Help With Food

BostonBully

Aug 1, 2011
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Boston
Hi Guys am a new user here my name is Trent and I have a 6 month old Bully pup called Boston. We come from New Zealand. Any way ever since I have had Boston I have been looking for the best food to feed him.
The problem being here in New Zealand the two highest rated foods we have available to us from Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble are the Orijen range and the Canidae Range that is all.

When we first got Boston the breeders were feeding him Royal Cainin which after a little research I found to be a pretty average food. So I changed his diet to Orijen large puppy but after doing some more online reaserch
I found alot of people with Bullys said the protein content in Orijen was to high. This had me a little worried so I changed him to Canidae Chicken and Rice food about two weeks ago. But he has started vomiting infrequently
since then. I am not sure it is directly caused by the Canidae but the timing seems very suspect to me. He hasn't gone off his food or anything he and is still active but I have seen him vomit probably 3 times in the last two weeks.
Which has me really worried I think I will take him to the vet today. I was also thinking of moving him back to Orijen but am still worried about the high protein content 35% it is I think in the large puppy.

Any help or experience you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. It is really annoying I only have the choice between these two foods. I just want to do what is best for our pup.

Cheers

Trent

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
no help in the protein content but both are supposed to be good brands. Canidae changed their formula a while back and I saw mixed reviews, some love it and some swear it is awful so I have stayed away. Orijen is a top brand but yes protein is a concern in these pups for sure. Somebody will have better answers in that dept for you. As for randomly throwing up, my boys do this on occasion even when they are fine. I have no idea why or what causes it. I have used so many diff types of foods that I know it isnt a food that causes them to do this but in your case if it just started after the switch it very well could be?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Welcome to EBN. you will get lots of advise here. First, I will suggest you take your pup off the puppy food. Bulldogs can be switched to adult as early as 5 months old. A grain free is usually better. since the bones grow so fast in this breed, you don't need all the protein that puppy chow adds. Good Luck and please add some pictures of the pup. :yes:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
The vomiting could even be that you didn't feed him on time and his tummy had started producing the acid in anticipation of food. Was it bile vomit (yellow)? If it was, no harm no foul, once they get rid of it, they are fine. Now, if he were vomiting frequently (several times a day or even every day) then I would worry.

Orijen is a good food but yes, a bit on the high side for these guys. What are your other options there for food? If you look under the "article" section up at the top of the screen, you will see information on recommended foods.

Take care and good luck!

OP
B

BostonBully

Aug 1, 2011
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Boston
I have searched everywhere and my only two options are Canidae and Orijen. The joys of living in a small country :) . He did seem quite happy on Orijen large Puppy
but I only changed him to Canidae because I was worried about the high protein levels. I am not sure what to do? Maybe I could try another type of Canidae besides
the chicken and rice meal.

What are the problems that the high protein in orijen can cause? As he seemed really good on orijen but I did notice he was a little bit skinny maybe this was down to the high protein.

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
We are also in New Zealand (Wellington).

I do not really know the answer to your question (appears to be different views on the internet eg some say calcium is the problem not the protein, and a young wolf for instance would be getting a lot of protein).

We have fed our boy (now five years old) a lot of protein (chicken, chicken necks, hearts and giblets, beef, ox heart, sheep heart, liver etc - Pak n Save is good for this) and also walked him a lot. Compared to other breeds of dogs, he is less energetic and has had some minor leg troubles. However he is fit and well and very strong, with a very shiny coat.

He is MUCH heavier than your average bulldog (>90lbs) but is fit and muscular and can easily walk for an hour. I have however read and heard of others feeding their bulldogs raw meat diets and they are not heavier than average.

We tried him on Orijen and he didn't like it. He does like Purina meaty bites and we give him those, as although they are probably rubbish he is getting lots of goodness from his meat.

Attachments

• Aibou Duggan.jpg
    Aibou Duggan.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 115
OP
B

BostonBully

Aug 1, 2011
New Zealand
Bulldog(s) Names
Boston
Thanks for the reply hoegaandit. I do also add some meat to his diet as well. I am thinking I may keep him on Canidae and if he throws up again
may have to change him back to Orijin. Bossy seems to like all food :) I just want to make sure he has the best I can get him.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We are also in New Zealand (Wellington).

I do not really know the answer to your question (appears to be different views on the internet eg some say calcium is the problem not the protein, and a young wolf for instance would be getting a lot of protein).

We have fed our boy (now five years old) a lot of protein (chicken, chicken necks, hearts and giblets, beef, ox heart, sheep heart, liver etc - Pak n Save is good for this) and also walked him a lot. Compared to other breeds of dogs, he is less energetic and has had some minor leg troubles. However he is fit and well and very strong, with a very shiny coat.

He is MUCH heavier than your average bulldog (>90lbs) but is fit and muscular and can easily walk for an hour. I have however read and heard of others feeding their bulldogs raw meat diets and they are not heavier than average.

We tried him on Orijen and he didn't like it. He does like Purina meaty bites and we give him those, as although they are probably rubbish he is getting lots of goodness from his meat.

I am raw feeding as well and feel it is the best for mine. And of course he likes Purina! lol. Who doesn't like junk food?? Heehhe

Most Reactions