Natural Balance Potato & Duck??

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
So two different people from 2 different pet stores have told me to switch to Natural Balance Potato & Duck for my bully's allergies (they said it did wonders for their dog blah blah blah) I first wanted to check with my fellow bulldog experts on their thoughts on this food. Has anyone tried this food and what was the outcome??? Reilly has really bad outdoor and food allergies. (Chewing feet, yeast issues, hot spots) any insight would be great!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Both my babies have food allergies, but from experience do NOT play with their food. get an allergy test done and find out what your pup is allergic to. My boy went thru so much because we 'tried/tested' foods. Turned out his allergy was/is rice and my girl is chicken. The test is a simple blood test, that will run about $150.00,,,,, but will answer all your questions without messing with your baby's stomach

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What food is he on now. Usually it is food that is doing it.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
He is on Wellness Simple Rice & Salmon. Should I try Fromm instead? if so, which formula is the best for bulldogs? Thanks!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2767]reillysmom[/MENTION] I second what [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] says ... we need to know what your bully is on now before we can even start to help

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So far my bullies are on FROMM and doing good, except I heard they are using some vitamins and minerals from China and I do not like that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You may want to try switching the protein of the wellness first cuz that switch is an easy one, so long as you are switching within the wellness brand of equal value it wont be harsh on the tummy so much. After looking at their site I would say try the simple lamb or duck first and see if you can tell a difference. Being the same food it will be very easy switching. If you have already tried those or if you just want to try grain free they make the core grain free which would be another easy change although you would want to transition for that food but nothing major. The way I see it is stick with the brand you are at and try all that you can cuz maybe something diff there will work for you. As for switching to natural balance I have no personal experience with it but I would wait and then maybe try it if you feel you need to. I always say to write down a journal of what you like and dont like about each food/protein etc cuz if you are anything like me in 3 years you wont have a clue why you switched from which food. lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]... good advice!!!!!! ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i also agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] try switching within the line. try diff protein first then diff carbs. im thinking i shoulda saved myself alot of time money and vet visits and just had the test done. its been a very long road with sarah trying to find a food she wasnt allergic to. im still looking if you want to know the truth.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Thank you all for the advice! Reilly has been to the Dog Dermatologist here in Atlanta and has been allergy tested. He is allergic to grass, trees, fleas, pretty much everything outside! He is on 2 diff. allergy meds that he cannot be on for long period of time because they are bad for his liver and he gets allergy shots every 10 days... recently he has severely broke out in hives/hot spots so his dog derm now thinks its a food allergy as well (joy..) recommended i try science diet ziti (do not want to feed him that crap) so i am going to switch within his brand of wellness and see what happens. i hate seeing him suffer being all itchy!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well please let us know how it goes. if wellness doesnt do it then natural balance maybe a good choice as several here have had their bullys on it and have done ok. mine is on it now as a matter of fact but its to early to tell how its doing. seems ok this week.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
well please let us know how it goes. if wellness doesnt do it then natural balance maybe a good choice as several here have had their bullys on it and have done ok. mine is on it now as a matter of fact but its to early to tell how its doing. seems ok this week.
One thing I will add to this...but first I feel your pain with allergies. I have been through all of this with Lucy. She failed allergy shots last year. Keep your chin up. Once you get a handle on things you will see improvement. Lucy is having a great summer with a few bumps but nothing like last year.The one thing I would add is a food like natural balance LID is a good place to start if you are in the process of elimination diet because it only had one protein and one carb. Once you aour sure your pup can tolerate one protien you can move on to another and so on. It may not be the most highly rated food...but Im thankful it was available for my girl. Good luck. Allergies stink!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.