulldog choice!

Brunos bullies

Feb 3, 2010
Marana AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Cesar and Cleo
We feed Royal Canine for the English Bulldogs. I like that they have the different ones for the different breeds! Make sure whatever you put your dogs on that the main ingredient is not corn. Good luck!!

Attachments

• DSC02869.jpg
    DSC02869.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 150

MaMaJ

Feb 19, 2010
denver CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty, Brandy, Bailey, Tootsie, Gabby the Naughty twins and then Dalton and Temperance.
They actually rate dogfoods with grades.

I feed a few different foods as some of mine have special needs.

I feed the royal canin lab blend as it has higher protien then the bulldog get less calories.
build muscle not fat.

I also like the new Eukanuba and the natures balance.

Attachments

• 9106_10151641561099621_817067538_n.jpg
    9106_10151641561099621_817067538_n.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 371

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
raw meat,raw bones,fish,raw eggs,pupled veg ,porridge,manuka honey daily,bio yoghurt,bananas,cheese the stronger the better:D table scraps but not from the table,she will eat anything put in front of her or that isnt nailed down !!!,karen

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow ... makes you cringe when you look back at some of the answers now doesn't it!!!! And to think that this thread was started just over a year ago too ... how things change - and for the better!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG yes things change!! This was probably one if the first dog food discussions we ever had here :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
And I am totally embarrassed about what I posted back then too!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online