Thread: Bulldogs and Supplements...

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldogs and Supplements...

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    @HrsDiva one I have seen recommended is timberworlf organics but I am sure there are others here that can recommend some. Be sure to look for one without soy.
    Thanks I've been thinking about it some... her coat is still dull and some skin is still dry ( I think the bath tonight made it worse) but I do think she is detoxing a bit (ears are really gunky :puke: )

But then again I can just add an egg to her meal too and that would work !!!

she's loving the yogurt as a snack as well... I was so surprised when she was eating veggies....

I I think I will just stop right where Im at and the AWESOME bully mommy I am and zippit for the night !!!!!!!!!
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Hi. I've been researching pet nutrition ever since I owned pets and what I learned is -

Premium dog foods are designed to be nutritionally complete and balanced. That is - everything the dog needs is present in the dog food at a specific balance that is the most optimum for your type of dog and the dog's stage in life (e.g., puppies have a different balance than adult dogs, small breeds have a different balance than large breeds, etc.).

Therefore, offering supplements, unless the dog is exhibiting medical issues - will only upset this balance and would, therefore, not be beneficial. If a dog has medical problems, then offering a supplement to combat that specific issue may be necessary at the advice of a veterinarian. Also, offering other foods as treats (human food, pupperonis, etc.) that is not within the same brand as the dog food at a significant amount can also upset this balance.

This is also true for other pets. For example, I have pet rats as well and I feed them premium Mazuri 6F rat food. Offering other foods like vegetables and such in addition to Mazuri would upset that balance as well.

Now, this is just from my own research and is what I'm following for my own pets. I am no pet expert that's for sure.
    I think most people give the wild salmon oil because many bullies have skin issues and it really seems to help.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Heo
    Likes (Received)

Most of the fish oil gel tabs i see have soybean oil in it... is that bad for them? I was feeding a different Fish oil geltab before and they loved the geltabs but when I went back the ones I found all had soybean oil in it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

@anatess, I love your responses! You are an awesome contributor!

Real Name
    NIKKI
    Bulldog(s) Names
    REX
    Likes (Received)

I give rex wild alaskin salmon oil .. And use about 3 pumps in the morning over his food and three at night .. I have seen a big difference in his shedding .. Not sure if its the oil or the fact that he has turned one and he lost his baby coat .. I also give him an egg 1 to 2 times a week and plain yogurt here and there

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulliemom25 View Post
    @anatess , I love your responses! You are an awesome contributor!
    Thank you, @Bulliemom25 ! My husband tells me I have to re-read my posts before I hit send because he thinks I can get "preachy" sounding.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Kramer :)
    Likes (Received)

No way. I always think you have intelligent, interesting posts. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on issues, especially when it's helpful info on my baby!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads