Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal Pocket??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anal Pocket??

Hey Guys!Ever since I met an unfortunate bulldog at Petsmart who's owner was telling me about problems with an "anal pocket", I've been super paranoid that Kramer will have it :-( Apparently, it results from a certain tail type, and has to be constantly wiped and dry or else it develops yeast infections. Anyone ever experience this? Is it as constant of a problem as this lady made it seem?

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anal Pocket??

Not every bully has a tail pocket. Some do, some don't. If you feel behind Kramer's tail, above the, um, anus , there is a spot at the base of the tail that, for some, is a "pocket". Gator has a little one and Gypsy's is a *little* bigger but we don't have to do anything special.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Winchester
    Likes (Received)

My dog Winchester has one. I clean it every day with a baby wipe. Not that big of a deal if you keep it clean.

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punkie Brewster
    Likes (Received)

My Punkie Brewster has a VERY deep tail pocket with a corkscrew tail inside the pocket. As long as it's kept clean and as dry as possible, no problem. Punkie's bothers her from time-to-time and I so wish she had a "normal" tail...not because I mind keeping it clean but it would make her life better. In this heat, it is more of a problem. She has only had an infected tail pocket once in three years. I flush her's every single day with DermaPet Mal-A-Ket Plus and follow up by completely drying it. Some Bullies with Punkie's "problem" end up having their tails amputated but it is a very serious surgery because their tail is an extension of the spinal column. Punkie is my baby and I would do anything I had to make her life the best it can be!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
    Likes (Received)

My Butter Cup has a small one as well. But have had no trouble keeping it clean. @Donna LeBlanc I have always heard it is a serious surgery, but my vet acts like there is nothing to it. We had Lacey's tail removed awhile ago. It cost me $150.00 and there was no problems..... I talked to several other bulldog owners that had it done and it cost them almost $1000.00! How can vets be so different?
    Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldog puppies!!
    BJ's Farm

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punkie Brewster
    Likes (Received)

I have discussed having Punkie's tail amputated. Our vet told me it is serious surgery and that scared me. He also told me that he wouldn't do the surgery because there could be severe complications...which scared me even more. I just keep her's as clean and dry as possible...I couldn't handle it if she had complications from surgery. My vet told me the cost is anywhere from $500 to $1500 for tail amputation. @bjsfarm Where did you have Lacey's tail amputated?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Hi! I don't think we've met! How exciting..a new pup..I thought ALL bullies had pockets! jakes isn't so huge either..we clean everyday and no issues!

Feed Store Operator Angievelvet's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mrs. Angela Hernandez
    Bulldog(s) Names
    violet elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Hi! I don't think we've met! How exciting..a new pup..I thought ALL bullies had pockets! jakes isn't so huge either..we clean everyday and no issues!
    I dont think violet had on since her dumb breeder docked her tale she has a nub

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

annie has a longish tail something breeders here in the uk are trying to breed into the breed ,kc standards have changed over here,so no tail pocket,i have had bullys in the past with screw tails and tail pockets though ,if cleaned daily and dried properly after cleaning then there shouldnt be a problem,only have the tail amputated if its causing real problems,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
    Likes (Received)

@Donne Leblanc Conestoga Animal Hospital in Martindale PA. They are old timer vets (don't tell them I told you that) the 2 main vets are both in their 70s and they do so awesome as so many things. Cheap too They are NOT good in cosmetic surgeries tho.... something that takes precise work. Cherry eyes ~ Entropian ~ etc.
    Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldog puppies!!
    BJ's Farm

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Yep, Maximus has a tight tail pocket that has to be cleaned weekly. The VET gave me a gallon container of Chlorhexidine solution to use to clean out the tail pocket, otherwise, it gets really "FOUL and SMELLY" which the VET encountered when he cleaned it out for me. So since using the Chlorhexidine solution there is no odor any longer and Max doesn't seem to "scoot" as much (which was from the itchy tail pocket and not from the anal sacs being impacted).

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advice guys! My breeder said that she has never encountered it in any of her puppies, so I'm thinking it might be genetic? Kramers tail is longer so I'm hoping that means we'll be ok!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads