Best Puppy Food?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I may be within a week of receiving my long awaited puppy... The breeder promised to send pics today so that I can make a selection. Yes, I'll share the pics when I get them.

I have the bed, crate, puppy pads, toys, and baby wipes for wrinkle and butt wiping... check, check, check. Am I missing anything?

Anyways, I believe I have everything ready, except I still have not decided on his food. I looked at the food ratings and realized that the 6 star puppiy foods listed all have protein listed at 40 percent or more, and I realize that this is too much for BDs. Going down the list I found Wellness and Chicken Soup for the Soul at 28 percent protein... Is this a good range? I'm also wondering if I should get food made for large breed puppies... I'm thinking not, but wanted to be sure.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think your choices (either one) are good. Cannot wait to see pics!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Both of my bullies have particular reasons to have a certain food and I found one that worked for both. Abby is extremly allergic to pork and grains. I had her on Natural Balance allergy formula, Venison and Sweet Potato. But when I got Bella her congenital condition needed her to be on a lower in fat formula. To make is easier with feedings, I switched to Natural Balance Allergy formula, Sweet Potato and Bison. It is formulated for puppies and adults and covers both problems they have.

The one thing is that what ever you decide, you need to start first with what the breeder uses and slowly (about 25% per 3 days) increase into your choice. Good luck and I am happy for you.

Once you get a squishy face, you never go without.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
One thing we did with our bully when we first got him, on recommendation from breeder, was to buy the extra large dog crate at Walmart (about $70). We didn't set it up like you would think, but put both halves end to end - so it formed what looked like a big bowl. We took some plastic ties to hold the "top" right next to the "bottom". In one half we put the shredded paper and water bowl for him to go in..and on the other half we put his blankets/toys. He learned quickly which end he could "mess" in. Then, when he got to the point where he could jump out the top of it, we put the crate together the right way, and now that's where he sleeps at night, goes when we are out..etc. He actually LOVES it in there. Oh..and we finally settled on Avoderm..took us a while to get there..but it's what works best.

Here's what it looked like..right before we put it together (as you can see, he was ready to jump!)

25768_1386189583355_1490491833_1008765_7051993_n.jpg

OP
Telly03

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Great idea Lisa, and I love that picture.

We have a large crate and an expandable barrier we can set around the crate to create an area outside of his sleeping den.... should serve the same purpose. It worked really well for our Shih Tzu, and yes, she also learned to love her sleeping den.

Good tip on gradually introducing a new food... thanks!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well you sound a little excited huh? So cute, I cant wait for you to get your pup home. I think you have everything you need and any food you pick will be good, you are looking at the right ones to begin with.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.