Feeding Amount Guidelines on bags?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Penny is 5.5 months old & is on Fromm puppy.

I just dumped the bag into a container and was looking at the feeding guidelines.

It said for 5-7 months feed 2 - 2 & 1/3 cups per day for a medium dog. I have seen some people mention they feed large breed food?

She was 28.7lbs when I took her to the vet this morning.

Her weight gain is slowing down a little (she was gaining 3lbs a week at one point!) which I expect to happen. I am feeding her 2 cups a day. She always acts like she is starving...I was thinking I could up it a little.

How much is she is really hungry vs. just being a food loving bully? She gets treats throughout the day since we are working on obedience training & doesn't like thin by any means. I just want to make sure I'm feeding her enough to grow.

Do you follow the bag guidelines? Should I give her a little extra? I think I'll ask the vet when I pick her up this afternoon.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'd follow the feeding guidelines on the bag. From all the reviews I saw on Fromm, it seems like dogs just inhale that stuff. Some guy on EBN, I can't remember who, even says something about Fromm being like crack. LOL.

I don't think I'd give large breed dog food to a bulldog though. Bulldogs usually average around 50 lbs. Large breed formula is usually designed for dog breeds over 50 lbs.

But, I'm no expert. It's just what I'd do for my dogs.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Personally I would just stick with the 2 cups you've been giving. Every bully "is starving" LOL Both of my pups lick the bowl when they are done like they haven't had enough and trust me, they aren't anywhere close to underfed!

I'm not sure why anyone feeds a bully a large breed food, they are considered to be a medium breed. But that is just my opinion.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
In my opinion, I think that is enough. Vegas gets 2 cups a day and acts like he has not ate for 3 days he actually sits at his bowl and cries when I am giving him fresh water and it is dinner time for his food. You can also give her frozen green beans to help to fill her up, they (I THINK) are low in calories and no sugar. Vegas gets a bedtime snack every night of fruit, veggies or yogurt. During the day when I am off I will give him a few extra treats of fruit or veggies.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Ok, I now don't feel bad because she acts like she's still hungry.

The one time she was relentless with her bowl, I looked at the guidelines & we hadn't upped her food for her weight/age and we were supposed to be feeding her like a cup more. I DID feel terrible then!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
Like others have said, most all Bullies always seem hungry. Which is why a Bullie should NEVER be FREE FED. Now, about the food. I also read that you are closly watching the weight, very good. The guidelines on the bag are just that: GUIDLINES. Personally I do feed more when they are growing up to the 6 month mark, then start to taper back. I also include carrots (some, they have sugar) and frozen green beans.

Good Day~

Members online

No members online now.