Hills Science Diet

Gunny

Jul 9, 2011
I have read a few posts here and have noticed no one recommends or uses Hills Science Diet. I have used this from my Rotty to my Pitbull days. I personally swear by it. I've always given all my dogs the puppy formula because of the higher nutritional value. It kept my beloved Blue at a consistant 126 lbs. and healthy as a 18y.o. Marine. Once Gunny got home we put him on it and bulked up a bit too. The vet was very impressed at how he improved in size and healthy wieght in a month (7 lbs to 14.8 lbs).

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Dont have experience with it personally. It is on the 1 star rating list tho. What works for one pup isnt the same for another, funny huh? I have heard that you should try and get the pups on at least a 3 star food for good health and nutrition. BUT then again we grew up in the world of purina and thought kibbles and bits were a great luxury for the pups we had and they all survived. haha Have heard the comparison that the low grade foods are more like feeding McDonalds compared to good healthy food.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I've never tried it. Chaos is on Fromm, but a lady I work with has 2 English Bullys and she swears by it. She has always fed it to Theo and Sadie and they haven't had many issues. Sadie is 5 and Theo is 3.So I don't know. I just want Chaos to have the best for him, thats why I chose a better rated food

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I also raised my dogs on Science diet, Alpo, Purina and Beneful.
I have had pitbulls, boxers and shihtzu's. I can honestly say that I never had any issues with any of those foods. The dogs were always healthy and all lived over 10 yrs.
It wasn't until I got my Bulldog that I payed more attention to food. Bruno had a few skin issues and research all pointed to what I was feeding him.
I tried several 5 and 6 star foods and although he improved a little it wasn't a 100% improvement. It wasn't until I eliminated dry kibble from his diet and switched him to RAW that he improved 100%.
My opinion is that if it works for your dogs and they are happy and healthy with no issues then go for it. Different foods for different dogs :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If you feel and have experience that your dogs are doing well on it then, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. The members here are just more aware of what they're feeding their bullies because bulldogs, generally, have a more sensitive system. Often, what labs, rotties, goldens, etc can tolerate our bullies cannot. Allergies are often exhibited by consistent wrinkle staining and other skin conditions, which aren't as evident in other breeds. On a more specific note, I read that the Hills diet consists of mainly meat- and poulty-by-products and fillers such as corn. Research doesn't regard these ingredients as high quality and is the main reason it's a 1-star food. There's also debate that vets promote them because they get a portion of the revenue.

OP
G

Gunny

Jul 9, 2011
Wow! Alot of good info. Thanks guys, i guess i'll do more research and see. Thanks.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I have also fed my dogs and cats stuff from the grocery store all my life and they were ok. I fed pedigree and alpo forever for some of my dogs and cats. Like many others it wasnt until I got my bully and her allergies that I started checking into why and found the food stuff. I was appalled at my choice of food and when I really got to looking into what was in them I was like omg. I know many pet owners who still feed it and there pets are fine and look terrific. Sarah has also been given science diet by my current vet and I fed it to her but she wouldnt really eat it so not much experience with it really. For me though unless some money issue came up I dont think I could go back to feeding those kinds of things to my pets as I have seen for myself what a better food can do for them but I dont hold it against people who do its just a personal choice really.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my st. bernard's on pedigree and they are both big and fine! But I do have the bullies on Fromm just because I don't want any allergy issues to come up. I do think they suffer a little from seasonal, because every once in a while Oliver's nose and one eye will be kind of runny and Sebastian is prone to get little red bumps on his belly and legs (Oliver too). Haven't really had to treat them with anything though, because they don't seem to be bothered by it and it clears up and then comes back. They don't itch or cough or sneeze a lot so avoiding giving them anything as long as I can.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.