Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 20 of 20

Thread: Kirkland Signature food?

  1. #13
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2311
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    The grain free at Costco was first called Pelican Bay, but last time we went it is now called Nature's Domain. Soooo..... ingredients are so similar. Probably just a name change. I am currently feeding 2 bullies this food, one on Fromm, one on Avoderm, and one on Nature's Logic. Yes, they are spoiled and all get the food that suits them best!

    They all do great on Fromm Beef Fritatta, but each does a bit better on the chosen food.

    There is a bit of tear staining with the Costco food. And Jesse broke out in a weird hair loss thing on it. Molly got incredibly yeasty. So I switched her to NVI and it got worse, so then back to Nature's Logic for her. It is all cleared up now after just a couple weeks. Amazing what dog food can do and how it can react with each bully, so it is trial and error. But when you find the right one, you will KNOW. They look brighter. In the eyes, the coat.... the skin should be natural colored so then their coat is perfect in color. No paw licking, no scratching. When you find the right food, they look perfect.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  2. #14
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    The grain free at Costco was first called Pelican Bay, but last time we went it is now called Nature's Domain. Soooo..... ingredients are so similar. Probably just a name change. I am currently feeding 2 bullies this food, one on Fromm, one on Avoderm, and one on Nature's Logic. Yes, they are spoiled and all get the food that suits them best!

    They all do great on Fromm Beef Fritatta, but each does a bit better on the chosen food.

    There is a bit of tear staining with the Costco food. And Jesse broke out in a weird hair loss thing on it. Molly got incredibly yeasty. So I switched her to NVI and it got worse, so then back to Nature's Logic for her. It is all cleared up now after just a couple weeks. Amazing what dog food can do and how it can react with each bully, so it is trial and error. But when you find the right one, you will KNOW. They look brighter. In the eyes, the coat.... the skin should be natural colored so then their coat is perfect in color. No paw licking, no scratching. When you find the right food, they look perfect.

    And no crappy treats !!!! for instance = pup paroni , beggin strips, etc.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  3. #15
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2311
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    And no crappy treats !!!! for instance = pup paroni , beggin strips, etc.
    Atta girl!!!!

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  4. #16

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Thanks guys for all the advice. I'll admit I'm not happy about it because I like err on the side of caution and spend for quality. We'll try it out and hopefully I'll have some good things to report soon.

  5. #17
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Phx, Az.
    Posts
    732
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Hello,

    Without a doubt.....SWITCH!
    Look at the list of foods located on this site. You do not have to pick the most expensive, but your brand is not even on the list of desired brands.

    The better quality food you feed, the less you will need to feed. This is less to feed, less stool volume, less gas, less medical issues, better health.

    Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
    NOW you KNOW...

    Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

    "Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

  6. #18

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    Hello,

    Without a doubt.....SWITCH!
    Look at the list of foods located on this site. You do not have to pick the most expensive, but your brand is not even on the list of desired brands.

    The better quality food you feed, the less you will need to feed. This is less to feed, less stool volume, less gas, less medical issues, better health.

    Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
    NOW you KNOW...

    Good Day~
    I assume you're talking about the eukanuba?? If you read carefully you'd see that i'm way past the point of wanting to swith...this is more about which food to switch to.

    If i'm misunderstanding your post, please clarify. That's just what i got from it.

  7. #19
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Phx, Az.
    Posts
    732
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Hi AMart79,

    Sorry. I did not properly follow the posts and lost track of who and what.
    I went back and re-read all of the posts again.

    Let me try again.
    I have an opinion. We have 6 Bulldogs: 4 adults (ages 3-5.5) and 2 puppies (5-9 months). All of these EBD have ben raised from puppies. Over the years we have learned about different foods and the different results based upon conditions. Do not let cost alone be the deciding factor. On this website is a comparision list that rates a long list of brands. This list is from personal opinions from thounsands of onwers, so while not scientific, they do have a very close correlation of results.
    Your main concern should be conditions and results. Many Bullies have allergies to a variety of foods and products (plastics, wool, etc). Many are allergic to chicken or grain, but NOT ALL. Just because one brand is highly touted, this is not necessarlliy what YOU should buy or use. Start with any existing conditions and then find out what is causing the adverse conditions (eg. skin, coat, eyes, poo, gas, etc). Once you know what it is that you want to change, then start researching what to change or avoid.
    One major important item that tends to get let out when people are talking about switching food is HOW to chage. Do not just switch cold-turkey. This ALONE will cause consequences not related to the food. Stomach conditions, loose poo, gas, vomit to name a few. The switch should take place over a least a 4-6 day process of cutting down on old food and adding more of new food (90-10, 80-20, 70-30, 60-40, etc).
    There are very good foods and then there are non-very good foods. The EBD has a much more sensative digestive system which is why some manf make a variety that is specific for the bulldog. Euka as well as Royal Cannin and others have special formulas for bullies and other breeds as well.

    The question to ask is what does your dog need. What does your dog need to avoid (grain, chicken, etc). It might take several months or trying different brands to find the right one. Only buy a small bad to try. The other consideration is the price to feed. With a premium feed you will give LESS amout, thus the cost per serving is compariable. Health, coat and poo are also to be considered.

    So now you have even more confusion from me eh?

    Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

    "Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

  8. #20

    Default Re: Kirkland Signature food?

    Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    Hi AMart79,

    Sorry. I did not properly follow the posts and lost track of who and what.
    I went back and re-read all of the posts again.

    Let me try again.
    I have an opinion. We have 6 Bulldogs: 4 adults (ages 3-5.5) and 2 puppies (5-9 months). All of these EBD have ben raised from puppies. Over the years we have learned about different foods and the different results based upon conditions. Do not let cost alone be the deciding factor. On this website is a comparision list that rates a long list of brands. This list is from personal opinions from thounsands of onwers, so while not scientific, they do have a very close correlation of results.
    Your main concern should be conditions and results. Many Bullies have allergies to a variety of foods and products (plastics, wool, etc). Many are allergic to chicken or grain, but NOT ALL. Just because one brand is highly touted, this is not necessarlliy what YOU should buy or use. Start with any existing conditions and then find out what is causing the adverse conditions (eg. skin, coat, eyes, poo, gas, etc). Once you know what it is that you want to change, then start researching what to change or avoid.
    One major important item that tends to get let out when people are talking about switching food is HOW to chage. Do not just switch cold-turkey. This ALONE will cause consequences not related to the food. Stomach conditions, loose poo, gas, vomit to name a few. The switch should take place over a least a 4-6 day process of cutting down on old food and adding more of new food (90-10, 80-20, 70-30, 60-40, etc).
    There are very good foods and then there are non-very good foods. The EBD has a much more sensative digestive system which is why some manf make a variety that is specific for the bulldog. Euka as well as Royal Cannin and others have special formulas for bullies and other breeds as well.

    The question to ask is what does your dog need. What does your dog need to avoid (grain, chicken, etc). It might take several months or trying different brands to find the right one. Only buy a small bad to try. The other consideration is the price to feed. With a premium feed you will give LESS amout, thus the cost per serving is compariable. Health, coat and poo are also to be considered.

    So now you have even more confusion from me eh?

    Good Day~
    not at all. This is really helpful, thank you. I guess you're right i never really considered that its not just one quick change and he's good to go, it could be several changes over a few months. I'll definitely keep this in mind and hopefully everything goes smoothly. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •