Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you for this post, very good information. I'm going to print this off for reference. I knew most of them, but a few were new to me, so it's a good idea for everyone to read and refresh their knowledge.

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Whoops on the onions!!! Dexter really likes them! He loves blueberries & yogurt though. From what I understand, both are good for dogs too.

What about squashes? My sweet face likes to go in the garden and pick one out and I normally give him the leftovers of what I cut up.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Something else to watch out for is any kind of sugar free gum. Obviously this isn't something you would intentionally feed your dog but accidental ingestion can be fatal if the gum contains xylitol. Dentyne Ice, Orbits, and Trident are some brands that typically contain this sugar-free sweetener. Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia or liver damage, and a very small amount can be dangerous. We found this out the hard way 3 years ago when my miniature schnauzer found a piece of gum that my daughter dropped on the floor. Fortunately I saw her chewing on it and was able to get the mangled piece out of her mouth before she had actually eaten it. About an hour later she became extremely lethargic, vomitted, hid under my bed and began refusing food and water. I immediately rushed her to the emergency vet and after blood tests and 4 hours of IV fluids, the vet determined that she had xylitol poisoning from the gum. If she had actually eaten the piece she more than likely would have died. We were very lucky and blessed that our baby was ok, but we learned a huge lesson and now sugar-free gum is forbidden in our house. Just something to be aware of.

I wonder if that covers all forms of sugar alcohol or just that specific kind?

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
well after looking at that list looks like i gotta find another drinking bubdy since Ellie cant drink beer or eat nuts any more lol

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
well after looking at that list looks like i gotta find another drinking bubdy since Ellie cant drink beer or eat nuts any more lol

Seriously

Beer.jpg D'OH

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Whoops on the onions!!! Dexter really likes them! He loves blueberries & yogurt though. From what I understand, both are good for dogs too.

What about squashes? My sweet face likes to go in the garden and pick one out and I normally give him the leftovers of what I cut up.

Squash is really good for them, lots of vitamins and is commonly given to dogs with tummy troubles (it helps when they have the poops)
but only the fruit not the plant, like tomatos (and any other nightshade! ie eggplants) the plant will give the poops! :)
Oh! also you are correct on the blueberries and yogurt, both filled with great stuff for a happy pup.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This is excellent information. A good reference to keep handy in the house, maybe in your bulky first aid kit.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I went online and found some other foods and items that are poison or toxic to dogs to add to your list:

Baby food (onion powder)
Alcohol
Cooked bones ( raw chicken necks, or beef knuckles are ok)
Bread Dough ( heat in the body causes the dough to rise and produces alcohol)
Broccoli ( contains isothio cyanate can cause upset stomach if fed in amounts exceeding
10% of dogs diet)
Sugarless Gum and Candy ( contains Xylitol)
Catfood ( too high in protein)
Cigarettes and Tobacco products
Citrus Oil Extracts
Corn Cobs ( can cause intestinal blockages)
Dairy Products ( cheese and plain yogurt are ok)
Raw Eggs ( contains a protein called avidin, which causes a Biotin ( vit B ) deficiency or
Depletion
Liver ( can lead to Vitamin A toxicity)
Mouldy or spoiled foods
Mushrooms
Chives ( same as onion and garlic)
Salt
Table Scraps
Tomatoes and Tomatoe Plants
Nutmeg)
Play Dough ( due to the high salt content)
Raw or Green Potatoes
Rich Fatty Foods
Rhubarb Leaves
Food Preparation Items ( aluminum foil, candy wrappers, plastic food wrap, paper plates/cups, plastic cutlery,
Plastic beverage rings, roasting bags, turkey skewers, and lacing)
Stagnant Water from ponds, creeks, puddles, etc ( may contain harmful bacteria such as Leptospirosis, and Giardia)
Toilet Water ( toilet bowl cleaners and fresheners)

Last edited:

mikeofa2

Apr 27, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Knuckles Valentino
I believ it is the "eyes" of the potatoes we are talking about. Very poisonous. I learned this back when I was distilling Vodka. Apparently, many people die every year in Russia because they make their Vodka from old potatoes. Without proper preparation the poison from the "eyes" is concentrated into the finished product.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.