Apple Trees ...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I love our new house, and I also love our new garden (backyard as you call it over here). It has two apple trees side by side in it. Well ALL the dogs are just loving the apples that fall. I hardly ever have to pick up a fallen apple right now!! Poops are all solid and fine ...........

So unless somebody informs me otherwise, I have my own outside, natural supplement supply!!! :up:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
YOU GO GIRL!!! My dogs ..not bullies..always loved the fruit from our trees..ESPECIALLY avocados and oranges! Never had apples..but sounds yummy..want to trade? A bushel of avocados for a bushel of apples? Your new place sounds wonderful! Congrats to ALL of you!!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] Absolutely ... I'll trade you one apple tree for one avocado

I believe truthfuly that I may be able to live my entire life on avocados cos I love them so much!!! :blush2:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How neat, I am tempted to plant some kind of apple tree myself here but never found one at home depot when I thought to look. How exciting!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] you could send some my way. Sierra LOVES them so much that she asks for them every time we walk by them at the store. Still trying to get Paigey on them, no luck yet. I do have a baby tree that I started from a seed last summer or the year before, cant remember. Anyhow I just planted it in the ground so I am hoping our winter doesnt kill it off. Someday in maybe 10 years it will produce perhaps. lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:laugh: [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] well I can box you up a box..between us and my daughters house..tons are thrown away! My daughter has 14 very productive trees! Usually harvest in December! Let me know![MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] you are much closer!! Same offer to you! The lady behind me has 2 acres and tons of fruit and avocado trees! Really this whole area has an abundance..during certain times of the year you can drive on a certain street and people have tables out with an "honor system" for avocados..like 12 for $1.. Kids sell them along with lemonade! And I don't like them! Typical....now if only I had a chocolate tree....sigh!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Just be sure they don't eat too many! There is something toxic in apple seeds. Not the apple itself, but the seeds. Gracie LOVES apple. We give her pieces when we have them. But they are always cored and cut up.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I wonder if avocado trees would grow in Ohio ..... hmmmm ....... :unsure:

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know that!!! Thanks [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]!!!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Only in a pot in a sunny spot indoors. Winter would kill it. They're semi tropical.

Maybe I'll give it a try ... :up:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I have a small one growing in my living room. I have been a bit lax on watering and it has trouble keeping leaves. But the "trunk" is still green so I haven't killed it yet. First get the pits to sprout in water. (use toothpicks to suspend them in a jar) Then you plant in soil.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
12 for a buck?????

IN SEASON we pay about 2 bucks EACH!! DOH!!

ps: I'd love to have a good guacamole recipe if someone has one. :D

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:laugh: @kazzy220 well I can box you up a box..between us and my daughters house..tons are thrown away! My daughter has 14 very productive trees! Usually harvest in December! Let me know!@cali~jenn you are much closer!! Same offer to you! The lady behind me has 2 acres and tons of fruit and avocado trees! Really this whole area has an abundance..during certain times of the year you can drive on a certain street and people have tables out with an "honor system" for avocados..like 12 for $1.. Kids sell them along with lemonade! And I don't like them! Typical....now if only I had a chocolate tree....sigh!

dang woman, I pay $2 for 1 avocado half the time they're hard as a rock, the other half they are all mush. heavy sigh

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] $2 a piece in season? Guess there is something great about living here, although I dont get them free either. (need to go visit [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]!) I think on sale they go for about a dollar here thankfully. As for a recipe I DO have the best one ever, that I have ever made anyhow. Will have to dig it up and share on tastetestedrecipes. :)
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] you can grow them indoors BUT you will never get fruit off them indoors. They have to be pollinated by bees and other avocado trees so even if you got it to grow outside the odds of having other trees around to help pollinate are slim to none. Sorry if I just ruined your party with that but better than growing this dang thing for years and never knowing. I am hoping mine gets good and pollinated here but who knows? My town has a TON of citrus and so do I, but not sure about avocados.
In case nobody has ever tried, they last a LOOOONNNNG time in the fridge. I never knew and then one day tried keeping them in there. Dont know why I never thought of it before. I leave them to get as ripe as I like on the counter (I prefer them on the hard side) then in the fridge they can last a good couple weeks if not more. Thankfully cuz they are so expensive!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] ...... Yeah, avacados and artichokes. Best reason to move to earthquake haven... :rofl:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.