Making a food switch today

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Okay...Jake gets a high quality food and he :poo: huge amounts and 3 or 4 or 6 times a day!!!! Guess there's always an exception....sigh

Chaos poops huge piles too! and about 4 to 6 times a day...even of Fromm. Just changed him to salmon about 3 weeks ago and his poops are still soft serve....yuck! I sure hope they firm back up. They were nice and solid on the fromm puppy

Oh yeah, each dog is unique, just like each person is unique. Like, I can pretty much eat anything while my sister will get very sick on certain foods. A marine gets trained to have an iron-clad stomach... that kind of stuff.

So, the scientific stuff applies in general, but then you have to add your specific dog's sensitivies and digestive make-up. Most healthy dogs have efficient digestive systems. Some dogs aren't as efficient at breaking down foods - especially the ones that are still maturing or those who are being switched to different foods (the body gets a routine on what food make-up to expect, a new food kinda makes the body say, "uh, wait a minute... I'm not used to this one")... and that's just ok. A lot of times, you will find that some dogs are more efficient at digesting a certain brand of food than another (different balance) and it can be a pain in the neck to figure out which one matches your dog.

Now, I've never really had to do this. I've always just picked a brand and keep the dog on it. I'm very brand loyal... yes, that can be bad too. But, in all my years of owning dogs, I've never really had problems in that area. But then, I've never had a bulldog before, so I'm in new territory here which makes me second-guess everything I've learned...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My three only poop once a day. Sometimes twice if I add too much fat to their meal :). LOVE IT!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My bichon and bulldog only poops once a day too.

I've had the bichon for 3 years before we got the bulldog, so it was kind of a crazy thing to get used to the big poop again... I mean, the bichon's poop is the size of my finger!

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Yup! Went from 4 times or so a day on kibble to one little poop a day on raw.

Thats what happened with my previous dog too!!! The poop downsized by 80%, firm and thin and only once a day...thats when I fed him raw food. I am considering the same for my bully soon too....it does get expensive though :-(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.