Bulldogs and Supplements...

MichelleandZach

Jul 1, 2011
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea's Roman Holiday (Roman for short!)
I am curious to know if any of you give your bulldogs supplements or recommend any type of supplements. I asked our breeder the same question and she said that she sometimes gives a chewable multi-vitamin but she said as long as you're feeding your bully high-quality food that supplements aren't really necessary. We are going to start feeding Roman "Orijen puppy" when he comes home. I just wonder that with all the potential health problems that bullies can have that supplements couldn't hurt especially as a puppy. Thoughts? :unsure:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I feed Vegas a high quality food that has Omega 3 already in it and healthy treets. He does not get any other suppliments.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i give sarah grizzly wild alaskan salmon oil and a joint supplement but she has a problem walking from a torn acl that was left by the previous owner. but i would give the salmon oil anyway as i really like what it does for my dogs. but that is all i give besides healthy treats.

Tedder

Jul 21, 2011
Bruno gets Salmon oil, vitamin C, multivitamin 3 times a week and acidophillus. Keep in mind though that Mr. Bruno is on a RAW diet and not kibble.

How do you administer the Vitamin C, and what is your dosage? I am considering buffered crystals and mega-dosing a puppy at about 500mg, 3 times per day. I have read that high doses of C can prevent hip dysplasia. What do you think?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl has had a bare side for several months. When I took her to be evaluated for her limp I mentioned she had been shedding like crazy. Vet gave me some special shampoo and a bottle of "Dr. Butchko skin care." Ingredients are, Marine Lipid Concentrate, flaxseed oil and vitamins. I'll be darned but I think that might have helped because her coat is almost filled in now. I had given up on it ever growing back. Those tablets were so big I had to cut them in quarters cause I know BabyGirl wouldn't eat such a big tablet. I was splitting them between her and Wilson. She started taking them June 19th. Do you think it is this supplement? If it is, I wish I had known sooner it would help.

She's also taking Glyco Flex III for her arthritis and Benadryl. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
How do you administer the Vitamin C, and what is your dosage? I am considering buffered crystals and mega-dosing a puppy at about 500mg, 3 times per day. I have read that high doses of C can prevent hip dysplasia. What do you think?
I give him one Ester C a day. Its a 500 MG pill that a crush into a fine powder and sprinkle on his food.
I don't know about 3 times a day. Are you saying breaking up the 500mg into 3 parts or giving him 500mg x3 times a day>>??

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
BabyGirl has had a bare side for several months. When I took her to be evaluated for her limp I mentioned she had been shedding like crazy. Vet gave me some special shampoo and a bottle of "Dr. Butchko skin care." Ingredients are, Marine Lipid Concentrate, flaxseed oil and vitamins. I'll be darned but I think that might have helped because her coat is almost filled in now. I had given up on it ever growing back. Those tablets were so big I had to cut them in quarters cause I know BabyGirl wouldn't eat such a big tablet. I was splitting them between her and Wilson. She started taking them June 19th. Do you think it is this supplement? If it is, I wish I had known sooner it would help.

She's also taking Glyco Flex III for her arthritis and Benadryl. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I :heart: Dr Butchko

The last time I was in SoCal it looked like his office was closed... I remember going to his office since I was a very little girl..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would recommend the wild salmon oil for sure. I don't really think it is necessary to add anything else since you will be feeding Orijen.

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I would recommend the wild salmon oil for sure. I don't really think it is necessary to add anything else since you will be feeding Orijen.

Where can I find the oil???? is it at Wal~Mart

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2714]HrsDiva[/MENTION] one I have seen recommended is timberworlf organics but I am sure there are others here that can recommend some. Be sure to look for one without soy.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Hi. I've been researching pet nutrition ever since I owned pets and what I learned is -

Premium dog foods are designed to be nutritionally complete and balanced. That is - everything the dog needs is present in the dog food at a specific balance that is the most optimum for your type of dog and the dog's stage in life (e.g., puppies have a different balance than adult dogs, small breeds have a different balance than large breeds, etc.).

Therefore, offering supplements, unless the dog is exhibiting medical issues - will only upset this balance and would, therefore, not be beneficial. If a dog has medical problems, then offering a supplement to combat that specific issue may be necessary at the advice of a veterinarian. Also, offering other foods as treats (human food, pupperonis, etc.) that is not within the same brand as the dog food at a significant amount can also upset this balance.

This is also true for other pets. For example, I have pet rats as well and I feed them premium Mazuri 6F rat food. Offering other foods like vegetables and such in addition to Mazuri would upset that balance as well.

Now, this is just from my own research and is what I'm following for my own pets. I am no pet expert that's for sure.

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@HrsDiva one I have seen recommended is timberworlf organics but I am sure there are others here that can recommend some. Be sure to look for one without soy.

Thanks I've been thinking about it some... her coat is still dull and some skin is still dry ( I think the bath tonight made it worse) but I do think she is detoxing a bit (ears are really gunky :puke: )

But then again I can just add an egg to her meal too and that would work !!!

she's loving the yogurt as a snack as well... I was so surprised when she was eating veggies....

I I think I will just stop right where Im at :nonono: and the AWESOME bully mommy I am and zippit for the night !!!!!!!!!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi. I've been researching pet nutrition ever since I owned pets and what I learned is -

Premium dog foods are designed to be nutritionally complete and balanced. That is - everything the dog needs is present in the dog food at a specific balance that is the most optimum for your type of dog and the dog's stage in life (e.g., puppies have a different balance than adult dogs, small breeds have a different balance than large breeds, etc.).

Therefore, offering supplements, unless the dog is exhibiting medical issues - will only upset this balance and would, therefore, not be beneficial. If a dog has medical problems, then offering a supplement to combat that specific issue may be necessary at the advice of a veterinarian. Also, offering other foods as treats (human food, pupperonis, etc.) that is not within the same brand as the dog food at a significant amount can also upset this balance.

This is also true for other pets. For example, I have pet rats as well and I feed them premium Mazuri 6F rat food. Offering other foods like vegetables and such in addition to Mazuri would upset that balance as well.

Now, this is just from my own research and is what I'm following for my own pets. I am no pet expert that's for sure.

I think most people give the wild salmon oil because many bullies have skin issues and it really seems to help.

eklikewhoa

Jul 22, 2011
Houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Heo
Most of the fish oil gel tabs i see have soybean oil in it... is that bad for them? I was feeding a different Fish oil geltab before and they loved the geltabs but when I went back the ones I found all had soybean oil in it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online