Switching from Puppy to Adult food

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hello all,
Wally is 8 months old now and is on Fromm Puppy (the pink bag). At what time should we start switching him to adult food? Which Fromm would be a good one to switch him to? We tried several foods before Fromm with bad results so we'd like to stick with it.
thanks for any help!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My vet said 8 months old is a good time to start on adult food but I went ahead and switched mine at about 4 months to an all stages food. We used Fromm 4* Beef Frittata and Surf & Turf because they are grain free. Wally is too too cute!

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION] guinness just turned 8 months and we just switched as well from FROMM puppy gold (pink bag) to FROMM 4 star salmon a la veg and have had GREAT results. Didn't go with a grain free food as guinness hasn't shown any allergies to this yet

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! Good to see you and sweet Wally! Jake has always been on an all stages food..since he was 8 weeks old..He is on Fromm..I started him on the surf n turf..but I think he's got a slight issue with chicken..so after a couple bags put him on the beef..and it's been great..is grain free though!

Is Wally neutered yet?? Jake and him are same age..Jake will be 8 months the 29th..thinking of having him clipped next month???

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We put Daddy gradually on the Fromm 4* range as soon as we got him because that's what Maggie was on and it made more sense to be feeding him the same. Fromm 4* is an all-stages food so is good for puppies up to adult. I know you're sticking with Fromm, but I would still gradually introduce the 4* from the puppy food he's on now. I always did the transition of increasing it slightly every 3 days and did it so the full transition took 10 days.

I wouldn't immediately go for the grain free until you know for sure he has allergies. When we originally put Maggie on the Fromm we tried the Salmon with great results. She did not do well on the chicken n veg .. allergic reaction to that although she can take the other flavours with just a small amount of chicken. We also discovered that the white fish & potato was bad for her .... a lot of bullies have allergies to potato. We finally have gone for the two grain free flavours only because it those two that FINALLy made Daddy's awful farts go away!!! :excited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
some pups come on adult food ,you can switch at any age its usually around 6 months,karen

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thanks! Wally was neutered at 4.5 months. This was recommended by the vet because he had a minor "boy" issue that has since taken care of itself. We didn't notice any change in his behavior (he's always been very calm and never been aggressive with other dogs) and he's still growing steadily.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks! Wally was neutered at 4.5 months. This was recommended by the vet because he had a minor "boy" issue that has since taken care of itself. We didn't notice any change in his behavior (he's always been very calm and never been aggressive with other dogs) and he's still growing steadily.
A boy issue...? Lol..Jake has those too! I think! He actually has an umbilical hernia from his mom chewing the cord too close! They are fixing that at same time..ok..I'm going to call and make appt..going to tell him it's YOUR fault!! :laugh:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson will be 7 months in another 10 days (@JAKEISGREAT I think I just recently told you he was 8 like Jake). We switched him over to adult food two weeks ago. We're doing Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato and Blue Buffalo and Lamb and Brown Rice. So so good but they're stools are a bit looser on the adult food, not bad but a bit loose.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wilson will 7 months in another 10 days ([MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I think I just recently told you he was 8 like Jake). We switched him over to adult food two weeks ago. We're doing Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato and Blue Buffalo and Lamb and Brown Rice. So so good but they're stools are a bit looser on the adult food, not bad but a bit loose.
Glad to know I'm not the ONLY one to have to count on their fingers! :laugh:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.