A little trouble

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm debating whether to wait this out or just go ahead and make a vet appointment. I guess I've gotten a bit dependent on this site for advice!

We adopted Bullie (almost 3 years old) last Saturday. She's been on 3 cups of Kibbles and Bits a day for 3 years in addition to treats. She usually gets 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup in the afternoon. This works for me because that's my bichon's (Gizmo) schedule as well. So, I changed Bullie's food to Blue Wilderness so it is the same as Gizmo's. The day after I got her, I put 2 3/4 cups of Kibble and 1/4 cup of Blue in a tupperware, shook it up to mix, then gave her 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup in the afternoon. I also started giving her the Blue treats in addition to his mystery treats (bunch of different i-don't-know-what-they-are treats in a plastic container).

By Thursday, Bullie's poop went runny - kinda wierd, some are firm some are runny. It is the same today. And she didn't finish her food this morning but she still downed treats with enthusiasm. I've been giving her more Blue treats than her mystery treats.

So, I'm thinking of just keeping with the 2 3/4 cup Kibble 1/4 cup Blue but ease up on the Blue treats. Is this a good idea?

Did I do the switch too fast? I was gonna start doing 2 1/2 Kibble 1/2 Blue on Sunday, but I guess I shouldn't do that yet.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I wouldn't go to the vet...sounds more like you should just lower the amount of Blue that you are mixing with her food for a few more days. Maybe just pour her regular amount of the other food and add like 20 pieces of the blue then up a bit the next day and so on. I would also not give any treats during this time that she has not previously had. I hope that made sense. lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], I would not take to vet yet, try the transition slowly and cut back on treats also when she is fully on the Blue Wilderness I would cut back on her food. We feed FROMM and our girls only get 3/4 of a cup morning and evening, and they weigh between 48 to 52 lbs, there are 3 of them. I don't know how Blue compares to FROMM, as far as the feeding amount, may have to look at the feeding amount recommended by the food company and adjust as needed as they gain or loss weight. Also sometimes it's the water change can mess them up too. hopefully her system will get better in a few days.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep I would go back a little and switch slower. Bullies tummies are so sensitive anyhow and going from such a bad food to a good one is a HUGE difference vs going from one good brand to another. Probably take your time and do a very slow switch over a couple weeks at least. I usually go overboard cuz I have too much old food vs new food and it takes a good month or so to switch. The treats are probably not the problem so much BUT if I were you I would maybe cut out all extras for now so her little tummy can settle and make her wanna eat her food more. Maybe try a little bit of canned pumpkin (100% canned, not pie filling) each day also. 1 Tbsp or so is enough to help firm up her poo a bit and make her tummy healthier. I have seen our stores are out of the pumpkin already tho this time of year so it may be hard to find but I bet you could order some online if nothing else.

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
We had trouble with Blue treats even when we had been feeding blue food for a while. We tried them two different times and eventually went back to pupparoni. It isn't terrible for them and it doesn't have chicken which our Humphrey is allergic to. He had diarrhea with them terribly and Lily even had trouble with them and she's my iron-stomach girl who rarely has trouble with anything (even legos)!

Ours each get a cup of food in the morning and a cup at night. They are both altered, so we cut them back after their spay/neuter. Is yours spayed? What's her weight like on three cups?

We were doing 2 & 1/2, but Lily (my female) was putting on a little "winter weight" even during the spring, so we cut back to 2 cups for her. Both of mine are two years old.

Priscilla

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Whoa. That's interesting about the Blue treats making your bullie have problems! My bichon doesn't eat treats too much - he eats one Blue Bones only because I "trained" him to have one a day for his teeth. Other than that, he would eat one Blue Wilderness biscuit, maybe every other day, or even one every 3 days. He's really not big on treats.

But Bullie is treat-happy. She's 60 lbs on 3 cups of Kibbles a day. And yeah, she's spayed.

Crazily, she eats ice cubes like it's a treat! So, I can do the ice-cube pumpkin and make it a treat. And just do ice-cubes and no "food" treats except for the morsels that go on her regular food bowl.

Okay, I'll scale down on the treats, keep the current food mixture and see if that helps any. Watch it for the next 2 days and see what happens. If that doesn't change anything, I'll scale down on the Blue.

You know, it could be that the Blue is finally getting into her system so that she's not as hungry as usual? Because, it's just my guess, but I would think the Kibbles is not really providing her with solid nutrients so she's eating more of it? I don't know.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Give her a little more time to adjust, BeBe has a few off days as well and some loose :poop: too, it takes awhile for them to adjust to the better food. She has been great on the TOTW and we haven't had a potty accident in 3/4 days....

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on this...

Saturday was the runniest poop ever. It's almost pee-like. We stopped the treats last Friday. When we give her treats, we use ice cubes or the kernels that normally goes in her food bowl. We still kept her at the 1/4 cup Blue to 2 3/4 cup Kibbles and Bits.

Sunday, her poop was soft-serve again. But Monday, it was almost back to normal. Today is completely normal! Yeheeeey!

We're going to keep holding off on the treats. We're going to try increasing the food bowl to 1/2 cup Blue and 2 1/2 cup Kibbles on Friday if she continues to do good. We'll worry about treats when she's completely switched over.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Whew! Glad to hear it is getting better :). It takes some time to transition but looks like you are doing well.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Whoa. That's interesting about the Blue treats making your bullie have problems! My bichon doesn't eat treats too much - he eats one Blue Bones only because I "trained" him to have one a day for his teeth. Other than that, he would eat one Blue Wilderness biscuit, maybe every other day, or even one every 3 days. He's really not big on treats.

But Bullie is treat-happy. She's 60 lbs on 3 cups of Kibbles a day. And yeah, she's spayed.

Crazily, she eats ice cubes like it's a treat! So, I can do the ice-cube pumpkin and make it a treat. And just do ice-cubes and no "food" treats except for the morsels that go on her regular food bowl.

Okay, I'll scale down on the treats, keep the current food mixture and see if that helps any. Watch it for the next 2 days and see what happens. If that doesn't change anything, I'll scale down on the Blue.

You know, it could be that the Blue is finally getting into her system so that she's not as hungry as usual? Because, it's just my guess, but I would think the Kibbles is not really providing her with solid nutrients so she's eating more of it? I don't know.

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for her. Ive looked into treats quite a bit and we are still giving HRH Blue Health Bars. She gets a 1/2 of 1 broken into about 6 pieces so she thinks she is getting a lot.. lol. We also have given her dried sweet potato cut up for the same reason ;) and she does well on that too. The problem could have come from the combination of many factors; stress of the move, water, food, treats, etc. all together. Another thing that makes good treats for some, HRH doesnt like, is veggies; particularly carrots and beans. Many here swear by them. Once Bullie is back to 'normal' you may want to try some veggies. Oh, is Bullie it's name??? There is a profile that can be filled out if you would like. :D

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for her. Ive looked into treats quite a bit and we are still giving HRH Blue Health Bars. She gets a 1/2 of 1 broken into about 6 pieces so she thinks she is getting a lot.. lol. We also have given her dried sweet potato cut up for the same reason ;) and she does well on that too. The problem could have come from the combination of many factors; stress of the move, water, food, treats, etc. all together. Another thing that makes good treats for some, HRH doesnt like, is veggies; particularly carrots and beans. Many here swear by them. Once Bullie is back to 'normal' you may want to try some veggies. Oh, is Bullie it's name??? There is a profile that can be filled out if you would like. :D
Her name is actually Bella but we've been calling her Bullie because we're anti-Twilight. Lol...I was gonna get her the pumpkin but I can't find canned pumpkin at the store. I'll work in some veggie treats when she gets stable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.