Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wanted to start a topic of things that are in most homes that can cause a severe danger to your pets.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog. While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. The dog usually vomits a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.

Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.

Beer: Hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Antifreeze: Antifreeze, due to its sweet taste, poses an extreme danger of poisoning to a dog (or cat) that either drinks from a spill or licks it off its fur. The antifreeze itself is not toxic, but is metabolized in the liver to a compound which causes kidney failure, and eventual seizures, and death. By the time symptoms are observed, the kidneys are usually too damaged for the dog to survive so acting quickly is important.

Avacados: LEAVES, STEM, PIT & BARK of tree contain Persin. The meat (fruit) part is safe, and found in foods like Avoderm and are wonderful for the dogs coat.

Apples & Apricots: The fruit is safe, the leaves and seeds are not

Human Vitamins: Most human vitamins contain large amounts of Iron, which is not good for our furry friends. Only give your pet vitamins made for dogs

Sources: Dog Obedience Training .com , ASPCA

If anyone else knows of unsafe foods, products, ect in your home, please add to the list! :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I saw somewhere that broccoli is not good for dogs but dont believe that one. Maybe too much isnt good since it causes gas? My boys eat it tho. I think you hit most everything I can think of, good list! :) Will be interesting to see what veryone else has to add.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh tomato plant is bad too I believe, not the fruit just the plant.

We learned this one first hand. Last year Vegas was trying to eat cherry tomatoes off our plant. He got the tomatoe, but also ended up eating part of the plant. Bad diarrhea for several days. This year we've taking better precautions. Vegas usually is pretty good about NOT putting stuff into his mouth, but Orion.... I caught her, again today, balancing on the back of the couch stretching to snag a tissue out of the box on the banister.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This list was emailed to EBN from Sandy, thanks Sandy!

Poisonous Foods for Dogs

Chocolate (contains Theobromine)

Onions & garlic

Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides

resulting in cyanide poisoning)

Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

Rhubarb leaves

Moldy/spoiled foods

Macadamia Nuts/Walnuts

Alcohol

Yeast dough

Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

Hops (used in home brewing)

Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

Broccoli (in large amounts)

Raisins and grapes (damages the kidneys)

Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

Nutmeg

Raw Potatoes

Turkey skin

Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal

Baby Food (can contain onion powder)

Citrus oil

Fat trimmings (Can cause pancreatitis).

Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system)

Large amounts of liver

Mushrooms

Raw fish

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson loves broccoli, I give him some all the time. Only 5 florets at a time, at the most! I can't imagine I have ever given him enough to be defined as "large amounts."

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL I know, wondering about the potatos myself, the mushrooms I can understand in a way- but potatoes?

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
That list is good to know! I wonder about the potaotes maybe because they are raw..I know Silva has had all types of cooked potatoes and never had any problems!

UKgirl1

Dec 7, 2011
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chica
Something else to watch out for is any kind of sugar free gum. Obviously this isn't something you would intentionally feed your dog but accidental ingestion can be fatal if the gum contains xylitol. Dentyne Ice, Orbits, and Trident are some brands that typically contain this sugar-free sweetener. Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia or liver damage, and a very small amount can be dangerous. We found this out the hard way 3 years ago when my miniature schnauzer found a piece of gum that my daughter dropped on the floor. Fortunately I saw her chewing on it and was able to get the mangled piece out of her mouth before she had actually eaten it. About an hour later she became extremely lethargic, vomitted, hid under my bed and began refusing food and water. I immediately rushed her to the emergency vet and after blood tests and 4 hours of IV fluids, the vet determined that she had xylitol poisoning from the gum. If she had actually eaten the piece she more than likely would have died. We were very lucky and blessed that our baby was ok, but we learned a huge lesson and now sugar-free gum is forbidden in our house. Just something to be aware of.

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Are any herbs bad for bulldogs? Abbey was really interested in my basil, oregano, and rosemary plants. (I think the smell caught her attention) I moved them to be safe but I wasn't sure.

L

lincolntaylor007

I wanted to start a topic of things that are in most homes that can cause a severe danger to your pets.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog. While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. The dog usually vomits a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.

Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.

Beer: Hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Antifreeze: Antifreeze, due to its sweet taste, poses an extreme danger of poisoning to a dog (or cat) that either drinks from a spill or licks it off its fur. The antifreeze itself is not toxic, but is metabolized in the liver to a compound which causes kidney failure, and eventual seizures, and death. By the time symptoms are observed, the kidneys are usually too damaged for the dog to survive so acting quickly is important.

Avacados: LEAVES, STEM, PIT & BARK of tree contain Persin. The meat (fruit) part is safe, and found in foods like Avoderm and are wonderful for the dogs coat.

Apples & Apricots: The fruit is safe, the leaves and seeds are not

Human Vitamins: Most human vitamins contain large amounts of Iron, which is not good for our furry friends. Only give your pet vitamins made for dogs

Sources: Dog Obedience Training .com , ASPCA

If anyone else knows of unsafe foods, products, ect in your home, please add to the list! :)

Thanks for this great post. I will be take care of this things before feeding dogs from the next time.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Always good to keep reminding people. Least we forget...any more we learn.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online