Am i a bad daddy because.....

buddy

Jun 29, 2011
Am i am bad daddy becuase i give my dog Pedigree dog food.. When i first got my buddy i was living at my parents house... We were close to running out of food so my dad went out and got him pedigree heatly somthing or other (i forget the name , its the one that has a EB on the bag) My dog loves it and refuses to eat anything else... I dont know the food rating but i know there are healthier choices out there.. He is a healthy boy and is full of energy.. Should i stick with the "if it aint broke why fix it" routine??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I wouldn't. I would switch FAST because Pedigree it a terrible food but that is me. This is how I see it, English Bulldogs are prone to way more health issues than anyother breed out there and I believe a healthy diet is a basic necessity for your overall well being (dog, human, anyone). Feeding your bully a healthy diet is very important if you want them to led a long healthy life. If you don't see any problems now I can be assured you will in the future. Your bully eating pedigree everyday is like you eating McDonalds everyday all day, not good! I am sure your bully does love the food, its junk food but just like with young children just because they want to eat candy all day doesn't mean that is the best thing for them or that their parents should allow that. I know this sounds harsh but if you change your bullys food believe me, the refusal to eat that new kibble will only last so long. When I got my beagle I changed her from crappy Iams and put her on better kibble and she refused to it the new stuff at first. She learned real quick it was that or nothing at all so she dropped that pickiness real quick and will eat anything I give her now. I love her, both of my dogs to death and I just want whats best for them. There are alot of good foods out there, if you need any help picking one out just let us know. I hope that helps :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if its suiting your dog and he is healthy then leave him on it ,karen

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
When we first got lex we had him on pedigree. After I found this site we had to switch a couple times to find the one for him now he is on avoderm. It's not the best but is better than pedigree. He's coat is shiner he seems to be having more energy, and just over all feels better.

Royandcourtney

Jul 16, 2011
Central Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Rex
When we got Rex 2 weeks ago he was on Pedigree. They people we rescued him from gave us some food with him. I immediately threw it away. Here is what it had done to him. Runny stools, hot spots, itching from head to toe, runny eyes, red eyes, eye stains that smelled in the worst way. In a two week period we are recovering with firm stools, no more itching, eyes have cleared, hot spots are healing, and he has twice the energy considering he was neutered on Monday. He went to the bathroom when he got here for the first time and it was a huge pile of corn that stunk in the worst way. He never got near that food at our house. We put him on high quality limited ingredient food grain free kibble his first evening here.We have made some changes like medicated shampoo, antibiotics, and topical sprays. I think the most important change was his diet.Your dog will thank you if you do not allow happen what we are recovering from.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would change it too. Pedigree has too many fillers like corn and made from meat- and poultry-by-products. Fillers don't have any nutritional value to our bullies. And if you research what by-product meals are, you would be surprised at the findings. I consider them left-overs of left-overs, which doesn't sound good at all!

If cost is the major factor in your decision, there are some great choices available that are a lot better than Pedigree. I heard the Costco brand food is pretty good, and there's a grain free option.

Remember, as a good bully parent, you should give him food that will benefit him in the long-run, not just short-term.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I totally agree with [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], I fed Vegas pure crap (Iams) until he was almost 1 when I found this site, the reason I found this site was Vegas was such a mess with allergies, itchy skin and he flat out stunk!! I started researching why he would smell so bad when I found this site. After a slow food change within 4 weeks he did not stink, no open sores, and allergies under control (besides seasonal) I was absolutely amazed what a difference food can make. He might seem like he is doing OK now, but I would most certainly switch for the long run. The benefits of a good food although it does cost more, is you feed less because it is not all full of fillers.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I say... depends on the dog. We had LeRoy on really good food and he lost so much weight on them. I took him to the vets numerous times thinking he had worms and all his tests were fine. I put him on Pedigree and he gained the weight back and is doing very , very well on it. The vet thinks he metabolizes the good food faster than the Pedigree. It's been over a year now and I'm staying with the Pedigree. My other dogs are doing great on Fromm, so that is what I'm sticking with.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We didn't think the Bil Jac HRH was on was having all that bad of an effect on her when we got her until after we switched to good food. We are feeding her grain free Fromm beef fritatta and she is more active, doesn't stink like a dirty dog the day after her bath and her :poo: doesn't reek from 3 doors down. And the itchy spots on her legs went away.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with not fixing it if it aint broke to a point. But in this case I would start your search for something that is healthier that works for you. It really doesnt have to be the best of the best to see a change even if you think there is no change needed. For example when I got Cutty he was on eukanuba and I thought it was some great food, I mean they sell it at petsmart and it costs a good amount. After some learning from other bully friends I realized how bad it was. Well in the meantime there was this mark on his shoulder. Looked almost like a stretch mark even. Breeder had said it was allergies from playing out in the grass she thought and gave me shampoo from the vets to wash 3 times a week. We did this and it never went away. Our bully vet told us it was an allergy but I had no idea what food allergies were so I kept shampooing and no change.... Until I changed to canidae. All of a sudden the mark disappeared like magic. Who knew?!?! Now when we were on canidae I maybe should have stayed cuz he was happy and healthy on that one but I wanted to move him to something better. Have been on the hunt ever since. Am now on fromm grain free and both boys are happy as heck with it. The only reason I didnt go back to canidae after a bit is because I heard the company changed their formula and saw a lot of complaints on the new one so I stayed away. I say start your search and if money is an issue kirklands is supposed to be a good middle of the road and easily bought from costco. Avoderm is another good one that isnt the highest in price. There are MANY that are better than pedigree. If by chance you dont see anything good come from trying a few diff other brands you can always switch back to pedigree but I have a feeling once you leave that brand you wont go back. Oh and by the way you are not a bad daddy. The fact that you are asking proves that. ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too would start doing my research and thinking of changing the food. I knew no better and had Maggie on Beneful, until I found this site. Looking back through the numerous vet visits we had whilst she was on Beneful for upset stomachs, numerous ear infections, infected wrinkles etc ... I could have saved myself a HUGE amount of money on vet bills if I had only had her on the good food from the start. We are on the Fromm 4* range ... and I like the two grain-free flavours. Maggie just looks overall so much healthier and Daddy's horrendous gas disappears on the grain-free!!!

There are a LOT of threads on here about bulldog food and the results that people have experienced with the different brands. When and if you decide to switch make sure you switch over gradually. I usually allow 10 days to swtich from one brand to another.

Your bully may look healthy right now ... but just think what could be happening to his insides!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We adopted a Bullie a few days ago. He's on Kibble and Bits. The dog looks really good, firm stools, good muscle tone, overall really good dog. My other dog is on Blue Wilderness so I mixed Blue with the Kibble the first day we got her. Her poop went runny this morning. So, now, I'm starting to wonder if I should leave well enough alone. She's been on Kibble for 3 years.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
We had Phatty on Royal Canine - Bulldog until we found this site. Had you asked us then, we would have said it's great food and Phats did well on it. However, after switching him to Fromm, the differences in his smell, skin, poop, tear stains, everything is unbelievable.

Even if your bully seems to be doing ok on the pedigree, I would try a better food just for the nutritional benefits. A better food will make your bully healthier in the long run.

It may take a while to find the right food, but I truly believe it will be worth it. If you find nothing works, then you can always go back to the pedigree and feel better knowing you tried.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.