grain to grain-free reaction

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Its been only 2 weeks since reilly has been on a grain-free formula. He is having a reaction (really red face after eating, red/raw between his toes, etc.) has anyone ever experienced this from switching to grain to grain-free? at this rate I think my bully does BETTER with grains. or should I stick it out and see if he will get over the reactions? He is on DVP Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Before that he was on avoderm lamb and rice (he was still red, just a little less red) he goes to a dog derm and they told me to do trial diets with him to see what will work. He has been allergy tested for outdoor allergies but cannot determine food allergies from test. Please any help would be amazing, I am struggling over here and my bully is suffering! Any food recs that I should try? There is a retailer that sells fromm 2 miles from my house. do you think I should give it a try?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Could be either the duck OR the potato. I would lean more to the duck. Poultry, especially chicken, seems to be a pretty common issue for bullies. I would get onto the beef frittata and see how that goes. It is grain free AND no poultry. Good luck and I hope he feels better!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]. If you can get Fromm easily and they have the beef fritatta..I'd try that first. This food stuff is tough..but you'll find the right one!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree could be the duck. As for being pink with lamb, it makes my boy pink like crazy also. Have heard this is also kinda common with lamb so I avoid it. Welcome to the challenge of owning a bully. Finding the food that works just right is almost impossible sometimes.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i cant really add anything to what [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] said. its all trial and error. good luck

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I agree. good advice [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION].

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I dont' know really, my VET indicated Max didn't have any food allergies because he would be PAW LICKING non-stop if he did. He said the classic sign of food-allergies is paw-licking so I always watch to see if
he does that, and so far, he doesn't. So I'm comfortable with him being on a Grain-Free Diet of TOTW, WELLNESS and NATURE'S VARIETY INSTINCT.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maximus are you feeding all three foods at the same time?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I dont' know really, my VET indicated Max didn't have any food allergies because he would be PAW LICKING non-stop if he did. He said the classic sign of food-allergies is paw-licking so I always watch to see ifhe does that, and so far, he doesn't. So I'm comfortable with him being on a Grain-Free Diet of TOTW, WELLNESS and NATURE'S VARIETY INSTINCT.
I'm pretty sure there are many more signs of allergies than paw licking. I would start there with my research and see if any of his problems are allergy indicative?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
There are lots and lots of signs of food allergy. Watery, goopy eyes, yeast or rusty wrinkles/rope, skin bumps or rashes, interdigital cysts, paw chewing, scratching with no fleas, runny nose, vomiting....the list goes on and on!

BUT lots of those things can be something besides allergy issues and some of them are signs of allergies, but not food allergies. You have to be a :detective: to figure these guys out! lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There are lots and lots of signs of food allergy. Watery, goopy eyes, yeast or rusty wrinkles/rope, skin bumps or rashes, interdigital cysts, paw chewing, scratching with no fleas, runny nose, vomiting....the list goes on and on!

BUT lots of those things can be something besides allergy issues and some of them are signs of allergies, but not food allergies. You have to be a :detective: to figure these guys out! lol

You forgot diarrhea... ;)

And your bully can show one symptom, three, five.... Yes paw licking is one symptom but tidus has never EVER licked his PAWS. He rarely even itches. But his eyes and his hot spot made me realize he is sensitive to chicken. His flaky skin was never food, it was shampoo.

I would never disregard food as being part of any issue now. Remember, the better the FOOD digests and agrees with your bully, the more of an immune boost they will get. High immune system= less allergies.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
As mentioned above, it may be another ingredient in the food, rather than it being grain free. G'luck in your search, I know how frustrating it can be.

Most Reactions