JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We finally have transitioned all three dogs (the old one Ace and the pups) to Blue Buffalo about 2 months ago, give or take a week. Overall it's been good but Wilson and Jack's stools are a bit soft. Wilson's always been a bit soft, except for when we first got him and he was in Science Diet, his stools were nice and solid then. But now we're thinking that it's time to go to a higher protein, BB is only 22% and they're on the Basics Adult Salmon and Potato. They've done a couple of other others too but can't recall which one it was. Wilson's tear stains have just recently cleared up though so I'll keep an eye on that with the new food. My only concern is the higher protein % in the other foods - Blue Wildnerness is 34% and that's what we're more than likely going to try. I thought about Fromm and we also looked at a few others online last night. Right now it's BW.

Jack (the one that had HOD recently) has been the clear to go higher protein now and I really think he needs it due to his breed. I'll monitor all three closely during the switch.

Guess I'm just looking for thoughts on protein % for Wilson. He's fairly active. I won't be able to check back here until later (going to go get an early morning massage :tease: and then my hair cut and then it's off to Petsmart).

Thanks for all suggestions. I read about every post there last night, lol. I'm nutritioned out right now. :D

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I feel your pain! I hate changing food! I'm sure you'll do terrific! You are very prepared...but I don't know why you stress over "turd burglar" and his food..he..after all..can eat ANYTHING!!! :laugh:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Good luck with the food change! But watch out, new food may make it even MORE appealing to eat the poop! heehee

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had the same concerns as you with the protein content of grain free foods. There are a few fish based ones that are lower in protein - like 28% - but I feed both Linus and Truman (5.5 and 1 years old, respectively) Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb, which is 37% protein, and I've experienced no ill effects or weight gain in either dog. I would see how their stools do after they've been on the food for a bit. It didn't happen right away but Linus and Truman both have VERY little waste from the higher quality food and their stools tend to be very small and firm - and almost no smell, compared to stools from other dog foods!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JAKEISGREAT and @GatorRay , You two are funny! :tease:

[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], thanks for your experience with the higher protein. Nature's Variety Instinct is on our list. We saw 5 & 6 star food last night when checking stuff out that were 27 to 42% protein and figured that that high of a protein is what's needed for extremely active dogs, working dogs, etc. I'm not too educated yet on protein and never really gave it much thought until Jack got HOD and protein is the only link in dog food and rapid bone growth. I got Blue Wilderness so we'll see how that goes over the next 4-6 weeks. :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I had the same concerns as you with the protein content of grain free foods. There are a few fish based ones that are lower in protein - like 28% - but I feed both Linus and Truman (5.5 and 1 years old, respectively) Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb, which is 37% protein, and I've experienced no ill effects or weight gain in either dog. I would see how their stools do after they've been on the food for a bit. It didn't happen right away but Linus and Truman both have VERY little waste from the higher quality food and their stools tend to be very small and firm - and almost no smell, compared to stools from other dog foods!

TOTW Sierra Mountain formula is GRAIN-FREE and is only 25% protein. 37% protein is kinda high for Bulldogs.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], forget the food, how was the massage???!!! I'm so jealous...i want one too!!!! :shout:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
TOTW Sierra Mountain formula is GRAIN-FREE and is only 25% protein. 37% protein is kinda high for Bulldogs.

[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] - I originally tried TOTW but because one of the main ingredients is sweet potatoes, it caused major yeast problems on Linus' ears and face. So when we switched to a grain, potato, and gluten free diet, we started feeding a bit less too. Less input, less output, healthy, infection free dogs = win! :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Protein is the building block - the lego pieces - of the body. Our bodies take protein and break it down into amino acids that are used to build muscles, etc.

So, what I learned about protein and dogs is that - regular adult dogs need a minimum of 18% protein from their total food intake. Sporting dogs need 25%, puppies and nursing dogs need 28%, and racing dogs need 35%. But, all dog foods are required to print the protein content on the bag, not the digestable protein. I mean - my shoes are made of leather which is very high in protein but my dog wouldn't be able to digest that protein if she eats it... make sense? Unfortunately, digestability of the protein is not listed on the bag. But, premium dog food gain their "premium" status by using good quality protein source. This would equate to 70-80% of digestable protein. The rest turns to poop. The lower the quality of the dog food, the more questionable the digestability of the protein it contains - that's why we try to avoid corn as the main protein booster in dog food. Not all proteins are the same - some protein sources are easily broken down by the body into amino acids others are not. Egg is the best - 100% of its protein digestable, corn is about 45%.

So, if we take Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck/Salmon (which I use), it contains 34% protein. At least 70% of that is digestable, so my dog is getting 25% protein from his meal. So, my bichon frise - quite an active dog - is getting the protein he needs at the minimum.

Now, I feed the same thing to my bulldog - one lazy slug. So, one might think, that's way too much protein for a lazy bumm. Yes and no. Bullie will be fine with lesser protein, but the extra protein is not going to hurt her. Any extra protein that the body doesn't need is going to either be pee'd out or turned into fat. Bullie is exhibiting good muscle tone. She's 60lbs so she could be on the fat range. So, what I'm doing is using the low end of the feeding quantity guideline to feed her, and increasing her activity level (we adopted her from a woman who has MS, so she wasn't exercised much). And, she gets plenty of water and ice cubes to help her pee out the excess protein if necessary.

Now, if your dog has kidney problems, then he should be on a low-protein diet.

With this feeding routine, I didn't have to get Bullie her own dog food different from Gizmo's and everybody is happy. Okay, so I only have the bulldog for 3 weeks... so the jury is still out.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess , thank you VERY much for that understandable explanation on protein. I was actually able to, well, understand it now. That would explain why dogs poop more on lower quality food then.

Thanks everyone. :)

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos poops huge piles too! and about 4 to 6 times a day...even of Fromm. Just changed him to salmon about 3 weeks ago and his poops are still soft serve....yuck! I sure hope they firm back up. They were nice and solid on the fromm puppy

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.