Taste of the Wild input wanted

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Good afternoon! I'm researching grain free kibbles because unfortunately I think that Tuffys skin breakouts are food related. He responds to antibiotics but a few weeks after he's off of them the same problem occurs. After trying a bunch of high end foods with awful poop results, I resorted to Purina One Lamb and rice. His poop is good on it but I think the corn filler has not done his face any favors. His chin and muzzle are red, blotchy and he gets bad acne. So now I'm going to try grain free to see if that makes a difference. I know that Taste of the Wild is a high rated food so I'd love to hear from those of you who use it to get some feedback. Particularly if anyone had a dog with skin issues that was helped by this food. There are so many formulas of this food that it's a little daunting so I'd love to hear about what formula worked best. I'm leaning toward the Pacific Stream but am open to other formulas as well.

Thanks!

Thanks!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Totw is a great food so I would for sure give it a try. The opacific stream forumla gave Cutty acid reflux and he kept spitting up his food, not throwing up, but like it would just come back up randlomly. We went with the chicken I think and he did well on it until he started with a seasonal allergy we know now but at the time thought it was the food so we switched to a diff brand. Turns out he gets itchy this time of year and a little benedryl helps with that and once it passes he is good to go. Oh and totw gives great firm stools also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Right now we have all of our dogs on 1/2 TOTW Pacific Stream and 1/2 Avoderm Lamb and Rice. They are all doing so much better on it.

The only reason I have thme on 1/2 TOTW and 1/2 Avoderm was because I ran out of food and needed something ASAP, and TOTW was the only good brand at the feed store that day.

I will probably just put them on Avoderm 100%, but I am going to also try Fromm before I make my final decision. Their poops are all good and solid with what I am giving.

You could also put salmon oil on their food, it is sooooo good for their skin and coat. Makes a huge difference.

It may take a year before you find the perfect food. I have been switching since March.

Check out this thread to find out what I did when I ran out of food, and how I found an easy way to make the switch without upsetting tummys and giving creamy-poos!!!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...824-The-big-OOOOPs!!!!-o_O-A-sticky-situation....

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the feedback! And I'll definitely check out your thread about transitioning! It's so hard to know whether it's a seasonal thing or the food. I've tried transitioning about a month ago from Purina to Natural Balance LID but the poops were so yucky that I went back to Purina midway through the transition. I just want a food that gives him good poop and relatively clear skin...so the quest continues!!

Glad to hear you both found the right kibble for your bullies.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I really like TOTW. My two dogs have been on it for about two months and are doing very well on it. Sadie no longer has room clearing gas. You have no idea the relief in that alone. She usually leaves two "leavings" a day and they are firm and easy to pick up. I recently switched a friends dog to TOTW high prarie and we joked that when she arrived here her leavings were very large (larger than Jays, who has at least 25lbs on the dog) and not only bright yellow were very squishy but after a week on the food you could hit a target with a chunk lol.

When we first got Sadie the underside and in between her toes was quite pink and its normal looking now. Her coat was very coarse when she arrived and is getting softer and fuller over time.

She still has a bit of tear staining that needs to be cleaned up, but it has lightened up considerably.

The formula I use is the high prairie bison and venison. I don't feed just kibble though. Most meals (two per day) include some "extra" like canned dog food, steamed veggies, meats cooked just for them etc.

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
Halo had some food allergies so we have tried many foods She did good for a while on TOTW her poops were solid small and no gas but about 2 bags in I noticed her gaining some weight and her coat was a little dry then her hair started thinning out on her sides, we had just done a thyroid test and everthing was fine so we decided to try another food and settled on Instinct its grain free and its guaranteed to improve their coat. We started with the Rabbit formula and her coat started to improve within a week but the rabbit formula was a little too rich so we switched to the turkey and duck and she is doing great! here is a link to an instinct coupon

I would say that TOTW is worth a shot :)

Good luck

BullieMom

Jul 21, 2010
I have 2 Bullies, a Boston, and a mini-weenie all on TOTW and they all do very will with it. They have the least gas on this brand than the others we've tried. I think we've tried each of the formulas and I didn't notice a difference in them, so I can't recommend one over the other. My white bullie still has tear stains, but that may be due to seasonal allergies. When she was a pup (she's almost 3) she was getting horrible cysts on her back that were fluid filled, but she rarely gets them now. I've had her on wheat, corn, and soy free food ever since. (My Boston gets rashes from soy and it gives them all really bad gas).

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
After much researching on here ...... and a LOT of help from [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] ..... we have decided to try the switch to FROMM chicken, and are going to get the Grizzlypetproducts salmon oil to add to Maggie's food. We've had problems before when we've switched her food, so we are going to switch it by 1/8th of a cup at each meal, every 3 days until we get her fully switched over to the FROMM.

Not sure this helps as you had asked about TOTW, but I came to the decision to choose FROMM because of the many good comments it had on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I've fed TOTW in the past, the store I was buying it from regularly from stopped carrying it so I went back to Wolf King. I liked it, my dogs seemed happy with it I recommend it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online