Bladder Stones / Finally changing foods!

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi everyone. Years ago Bailey had urate stones and struvite crystals and needed surgery. Ever since i have had him on yucky Hills Science Diet U/D. He has gained tons of weight and i have done everything in my power to get his weight down (he has been on "Vegas Stew" for months and loves it) and keep him healthy. With the help of Linda Parks (my dog food angel) I am finally in the process of putting him on Fromms and just filling him with fruits and veggies to prevent stones and crystals by diluting his urine and feeding him REAL dog food.

If anyone has any more suggestions to keep his urine diluted I am open to hear and just very, very happy to be finally taking the chance. Fear of the reoccurance of stones have always made me change my mind.

He is 8 already and hoping this puts a few more great years on his life :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i dont know about stones and such but i want to say welcome to the forum and a good dog food is the very first step to good health in your bully. Im sure someone here will be able to give you some help. welcome here its a good place to be.

BennysMumma

Sep 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Benny
First I want to say your Bully is beautiful! And secondly I have to say I am sorry for what you went through. I know how that is and I'm going through the same thing. I came to this site for help and been trying to post my story on a health forum thread but it's not letting me. If you could please give me some answers in regards to what has been working for food that would be great. I am copying you my story below to let you know what we have gone through. Your help would be so appreciated!!

Benny has always been so healthy and the last few months it's been a roller coaster. He will be 6 years old October 20th, and is a puppy of the mother bully who is no longer with us. In May he could not urinate and we had to rush him to Animal ER where his bladder was about to burst. Watching him around the yard, I thought he was having trouble with constipation but after watching, there was no urine coming out, which is what he was trying to do. From trying so hard he shoved the stones all the way into his urethra, luckily they were able to flush them back into the bladder where they only had to do one procedure. The stones were sent to be analyzed and came back struvite, which are caused by the amino acids and he is to have a low protein diet, which he was put on a prescription Science Diet U/D. This food caused him to have watery stools and messed his GI track to where the mucus lining was being effected and he was having blood in his stools. The vet then said to feed him some hamburger and rice until we find him something that will work for against the stones and also not mess up his GI tract. He was only on the burger and rice for a week and a half and then he now has the stones again. He is supposed to be on a low protein diet because it's the amino acids his system cannot digest.The vet is yet to find answers for his diet. I have looked every where on the internet and called several companies regarding dog food with no luck. So 4 months and $4000 later, we are having the same surgery today! This time they were afraid he really lodged his stones in his urethra because they were stuck in the actual bone of the penis and we were looking at having a part of his penis removed. He had to be transferred from our regular bed to Board Certified Surgeon yesterday, and thankfully they were able to get the stones to move back without altering him and he will be having the surgery this afternoon to remove all of them from the bladder. They are going to send his stones to be analyzed again to see if there is more of something else. We are told he will always have a problem with these and plan on more surgeries, unless we find a proper diet. Since he was a puppy I had been feeding him,Nutro's Natural Choice Chicken, Rice Oatmeal for years. without problems. Then the U/D special diet did not work for him and I found very odd too is that the U/D does not have a trace of a normal food item in the ingredients, it's all chemical! I really need help with finding him the right low protein diet that will not cause anymore havoc to his system. I am willing to cook for him him every day if that is what I need to do! I hate seeing him go through all of this. Please help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] may be able to help

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Hi. Sorry I'm late to this (I was babysitting Mason! :luv:)

[MENTION=1531]Lkane0322[/MENTION] I'm SO glad that you have gotten him off that canned prescription crap :) that said, what I'm about to say might not make you so happy (this applies to [MENTION=6067]BennysMumma[/MENTION] too). The key to keeping these stones at bay is an all natural, REAL diet. Fromm is a great choice for healthy bullys, but neither Baiey or Benny are healthy bullys. Even if the stones magically (or surgically) disappeared tomorrow they are both at risk of re-occurance.

Why are you taking Bailey off the Vegas stew? There is nothing unhealthy in it's ingredients. Most of the nutritional needs are there too. I would add another protein source but all in all it's good food. If he is doing well on it, and he likes it I don't see a reason to stop giving it to him.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hi everyone. Years ago Bailey had urate stones and struvite crystals and needed surgery. Ever since i have had him on yucky Hills Science Diet U/D. He has gained tons of weight and i have done everything in my power to get his weight down (he has been on "Vegas Stew" for months and loves it) and keep him healthy. With the help of Linda Parks (my dog food angel) I am finally in the process of putting him on Fromms and just filling him with fruits and veggies to prevent stones and crystals by diluting his urine and feeding him REAL dog food.

If anyone has any more suggestions to keep his urine diluted I am open to hear and just very, very happy to be finally taking the chance. Fear of the reoccurance of stones have always made me change my mind.

He is 8 already and hoping this puts a few more great years on his life :)

You need to know what his urine pH is to prevent stones occurring. Sounds like especially with Bailey balance is everything. Urate form in acid urine and struvite in alkaline. You need to keep his urine pH at around 7 and you need to know where it is to do so. I also would not give him commercial food, no matter how good. He doesn't tolerate any organs and I think all Fromm's have some.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online