from beef frittata causing excess shedding?

mookie831

May 13, 2011
So I switched porkchops food from blue wilderness puppy because it made him smell really bad and his stool was runny. He has now been on fromm beef fritatta for about a month. He doesn't smell as bad anymore and his stools are consistently solid, but...he is getting really dry flaking skin and shedding like nobodys bussiness! His coat looks horrible ever since I am hanged to fromm. I don't know what to do? I've heard so many good things on fromm...it took away his bad smell and loose stools, but Idon't paying for it in his coat! He is 5 months old.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We feed HRH Fromm beef Frittata and add a heaping tablespoon of yogurt for her morning meal and give her fish oil supplement although she never has had issues with dry skin. She does shed but it's worse some times than others. A good brushing daily will do wonders to reduce shedding. We also use Selsen blue dandruff shampoo followed by Oster Oatmeal shampoo (touted to reduce shedding) on her and her coat is soft and shiny. Many here feed Salmon oil to help with coat and shedding but we didn't like the smell and Gracie seemed itchy and developed a rash. We stopped feeding it too soon though to really be able to say it was the salmon oil, or a new treat tried and stopped at the same time that caused the rash. since we didn't like the smell we just didn't bother to try it alone.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The shedding could be seasonal maybe? Salmon oil does make a huge diff in shedding. My boys always shed but when Mugsy wasnt eating the salmon oil because he didnt care for it much I could see the diff in the 2, Cutty wasnt shedding nearly as much as Mugsy., So now they both get the oil on their food and they both still shed but at least i know it is helping. Their skin is never dry tho so maybe that will help.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would watch the shedding and dry skin. if it keeps up you may have to look at the food. i have had a food clear up some of sarahs problems but give her some others. i had to take my cat off of a good food due to extremely excessive shedding that lasted almost 2 months till i took him off the food and now his coat is coming back. he had no other allergy symtoms at all. i do love the salmon oil i give sarah. it has helped her alot so i recommend it but not all bullys do well on it. not all foods are right for all bullys. you can always slowly take him off the food and see if his coat comes back then you know its the food and not something else. good luck let us know how it goes.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tidus had a dry flaky coat until I started using Selson blue, and salmon or fish oil.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
i switched butler to FBF and he has been shedding VERY bad since then, along with major tummy issues. I just switched him back to Fromm Pork and Applesauce, his poops are regulating and i'm hoping his shedding will also. I use the same shampoo as HRH, the Oster Oatmeal Naturals shed control. It smells amazing. Also use a zoom groom in the bath to help pull out loose hair. It could just be seasonal. It's hard to tell sometimes :/

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well excess shedding can be due to allergic reaction to food,annie WAS itch free for 2 weeks ,2 days ago i gave her 2 egg yolks and guess what itching is back paws red and her shedding is off the scale again,so keep an eye out for itching ,could well be food,karen

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
@mookie831 I switched Arwen from Canidae to Fromm Beef and it really helped with everything (weight gain, stool firming, almost no odor from stool or her), except her coat started getting dry/course and there was some minor shedding. I did a 10 day food conversion, and she has been on 100% Fromm for 3 days now.

I just started adding Salmon oil to her food today to help with her coat, and have ordered some supplements: Nuvet Plus Canine. This is what Arwen was given while still with the breeder, so i am going to continue it. My local specialty food store owners looked it over and they really like the ingredients and may actually look into if they can carry it stock in their store.

The Nuvet website also has some interesting shampoos I am thinking about trying out. I'll keep an eye on her coat and update any changes I notice. :D

Good luck with Porkchops!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I can say that I just put mine on Salmon oil about a month ago. I did it because of the food switch and I can tell ya, that stuff REALLY cut down on the skin flaking that Lucy had. Big time.

OP
mookie831

mookie831

May 13, 2011
Ok so I have porkchop on salmon oil and it worked wonders on his dry flaky skin. He is still shedding, I totally overlooked something before I made this post...I gave him frontline topical flea and tick medicine. I am really wondering if it is frontline that is giving him this reaction?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The frontline may be it. Is there a tick and flea problem in your area? If not, then I think you're safe not giving porkchop the meds. I try not to over medicate Stig unless there's a real issue in the environment.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online