Consumer Reports says buy cheap dog food !! SHAME!!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
So glad that she sent that letter in. Shame on Consumer Reports!

kelik22

Aug 2, 2011
my letter to CR, not as educated as yours, as I'm no expert, but even I know there is a HUGE difference in the quality of pet foods...

Dear CR,
Your disappointing review of Pet Dog Foods really made me want to re-think my decision to continue to subscribe to CR Magazine.
You claim that all pet foods are manufactured to AAFCO standards(true), but then you stop there and then recommend to just pick the cheapest one you can find??? Wouldn't that be like saying McDonald's or Taco Bell meets minimum USDA human food standards, so all humans should eat there everyday of your life as it's cheapest, and, it meets the minimum USDA food requirements???
The Dog foods you recommend have a main ingredient listed as CORN OR CORN MEAL. Not MEAT. Also the meats used are BY-PRODUCTS, Not meat or meal, but organs, tissue, and intestines still with waste in them while being allowed to use diseased or sickened animals.
I have tried both cheap and high end pet foods and found there to be HUGE differences in the quality offered, which effected my pets with HUGE improvements over cheap dog foods. I currently use a Dog Food from Canada called ACANA. Its has almost twice the Protein as the ones you recommend, which in turn means I only have to feed my dog HALF of the amount of cheap foods, for cost savings you don't seem to take into consideration. Also, the one I use is made with REAL MEATS, NO BY-PRODUCTS or No grains and none of your favorite ingredient...Corn.
I really cant believe that CR thinks quality has ZERO input to your results for recommendations. The improvement in my dog after changing to higher quality dogs foods has been noticeable in their attitude, energy level and general health, along with a much improved appearance, i.e., coat shines amazingly, eyes sparkle, pure white teeth, pink healthy gums, hard nails, improved digestion, small compact poops, no "dog smell", etc...
While I understand any dog can survive on the cheap, bad quality foods you recommend, why would you feed your pet the absolute minimum level of nutrition when other options can be cost effective while providing far better ingredients. It's obvious that the people at CR are not pet owners as your pet food recommendations do a great dis-service to pets. I would hope in the future you would actually TEST the foods, rather than just compare price per pound and say they are all basically the same as they all have to meet min. AAFCO standards.
And lastly and not to offend, but...Pet dogs are still very similar to wild Wolf's and Dingo's in many ways. When was the last time you saw a Wolf or Dingo hunt for CORN? When have you ever heard of wild dogs raiding a corn crop and eating it? It's a fact that stray and wild dogs will starve rather eat grains to survive, yet the dog food you recommend is mostly CORN or GRAINS. You do realize that using these type "fillers" allow the manufacturer to replace real MEAT with these protein replacement fillers. The AFFCO only sets the standard for protein and nutritional values, not the ingredients that these values must be made from. You make no distinction of that at all. For that I really question all your testing now. I assumed my subscription was to support CR in doing REAL ACTUAL TESTING, but in this report/recommendation, you didnt do any real testing at all. CR did a total dis-service in my opinion.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Your letter is wonderful!! Good for you!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=2928]kelik22[/MENTION] Very well written letter. :welcome: to EBN. Please do an intro and tell us about yourself and your furry friend (s). :D

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
my letter to CR, not as educated as yours, as I'm no expert, but even I know there is a HUGE difference in the quality of pet foods...

Dear CR,
Your disappointing review of Pet Dog Foods really made me want to re-think my decision to continue to subscribe to CR Magazine.
You claim that all pet foods are manufactured to AAFCO standards(true), but then you stop there and then recommend to just pick the cheapest one you can find??? Wouldn't that be like saying McDonald's or Taco Bell meets minimum USDA human food standards, so all humans should eat there everyday of your life as it's cheapest, and, it meets the minimum USDA food requirements???
The Dog foods you recommend have a main ingredient listed as CORN OR CORN MEAL. Not MEAT. Also the meats used are BY-PRODUCTS, Not meat or meal, but organs, tissue, and intestines still with waste in them while being allowed to use diseased or sickened animals.
I have tried both cheap and high end pet foods and found there to be HUGE differences in the quality offered, which effected my pets with HUGE improvements over cheap dog foods. I currently use a Dog Food from Canada called ACANA. Its has almost twice the Protein as the ones you recommend, which in turn means I only have to feed my dog HALF of the amount of cheap foods, for cost savings you don't seem to take into consideration. Also, the one I use is made with REAL MEATS, NO BY-PRODUCTS or No grains and none of your favorite ingredient...Corn.
I really cant believe that CR thinks quality has ZERO input to your results for recommendations. The improvement in my dog after changing to higher quality dogs foods has been noticeable in their attitude, energy level and general health, along with a much improved appearance, i.e., coat shines amazingly, eyes sparkle, pure white teeth, pink healthy gums, hard nails, improved digestion, small compact poops, no "dog smell", etc...
While I understand any dog can survive on the cheap, bad quality foods you recommend, why would you feed your pet the absolute minimum level of nutrition when other options can be cost effective while providing far better ingredients. It's obvious that the people at CR are not pet owners as your pet food recommendations do a great dis-service to pets. I would hope in the future you would actually TEST the foods, rather than just compare price per pound and say they are all basically the same as they all have to meet min. AAFCO standards.
And lastly and not to offend, but...Pet dogs are still very similar to wild Wolf's and Dingo's in many ways. When was the last time you saw a Wolf or Dingo hunt for CORN? When have you ever heard of wild dogs raiding a corn crop and eating it? It's a fact that stray and wild dogs will starve rather eat grains to survive, yet the dog food you recommend is mostly CORN or GRAINS. You do realize that using these type "fillers" allow the manufacturer to replace real MEAT with these protein replacement fillers. The AFFCO only sets the standard for protein and nutritional values, not the ingredients that these values must be made from. You make no distinction of that at all. For that I really question all your testing now. I assumed my subscription was to support CR in doing REAL ACTUAL TESTING, but in this report/recommendation, you didnt do any real testing at all. CR did a total dis-service in my opinion.

I LOVED this letter because it points out the issue with grains and no actual quality meat. Thank you for writing that letter. Oh, and yeah! Welcome to EBN!

kelik22

Aug 2, 2011
My BD is Rooney (cuz he looks like Andy Rooney on 60Minutes). At about age 2, Rooney's allergy issues forced me to educate myself about dog foods and allergy testing confirmed that he was allergic to Chicken, Pork, Beef, Corn, most Grains, etc... I have found that a Fish based diet has no allergic effect on him, so he is a fish eater, has been for 2 years now and is thriving. I use either Acana or Orijen Fish Formula (gotta watch the amount feed as some dogs can gain weight on this high protein food) and it's such good quality dog food and has made so much the difference in his quality of life. His best friend/playmate is our rescued Terrier mutt, never gives him a break, shadows him all the time, and keeps him active all day. She also eats the same food with great results. We also have a cool Calico cat (cool for a cat, but still a cat...). Single Dad, girl 13, boy 14.     Thanks for the welcoming words...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
[MENTION=2928]kelik22[/MENTION], I love the part where you mention how it's like eating at McDonald's everyday! That is sooo true!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
AHA! Now I know where I recognize Susan Thixton from! She wrote a book called Buyer Beware about pet food.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just FYI, the October issue printed part (?) of a letter from Hilary Bencini of Weston, FL, there was no response under it though from CR. Is that anyone from here? It's just a paragraph on page 5. Someone got their attention :).

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Just FYI, the October issue printed part (?) of a letter from Hilary Bencini of Weston, FL, there was no response under it though from CR. Is that anyone from here? It's just a paragraph on page 5. Someone got their attention :).

hmmm....I would like to see that!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
hmmm....I would like to see that!
I'd scan it but I'm at home on vacation until Thursday. Guess I'll have to type it, so here what it says. :D

You say commercial pet foods with labels such as "100% nutritious" are adequate for most healthy pets. That may be, but when the first three listed ingredients are ground corn, chicken by-product meal, and corn gluten meal, I'd rather spend a few more dollars for a "premium" brand with the main ingredient a quality protein source. If I wouldn't want to consume the ingredients in the cheaper food, why would I feed it to my pets? Hilary Bencini Western, FL.

Last edited:

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd scan it but I'm at home on vacation until Thursday. Guess I'll have to type it, so here what it says. :D

You say commercial pet foods with labels such as "100% nutritious" are adequate for most healthy pets. That may be, but when the first three listed ingredients are ground corn, chicken by-product meal, and corn gluten meal, I'd rather spend a few more dollars for a "premium" brand with the main ingredient a quality protein source. If I wouldn't want to consume the ingredients in the cheaper food, why would I feed it to my pets? Hilary Bencini Western, FL.

Wow, I am glad they printed that....but I wonder how many people wrote to them about that article?? I bet they got a lot of flack! Thanks for typing it :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.