asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
Hello,

I purchased some Zukes Wheat Free & Corn Free Zridge Edible Dental Chew Bones from PetFlow, The flavor is Cranberry Fresh Breath, and I was curious if anyone had ever purchased these small chew bones before? If so did your doggie enjoy them? The package says that they promoted clean teeth and fresh breath for your doggie. My litlle guy will not be eating them until he much bigger, but would this be considered a good treat for him or a bad treat choice? :bully:

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I tend to stick with the nylabones when it comes to bones. I want to get Chaos a deer antler too. The best and healthiest treats for your bullie are fruits and veggies. Thats the only treats he will eat, and even then he's not too big on them.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I tried a sample of a "fresh breath" kind of edible bone for Chunk once ... He chewed it into about 3 pieces ... And swallowed it. What a waste! So I stick to Nylabones and deer antlers too!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
You also want to be careful of anything that can be swallowed in a large piece. I am not familiar with this product--but an ER vet told me that products like greenies are one of the biggest problems for ingestion/blockages for dogs. Lucy has antlers, nylabones and I brush her teeth every couple of days and I think her breath is fresher than mine.

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
You also want to be careful of anything that can be swallowed in a large piece. I am not familiar with this product--but an ER vet told me that products like greenies are one of the biggest problems for ingestion/blockages for dogs. Lucy has antlers, nylabones and I brush her teeth every couple of days and I think her breath is fresher than mine.

Too bad we couldn't do a scratch-n- sniff to compare ;0)

OP
asimpson

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
My plan will be to have him try some banana and maybe pumpkin since they are soft. I am trying to thinmk of some vegetables that would be soft for him to start out on, but nothing really comes to mind. When he does his business outside I will reward him with a piece of banana or some type of soft vegetable. I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions. Everyone has been very helpful, thanks again! :bully:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=2593]asimpson[/MENTION], do you have trader joe's in kentucky? if so i would highly recommend you use their freeze dried (not dehydrated) fruits as snacks. i always have freeze dried banana slices, strawberries, and mangoes for me and butler to snack on. they are treat sized for him and not messy like fresh fruit. butler also really likes apples and pineapple. i prefer the freeze dried versions to dehydrated because there are no added sugars or preservatives. and they aren't sticky. my first two eb puppies LOVED frozen hericot verts (french green beans). When i was potty training them i used Zuke's training bits, or something like that. i know it was zukes brand and they were tiny moist treats that were free of junky crap like in most commercial dog treats.

as for chewies, all my bulls have loved nylabones. i don't have to worry and stare at them when they are chewing these. I would order them from amazon.com or a pet supply warehouse to save $$$. I have been told that pig ears are safe for puppies up to 6 months and they LOVE them, but they do need to be supervised while they are chewing these, and i throw them away when they become small enough to swallow. Bullies like to suck on things and get them all slimy and try to get it down all at once, and end up choking, so rawhides and treats of the like aren't recommended. I've heard excellent things about deer antlers, but have not tried them myself, and i just recently bought butler a steer pizzle to chew on and that seemed to go over pretty well. but it smelled like :poo:

OP
asimpson

asimpson

Jun 20, 2011
Edgewood, Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cassius aka "Cash"
I believe the dehydrated fruit will work great, but I'm not real sure I have heard of Trader Joe's. I'll do some research and see what I can find. As for the nylabones, I have heard that these go over really well with EB.
My little man comes home, on August 6th and I just have so many things that I feel like I don't know. I want to buy things that he will actually like, but I guess that is going to just come with trial and error. Thanks for the awesome advice!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Aw...I just love how you are already concerned about his happiness and he isn't home yet. That is just so GREAT!

Frozen veggies are fine for a pup...they are actually quite soft and not like little rocks. I would try the green beans first. I also give mine an occasional banana piece or a small apple piece (without the peel as they have a hard time digesting that when they are young). You can also try a small piece of cheese (mine like cheddar) which will motivate him tremendously for training.

He is SO LUCKY to have you for a momma! Be sure to post pics when you see him next.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Oh yeah, CHEESE!!! good call [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION].

You're sweet [MENTION=2593]asimpson[/MENTION], all worried about what to get. Pups are so much fun. It definitely is trial and error, and everyone here is full of great tips and advice once your baby comes home. You better post hundreds of pictures!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online